xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting around Seattle in April

Postby dafish » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:11 am

Hey all,
I am currently on a nine month travel escapade and am visiting some places I have never been. Just arrived last week to Southern Cal coming in from where I live in Australia. I am going to be in Whidbey Island in April and wondered if I should bring my gear. Have a full quiver, but only a 4/3 wetsuit. Have some new kites for people to try and a couple of surfboards from a new company called Distrupt. Happy to let anyone have a go on my gear providing they are competent. Not a fan of the cold water, but I am going to be on the island for a week while my wife runs an art workshop. (the reason I am traveling the world right now is that she is teaching all over the planet...tough gig I know but someone has to do it!) Would love to meet anyone in the area, just need to learn a few details and see if it is worth bringing the gear that time of year. Also, what is the water temp etc. Looks damn cold.
Cheers and hope to meet up with some of you on either coast and then Europe towards the end of May.

eabmoto
Rare Poster
Gear: BWS kites

Re: Kiting around Seattle in April

Postby eabmoto » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:24 pm

April has lots of potential. There are good spots on whidby island. Check out PSKITE.ORG. lots of info about the area.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Lot's of potential in the area.

For April weather and considering that you don't like cold water, you may be chilly in a 4:3 wetsuit. You may want to wear some merino under the suit or put on a cheap windbreaker on the outside to block some of the chill.

You could see anything from 7m to 17m conditions.

If you have a chance to come over to Victoria, BC, on Vancouver Island, it would be cool to show you some local spots.

Enjoy the area, it's beautiful.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:45 pm

Just to be clear while Whidbey Island is technically an island, it's not really an island. There are two very short bridges to get to the mainland at the North end and Ferries on the South if you don't want to drive all the way around.

There are loads of potential sailing days to be had in the area in April, but may involve an hour drive to get to.

If you only have a 4/3 I hope it's a good quality front zip 4/3 and I would stay close to shore as you'll be okay riding but not swimming.

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma

Postby dafish » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Thanks for the info. I did think it would be rather cold, might see if I can rent something up that way. I don't mind driving an hour or more to kite, I have plenty of exploring time. Any of the surf/kite shops rent 5/4's ? I surfed in Oregon years ago and never felt so cold and alone in my life. At least with kiting I don't have to duck dive rolling ice cream.
Don't have time to get to Vancouver Island this time, (have been there before and love it) but will be there next year as my wife is scheduled to teach there in 2016) so will definitely be looking for some wind.

eabmoto
Rare Poster

Postby eabmoto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:38 pm

You'll be fine in your 4/3. You'll want booties and a hoodie though. There's lots of spots, especially within an hours drive. It all depends on the direction of the Wind and where the Wind happens to be that day. Feel free to pm me when it gets closer and I can help figure out what will be happening when you're here. About a week out is when you can start to see what the potential will be. Urban surf shop is where I recommend looking into gear or renting.

eabmoto
Rare Poster

Postby eabmoto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:40 pm

I live just north of Seattle with kiting right down the street. Maybe we'll kite together when you're here.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Yeah dude. April generally has a lot of windy days in Seattle. Check out Double Bluff for southerlies with waves at low tide. On big westerly pushes there are great waves at West Beach. For northerlies drive over to Bay View. Whidbey island is probably one of the windiest spots in Puget Sound. Just rock a 5/4 wetsuit and you'll be good. We throw down year round up there. Go big!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:06 pm

The best shop in the region is KPS in Bellingham, they don't rent anything but you can get great deals.

http://kitepaddlesurf.com/

The nearest places that rent suits are 5 hours away.

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma

Postby dafish » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:50 am

Awesome dudes, I am up for it. Willing to drive where ever as that is my primary interest while there. Left the booties at home, have gloves, but no hoodie. The vids I have been checking out do look cold! brrrrr. But I love kiting new places so I will try and find some rubber to make it work. As I mentioned earlier, have some demo gear from FLow kites, and Disrupt Surfboards for anyone to try providing there is enough wind. I also have a brand spanker new 14.5 BMR Cloud that I am looking forward to trying out as a lightwind setup. I am primarily a wave kiter, and am not traveling with a tt, but I don't mind hopping on tts every now and then. Will be in touch as it gets closer, just booked flights today.

Return to “Kitesurfing”