Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best free ride board on the market

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:23 am

Yeh it's a very personal thing. I'm the same as above never clicked with any on the shinn boards. But I do like my boards a bit stiffer and some channeling in the bottom. It all depends. Had makos to, in the end didn't really dig them either. Ride and find out yourself. You have a good list so far.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby zig zag » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:49 am

I 5th the Ocean Rodeo Mako... the 135 is super fun in all types of conditions! it might not be the best at everything but it can do it all!
the size range can cover many types riding / weights etc and some people have a couple 135 / 150!

word is that they've made a surf board style mako king called the Duke!!!

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:46 am

Ocean Rodeo Mako.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 pm

I went for a shinn Dundee. Feels like a magic carpet over chop, not quite the terminal speed of a monk, but carves a little better. As westozz, there are much stiffer boards out there. We're all after something different, so grab a few a try them.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:45 pm

My favorite so far has been a Cabrhina Tronic, excellent in chop and surf. I just picked up a litewave KickS , hopefully will get my first rides on it in the next few days. The shape and flex look great, lots of rocker but flat in the middle for more speed. Also has incredible amount of concave, not as much as Mako , but not far behind. I will post review after first session..

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Yep, As others has said there is no one board to rule them all.

It depends or your style, weight, water conditions, wind speed, What feel you enjoy.

Also at any given local there could be 3-4 different types of boards that will be better on any given day depending on the conditions.

As a general rule Squarer tipped boards will load and pop better and go upwind better. ]
The rounded boards (like mako, tronic) wont load and pop or go upwind as well but they will carve better ride waves better and be smoother through chop.

Higher rockered boards will be smoother in chop and smoother on landings by worse upwind.

So you need to decide whats important to you.

Upwind perfomance.........................................................................................................smooth in chop/carving

You can't have your cake and eat it too. So you cannot have incredible upwind, awesome wave performance smooth as silk in the chop awesome for load and pop, super soft landings all in one board.

You have to "rob peter to pay paul" in board design.

So your job is to find the feature that are important to you and search out a board that has those features.

Return to “Kitesurfing”