Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best harness for lower back pain: Ion Apex select or Mys

Postby madmax7 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:42 am

After 2 weeks in Maui last year w wind everyday, I would switch between seat and waist...

When I came home, in pain, I did 2 weeks of physical therapy and they showed me exercises to do daily. Bout 15 mins worth. That I added to my regular routine

PT was 1 hr 3 days a week for 2 weeks

No back pain issues since

Nothing wrong w finding right harness...

Good luck

Max

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:27 am

madmax7 wrote:
PT was 1 hr 3 days a week for 2 weeks

Nothing wrong w finding right harness...
I forgot to mention...

PT for 8 months. So many sessions I had to patition insurance to pay for more sessions. I would do PT exercises 3 hours per day 7 days per week... Muscle activation technique same as above for 2 months..... Then finally Yoga... Still do Yoga as much as I possibly can.

Not saying the Engine Harness will cure back pain or is some how magic. Your body and mind is the only cure. The harness just helps spread the load in a really good way.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:15 am

Suffered with back pain for 30 yrs windsurfing and kitesurfing, had an Engine harness for 2 yrs and its reduced loads.

Mike

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Flyfish wrote:Engine harness.
. I was thinking to myself "you'll have to pry this harness out of my cold dead fingers". My brain says "why doesnt everybody get it?" it's soooo supportive.

It's rediculusly simple: The rigid shell spreads the load uniformly.

Because of this, the harness is smaller so it never moves from your lumbar.
I know eh... I will never buy another soft shell harness, It amazes me that anyone would still spend money on off the shelf crap.

Everything else out there is basically the same crap, unless the shell is rigid there is no way to spread the load evenly and there is no way it will not squeeze in on the sides, this pinches your back and puts the load onto the sides of your spine. Sure you can add height and lots of padding and soft outer material to make it better but that will not stop it from collapsing around your back.

taiguy
Medium Poster

Postby taiguy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Rode a mystic warrior harness for 4 years (still have it) however, I'm now a big fan of the Dakine Nitrous shorts/seat harness. It basically incorporates a waist and thigh slings, like a rock climbing harness, into a pair of board shorts. I use this combined with a Jay bar and it's so damn comfortable. You get a lower tow point and still have tons of freedom.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:31 am

I have tried many waist harnesses. The best I have found by far is Engine. Yes, it takes longer for a custom harness and it costs a bit more too, but it is worth every cent.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:21 am

Hey there, Poosibly those molded harnesses are realy good BUT I would be very hesitant to it if I live in an area that require the use of thick wetsutits or drysuits part of the year. Then the harness will certainly not fit at all.

I have used the Mystic Darkrider (yes very old) and OR Session2 and now I´m on the Dakine Fusion (seat harness) combined with a DIY sliding bar. I have used my sliding bar an ALL mentioned harnesses above.

The Dakine Fusion is (for me) by far the most comfy harness.

/Urban.

jsquid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Point, Sauble, Oliphant, Wasaga
Favorite Beaches: KP, Long Bay (TCI), Long Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 and XR4 LW
Carved Imperator V
Core Fusion
Core Fusion LW
Core Ripper 2
Brand Affiliation: Hangtime Kiteboarding

Postby jsquid » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Telekiter wrote:Hey there, Poosibly those molded harnesses are realy good BUT I would be very hesitant to it if I live in an area that require the use of thick wetsutits or drysuits part of the year. Then the harness will certainly not fit at all.

Don't be so certain, I live in one of those areas and I use my Engine harness with just a rash guard, a 2mm shorty, a 5/4/3/ wetsuit, and with an OR Soul Drysuit. Fits fine in each of those situations.

Sportentusiast
Rare Poster
Gear: Kites & Boards...
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby Sportentusiast » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:24 pm

With the risk of creating more confusion I´ll put yet another harness on the list and that is the Manera Exo.

FYI, we are distributing F-One and Manera in Sweden so you might think that I´m totally biased and just "pimping". I´m however also a physioterapist since more than 20 years and have been working with some top athletes competing on international level so I at least have a fair understanding of back problems and would NEVER recommend anything that I didn´t believe in and have experience with.

The problematic thing with "back problems" is that there are so many variables affecting / creating this problem so no one-solution-does-it-all is applicable if you ask me. Still it´s very important to listen to the people writing about their experiences since it will give you a bit of guidance in the harness jungle.

I can only compare the Manera Exo harness with the different Mystic harness that I, my close surrounding and now customers been using for about 10 years and I strongly belive that the Exo does a better job with load distribution. If this harness will do the job for you or if it works better than the other harness recommended I of course can´t tell but we at least have good experience with it.

Best of luck with your choice no matter what harness you´ll buy!

Bengt-Erik

senorparker
Rare Poster

Postby senorparker » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:52 pm

Engine Ride's website is showing that the harness is out of stock. I emailed Coleman (owner/founder) a couple of days ago to see if they're taking orders. I haven't heard back. Anybody know the story? I would imagine it is very difficult to keep up with demand and perhaps they need a break from new orders.

Return to “Kitesurfing”