Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Building a kicker.

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Building a kicker.

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:50 pm

t3rse wrote:First off, the 2x4s need to be vertical. The way they laid it out on that site is weak. I've seen broken horizontal slats on a half-pipe. Second, I wouldn't use PVC pipe on the surface. Have you ever seen PVC pipe break? Imagine big nasty plastic splinters in your feet. A piece of plexi on the surface would work fine as a slide surface, as would simply coating the wood properly.
PlexiGlas will shatter just the same as PVC, if you must I would suggest Lexan it is much stronger.

thechenzo70505
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby thechenzo70505 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:15 pm

For 4' kicker 12' length is best
5' kicker 14'
You can use standard wood, just stain it before assembling for waterproofing.
3/8" sheet of HDPE is best for surface.

Floating or legs?? Kite scoop is good source for more info.
Have fun

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby t3rse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Laughingman wrote:
t3rse wrote:First off, the 2x4s need to be vertical. The way they laid it out on that site is weak. I've seen broken horizontal slats on a half-pipe. Second, I wouldn't use PVC pipe on the surface. Have you ever seen PVC pipe break? Imagine big nasty plastic splinters in your feet. A piece of plexi on the surface would work fine as a slide surface, as would simply coating the wood properly.
PlexiGlas will shatter just the same as PVC, if you must I would suggest Lexan it is much stronger.
Yeah I meant polycarbonate. However, plexi would still work on top of wood because there is no room for enough compression to cause it shatter, unlike PVC pipes that have a gaping hole running down the middle (hence why it's called laying pipe).

But I agree HPDE would work well...PTFE would probably work the best, but would be very costly.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 pm

I would make it 12' if I could, but I need to keep it as small as possible to make it portable as we have to transport it to a flat spot. Which is a bit far.

Return to “Kitesurfing”