Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Postby alexeyga » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:31 pm

keegster17 wrote:nice pics. Yeah looked at Melia doesn't look a whole lot better than Sol, i am sure it is, but based money I am not sure it is worth the extra for the little more you get? I think i may just go with Sol.
If you'll end up going to Sol, ask for a room to the Right (facing the water) away from the main kiteboarding area and rig at the Right (facing the water) end of the beach (which happens to be between the Sol and Melia) - it's simply a lot less crowded and less choppy. Just stay away from the swimming zone delimited by the buoys.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:35 pm

guys as i go forward with this trip, i have never brought my equipment anywhere, i have a kite bag with small wheels, not sure on length, is there any tips or restrictions for my kite stuff? I think i will be flying out of Toronto via Cubana or Canjet or maybe sunwing, I trying for Cubana, as i heard they are a little more foregiving? please share your thoughts and tips, i don't want any surprises after booking.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:34 pm

There is no way to be sure you will not get scrutinized so forget about having that nice warm feeling that everything is going to be alright.
That being said I have never had to pay extra for my gear. your best bet is to read the baggage policy for each airline, and make your decision based on the best one even if it is more money. Pack your gear within the limits of the policy and you should be good

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 pm

keegster17 wrote:guys as i go forward with this trip, i have never brought my equipment anywhere, i have a kite bag with small wheels, not sure on length, is there any tips or restrictions for my kite stuff? I think i will be flying out of Toronto via Cubana or Canjet or maybe sunwing, I trying for Cubana, as i heard they are a little more foregiving? please share your thoughts and tips, i don't want any surprises after booking.
I dont use my mystic Golf bag with wheels no more as the plane companies have tightened the weight restriction. Just a mystic venom bag.

So far I flew canjet, Cubana, Sunwing, Transat, Air Canada

In november I flew with Cubana: Cubana is pretty good on the weight, but they dont give a fu.. about the schedule though... lots of delays
they allow :
15kg for your board bag and 23 kg for the main luggage: plus another 5 or 10 for carry-on

What I do : Is 2 kites + 2 board without the pads and strap in the board bag : 15 kg
Main luggae; harness, pads and strap, 1 kite bar, 1 shorty + bootie + a bit of clothes, + the rest of hygiene stuff

carry-on : shorts, t-shirt, laptop, camera

All good ! no extra

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:57 pm

guys i have NPX, measured length and is 57" long w/ wheels. Sounds like anything is possible.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:01 am

keegster17 wrote:Yeah looked at Melia doesn't look a whole lot better than Sol, i am sure it is, but based money I am not sure it is worth the extra for the little more you get?
One of the biggest things about Cuba will be the food, many of the resorts have terrible food.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:01 am

I've been to Cuba once just over a year ago. Stayed at the Sol. It was decent and I'd go back there. The people there seemed to think it was the best bang for your buck, but then again, if you asked people at other spots they might have a different opinion.

We flew Sunwing. They were super strict about weight, and charge quite a bit for being over, at least on that day on the flight down. They do allow sports equipment in addition to regular baggage for no fee, as long as its within their allowances. Note that carry on is 5 kg, and not 10 kg like most airlines. A few books and a laptop and you're over. Forget having much connection to the outside world anyway so skip the laptop. We had to hike down to which ever resort happened to have internet working that week, and dial-up speeds.

Those resorts are separate from the rest of Cuba. You won't really see much of the "real" Cuba unless you make a trip from the resort, but there is no one hassling you trying to sell trinkets on the beach either, so that works for me.

Peter

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:47 am

foam-n-fibre wrote:I've been to Cuba once just over a year ago. Stayed at the Sol. It was decent and I'd go back there. The people there seemed to think it was the best bang for your buck, but then again, if you asked people at other spots they might have a different opinion.

We flew Sunwing. They were super strict about weight, and charge quite a bit for being over, at least on that day on the flight down. They do allow sports equipment in addition to regular baggage for no fee, as long as its within their allowances. Note that carry on is 5 kg, and not 10 kg like most airlines. A few books and a laptop and you're over. Forget having much connection to the outside world anyway so skip the laptop. We had to hike down to which ever resort happened to have internet working that week, and dial-up speeds.

Those resorts are separate from the rest of Cuba. You won't really see much of the "real" Cuba unless you make a trip from the resort, but there is no one hassling you trying to sell trinkets on the beach either, so that works for me.

Peter
if you use Sunwing buy the elite option, it will be cheaper than the over they will charge if you have too much weight, and at 10kg for a bord bag, you will be over...

Elite gives you also choice of seat plus priority boarding so you dont wait in line with all your stuff. I think it was 80 $ back then

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:28 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote: We had to hike down to which ever resort happened to have internet working that week, and dial-up speeds.
Sol got better - last time I stayed there WIFI was very stable in and near the main lobby and adequately fast.

Airlines - however - are separate subject. :angryfire: Looks like we're left with only Air Canada and Cubana who are still carrying 20kgs of kiteboarding gear with no questions asked. Transat had it cut down just recently to 10kgs to join the club with SunWing and others. Upon my last return from Cuba i've sold my wheeled board bag to replace it with something yet lighter.

The original poster is planning to fly with his g/f, so technically they have 20kg (10+10) for both of them - which shouldn't be a huge issue even with Sunwing.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:30 am

i just booked with canjet, i get 10kg for kite bag, i want to bring one board, two bars, lifejacket, two kites 14m and 10m my seat harness, pump. do you think i will go over 10kg? i think i might, i don't leave until next saturday. a little worried now. my bag does have wheels, my girlfriend is going as well, so hoping to pack some stuff in the suitcases?

Return to “Kitesurfing”