Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Death Looping Kites...how to stop them?

forum for kitesurfers

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Re: Death Looping Kites...how to stop them?

Postby alamos_kiter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm sure it can be done. Only problem is R&D cost, as somebody mentioned. This is a tricky device, the standard is quite high, malfunction is life threatening either way, if it fires through a mega loop, or doesn't fire when it counts. Must not contain explosives either as you want to air travel with it, asf.

Not my cup of tea, but good luck.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Frank82 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:49 am

Still kooking hmm?

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:53 pm

This solution should solve one problem. If one back line is tangled around the bar it will spin as soon as there is pull. Let see if some brand will test this solution and come back with a feedback.
Attachments
spinningbarends.jpg

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Toby wrote:if I see someone death looping I will try to save them. Sure, prevention if possible.
That's why I also ride an 18 ! no death looping there!

I initially had the idea of hitting the looping kite with my board...this way I wouldn't get into trouble myself, specially when trying to catch it...

Using a knife and cutting lines is another tuff task to do while your kite is up.

So, we also need to talk about what the bystander can do, not only the person in trouble.
Yes, as you 1st stated in the title of your Original Post: You were wondering, how could I have helped that person being dragged to their death? Right? Shouting release! at them might not work because if they haven't released already there might be some reason. Only 3 more loops and the poor unfortunate person gets rammed headfirst into THE FEEDING CHUTE OF A GIANT REVVED UP TREE CHIPPER! I gotta do something quickly! I can see the poor soul is frantically thumbing his remote kite exploder but as luck would have it, the battery has gone flat.

I have found most realistic, effective way is put yourself at risk by going straight for the kite and grabbing it by the leading edge and dragging it upwind.

It's sometimes not that difficult, but you don't want to miss that 1st attempt. In most cases it's the quickest sure fire way to neutralize a looping kite. I have grabbed kites that way while flying mine (had to). Fellow kiters have done the same for me a few times as well. So far so good. I guess if its freewheeling in 40 knots theres no way, but in most cases the kite is catching on the sand or water briefly and thats when you can get it.

THEN you can go scold the guy for not ditching. I guess this method could go horribly wrong. But with that much adrenaline running, in my experience, you catch the kite and it's done.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:03 am

Frank 82. Many of us are kooks from time to time. I would like to speak to you, privately.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis

Postby Frank82 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 am

windrupted wrote:Frank 82. Many of us are kooks from time to time. I would like to speak to you, privately.
Uh no, there's beginners and then there's kooks. Kooks are people who aren't supposed to be kiting in the first place, they don't know anything about the gear they ride, have no common sense and just act like morons. Beginners are just inexperienced and will progress over time.

The people who usually get into trouble are kooks like the guy in the vid from cape town who uses a north vegas while he clearly has no idea what he's doing.

Other kooks are guys wearing full safety rig including helmets, vests, sunglasses, boardleashes and whatever other crap they can attach to their harnasses. They usually mow the lawn and turn without looking, they have no idea about the rules of sailing and get into panic mode when something happens.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:43 am

@wstrange: good idea!
@alamos: at the moment, your life depends on less than an additional safety device. It's like saying for your car "do my life depend on an airbag?". Do you think it's better without it?

cichenlùp
Medium Poster
Gear: Kite: RRD Obsession 12 - 9
Board: Arriba Arriba

Postby cichenlùp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 pm

jaystore wrote:This solution should solve one problem. If one back line is tangled around the bar it will spin as soon as there is pull. Let see if some brand will test this solution and come back with a feedback.
It's not supposed to solve any problem, but sure it would be a huge step... why does any brand has not been working on it yet?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:15 pm

cichenlùp wrote:.... why does any brand has not been working on it yet?
The solutions are all out there. BRM has a bar / harness combo suitable for 99% of the riders - those who don't ride unhooked - which takes away the main issues:
- no hook
- no raised bar ends
- no floaters where things get stuck,
- no dangling leash

On top, it's KISS design, and anybody with just a little skill could make one him- or herself for 30 bucks, with any old bar and a bit of dyneema from ebay, if you didn't have the money to buy a BRM one. Don't buy a kite known to be prone for death loops, hone your skill, and that's about it.

The gear its not the issue. It's awareness. You just can't make people open their eyes.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Frank82 wrote:
windrupted wrote:Frank 82. Many of us are kooks from time to time. I would like to speak to you, privately.
Uh no, there's beginners and then there's kooks. Kooks are people who aren't supposed to be kiting in the first place, they don't know anything about the gear they ride, have no common sense and just act like morons. Beginners are just inexperienced and will progress over time.

The people who usually get into trouble are kooks like the guy in the vid from cape town who uses a north vegas while he clearly has no idea what he's doing.

Other kooks are guys wearing full safety rig including helmets, vests, sunglasses, boardleashes and whatever other crap they can attach to their harnasses. They usually mow the lawn and turn without looking, they have no idea about the rules of sailing and get into panic mode when something happens.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Beware of the kooky monsters.

Return to “Kitesurfing”