Local Beach: Sandbanks Poole
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay CPT Silver sands,WA
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Decline?

Postby fcwatersports » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:26 pm

What do you guys all think is kitesurfing on the decline? and if so what are you doing now if your not kiting so much? i guess as a retailer its interesting to find out the reasons why and how shops can improve and what do you expect from your shops?..

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Kitesurfing in Decline?

Postby NYKiter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:09 pm

No. There are only a handful of brick and mortar shops - most are online.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:44 pm

fcwatersports wrote:What do you guys all think is kitesurfing on the decline?.....
Way too many kiters out there, from what I see at my spots. I hope they get bored of kiting soon and take up the next big thing, which preferably is some kind of computer game :D

I haven't seen the inside of a kite shop in years. I get my stuff - kit and spares - from people I know, online, or I make it myself (boards, bars, harness).

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Kiting's not in decline, over price old mens brands of yesterday may not be selling as well as they were, but kite schools still get busy. 2nd hand market is also buoyant you have only to check out Facebook to see that.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 pm

like bubba said, "it's the economy, stupid" purchasing is slow, but participation continues...

jb92563
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Elsinore, CA
Belmont Shores, CA
Gear: Blade FatLadyV4 17m, North Rhino7 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: Band-Aid

Postby jb92563 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:21 pm

As someone getting started myself, the impression of the masses is that its a very dangerous sport for athletic young kids.

Its hard to imagine how you can fly a kite and balance on a board at the same time...seems nearly impossible at first glance. Also looks like a very physically demanding extreme sport. Seeing beginners being dragged down the beach with their heels dug in, slamming kites into the ground/water hard etc looks like something for crazy fools.

The fact that kites are banned at some beaches further reinforces the danger impression.

The gear names and lingo further reinforce the danger impression. i.e. Impact vest, oh shit handle, suicide bar mode, iron heart release, Self Rescue, Body Drag, getting lofted, skyed etc.

I think that its mostly a PR issue and that if shops had some public demo days where they could see skilled kiters doing their thing, hear some advice on what its like and how to get started and try a trainer kite etc it would go a long way towards generating more customers once they see how cool and relatively easy and safe it can be.

Thats an advantage of a community brick and mortar shop has over an online only shop. I think it would be smart for shops to leverage that advantage and utilize their community presence to promote the sport and in turn their products and services.

According to the stats, kitesurfing is one of the fastest growing water sports and generates around 100,000 new participants globally each year, and they all need instruction, good locations and gear.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:26 pm

I absolutely do not see many of the regulars that were around when I started. Now if I see them a few times a year I'm surprised, but there are twice as many new people taking their places.
Some of them are SUP'n, others bought motorcycles, one guy is into archery now, others are in new relationships and others are having babies. I wouldn't say kiting is declining I would say it is evolving as peoples lives evolve.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Bunch a quitters!

I can see how the barriers keep going up. I'm down to my last pump... thing is literally held together by duct tape, and I cant seem to find a replacement for less than $40 plus shipping. They used to be complimentary with kites and set you back 20 for a replacement..... hmmm they haven't exactly evolved much either.

Bars used to be 250 now their 500. I've mentally divorced my bar and kite purchasing habbits and look to the used market for both. In fact now that I think about it, my entire quiver has turned over from a couple years ago. Replaces all kites bought new with twice as many kites all bought used.

Love the above post about the language and perceptions of the sport. If it keeps the crowds a little thinner... great. I think most of that is us thinking too highly of ourselves. Donkey dick... bahahahah!

Cant wait for the used foil market to start maturing!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:20 pm

Starsky wrote:Bunch a quitters!

I can see how the barriers keep going up. I'm down to my last pump... thing is literally held together by duct tape, and I cant seem to find a replacement for less than $40 plus shipping. They used to be complimentary with kites and set you back 20 for a replacement..... hmmm they haven't exactly evolved much either.

Bars used to be 250 now their 500. I've mentally divorced my bar and kite purchasing habbits and look to the used market for both. In fact now that I think about it, my entire quiver has turned over from a couple years ago. Replaces all kites bought new with twice as many kites all bought used.

Love the above post about the language and perceptions of the sport. If it keeps the crowds a little thinner... great. I think most of that is us thinking too highly of ourselves. Donkey dick... bahahahah!

Cant wait for the used foil market to start maturing!
Seriously, I just threw two (used) working pumps away. If you are ever down my way I am sure I can scrounge up another. Use my electric pump 99% of the time only need one manual for a backup.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 pm

jb92563 wrote:Noob... dangerous ... Body Drag,....

It's "Body Bag".

Return to “Kitesurfing”