Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Island, NY
Gear: Only have a trainer kite so far
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trainer Kites: Ocean Rodeo React vs Flysurfer Viron 2 DL

Postby Marrus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:20 pm

ORSales wrote:Fold the tab into the center of the cuff so it lies back on itself (now 3 layers thick when you include that attachment square at the bottom of the picture). Then tightly re-velcro the cuff together.
I had tried that, but the tab came out when I tugged on the center line from the kite end, so we didn't think that was correct. I'll try it again and make sure the cuff is wrapped around tightly.

Thanks!

Living2Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Hq, Slingshot, Ozone, Peter Lynn.

Postby Living2Kite » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 am

Marrus wrote:Here are a couple of more pictures that hopefully show what I mean by there not being anything resembling a finger.

One end of the strap is tied to the middle lines.
Ocean Rodeo React Eject Cuff 2.jpg
The other end of the strap is attached directly to the cuff.
Ocean Rodeo React Eject Cuff 3.jpg
I don't see any finger either unless the OP is hiding it!
Why is it so hairy?
Has someone tried to tow a tram with it and all the threading has come out?

It looks like a wrist leash to me, it doesn't look right.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 pm

Living2Kite wrote:It looks like a wrist leash to me, it doesn't look right.
The harness bag has a metal D ring that is used in place of a hook on a traditional harness. The kite control bar has a release tab in the place of a traditional chicken loop so that you simply slide the release cuff up to open the tab and then slide the tab through the D ring and re-close the release cuff by sliding it down into place.

These photos of the cuff fully open are likely confusing the issue. We elected to use a soft, velcro secured release cuff as it is very easily adjusted for tension. ie, tighten the cuff and it is harder to release or loosen it for a beginner and it is much easier to activate.

The kite itself is not "leashed". There is no stopper ball or trim adjustment up the center lines. As such, if the student is not comfortable they simply let go of the bar and the kite will fall from the sky depowered. The eject is only to be used as an emergency procedure, similar to when you eject your leash as a last resort.

Hope this helps!

Living2Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Hq, Slingshot, Ozone, Peter Lynn.

Postby Living2Kite » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:56 am

I see no finger(stiff part) in his/her photo and if that's so, it's essentially just a wrist leash.
I've spent hours looking at the OR instructions and videos :D
I know exactly how this works and at this stage I see no finger.

Does OP have an update?

You have no finger? no stiff bit?

This is much like the flexifoil finger release and I would be surprised if this velcro couldn't hold that.

Does OP have a better photo?

So OP has no finger it is said. This is what it seems to me.

Marrus
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Island, NY
Gear: Only have a trainer kite so far

Postby Marrus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:33 am

Living2Kite wrote: Does OP have an update?
I finally had the coincidence of free time, absence of blizzard weather, and sufficient wind this weekend to try out the kite in the air.

I was not able to get the leash to stay secured to the harness using the folded strap and cuff, though. Maybe I just didn't get the cuff wrapped tightly enough, but it kept coming loose. I ended up just looping the cuff through the harness and tying it in a knot to keep it in place.

Overall, though, I'm quite happy with the kite itself, the lines and the bar. According to my experienced friend, they behave much like the bigger kites that he uses on the water, and I think this trainer will get me well prepared for formal lessons with a big kite when the weather warms up.

Ittiandro
Rare Poster
Gear: Not yet, will begin

Re: Trainer Kites: Ocean Rodeo React vs Flysurfer Viron 2 DLX

Postby Ittiandro » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Marrus and others

Thank you all for your input. Very informative.

I'm a windsurfer, totally new to kiting and I am excited by the idea .
I am neither a speed buff nor an adrenaline seeker. I'd be happy to cruise around with the trainer kite in light winds ( 12-15 knts), but if I am to buy a 2nd kite to enjoy the " real" thing, I'd be less inclined.
Bottom line, can any of the above mentioned trainer kites actually be used with a board or even a SUP to cruise around or are they meant to be used only to learn the "ropes",soon to be discarded to buy a full fledge kite?

I was at first considering the Hydra II 420 which is reasonably priced, but I am having second thoughts after watching a YouTube video, showing that the kite doesn't do more than bouncing the surfer, around with little power. I'm sure it has an excellent quality, but perhaps it is designed just for this and no more: a trainer kite in the literal sense.

Any comment?

Thanks

Ittiandro

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Ittiandro wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:19 pm
Marrus and others

Thank you all for your input. Very informative.

I'm a windsurfer, totally new to kiting and I am excited by the idea .
I am neither a speed buff nor an adrenaline seeker. I'd be happy to cruise around with the trainer kite in light winds ( 12-15 knts), but if I am to buy a 2nd kite to enjoy the " real" thing, I'd be less inclined.
Bottom line, can any of the above mentioned trainer kites actually be used with a board or even a SUP to cruise around or are they meant to be used only to learn the "ropes",soon to be discarded to buy a full fledge kite?

I was at first considering the Hydra II 420 which is reasonably priced, but I am having second thoughts after watching a YouTube video, showing that the kite doesn't do more than bouncing the surfer, around with little power. I'm sure it has an excellent quality, but perhaps it is designed just for this and no more: a trainer kite in the literal sense.

Any comment?

Thanks

Ittiandro
I'm not going to read 3 pages about trainer kites, so this may have already been covered, but:

1) You don't need to buy a 4 line trainer kite, in fact it may make things harder because the only purpose is to teach you how the wind window works and how to steer a kite in general, building up some basic muscle memory and reflexes to being pulled by it

2) You're not going to ride on a trainer kite. You use it for learning and then move on with lessons on a full size kite

It's a pretty simple step, no need to think too hard about it. Buy a 3m trainer kite at whatever best price you can find, fly it for a while, then take some lessons. Sell the trainer kite afterward or save it for teaching friends

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Ittiandro wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:19 pm
can any of the above mentioned trainer kites actually be used with a board or even a SUP to cruise around or are they meant to be used only to learn the "ropes",soon to be discarded to buy a full fledge kite?
Like it was said on the other thread about riding a SUP with a trainer, the Peak 4 is your best choice by a huge margin for this endeavour.

Getting a bar with short lines will help too, they are a bit hard to find though and usually home made.

Another option would be to just use giant quad line kite handles like this dude did with his Peak 2 (no bar or harness needed then):

The Peak 4 is also great because you can fly it on the beach without getting wet, any of the inflatable trainers will explode when crashed on the beach.

Also be aware that riding a SUP with a kite is quite hard. It's not a good path to learn to kitesurf. But it what you are after is a path to have fun fooling around on your SUP then it can work.

I take out my 10' inflatable SUP with my 12m or 17m kites and give the kids a ride sometimes. It works better than I thought it would and I'm able to keep upwind very easily by kneeling on the board and dragging one foot on the upwind rail to use as a sort of dagger board. I can get up on plane in 10 knots with the 17m or 12 knots with the 12m with me and at least 1 kid on board (about 210 lbs total). I have years of kiting experience though, and riding the SUP is 100% harder than riding a kiteboard.

Return to “Kitesurfing”