Local Beach: Isle of Wight
Gear: CORE GTS4 7,9,12
Slingshot Turbine 2012 17m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Waist Harness Problems

Postby PeterB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Hey again guys,

I've been riding a size small Dakine Chamelon waist 2013 for the past two years now and I have been consistently struggling to keep it around my waist; almost every session it seems to rise up and the spreader bar ends up at a diagonal angle just below my nipples :(

I cannot seem to do it up any more; even when I have taken it off. The straps are stiff as anything.

Is the Harness the wrong size? Im 32 waist in jeans normally and its 5mm wetsuit season where I am
Am I being too weak or something?

Please help as I do not understand what I can do

ZigZag
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Waist Harness Problems

Postby ZigZag » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:15 pm

There are 3 things you can try:

1. Maybe you keep the kite too high, and your stance may be too upright. Try riding with the kite at a 45^ angle, and hike out over the board at a 45^ angle as well. Then the kite will be pulling on the harness perpendicular to your body.

2. Get a bigger board, and use a smaller kite. The kite will pull less, so less chance of the harness riding up.

3. If your chest is the same size as your waist, then you really do have a problem. Some push up and pull up exercises to develop the pectoral and the latissimus muscles will help.

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Gear: Kites

Postby dwaynej » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Riding stance and riding ability.

Need to always be perpendicular to kite lines. If you are falling at all, the harness is going to ride up and best way to reset without landing your kite is to lie in the water facing up at the kite at 11-1 and push the harness down.

I changed back to my seat harness when I took up foil boarding as the numerous beginner spills meant my waist harness was going to ride up on me.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:45 pm

PeterB wrote:been consistently struggling to keep it around my waist; almost every session it seems to rise up and the spreader bar ends up at a diagonal angle just below my nipples :(I cannot seem to do it up any more; even when I have taken it off.

get a seat harness. some people just dont work well with a waist harness. Thank goodness you have a choice of really fashionable nice looking seat harnesses, gone are the days when seat harness meant it looked like you were riding a diaper.

I don't ride my waist harness as loose as dimitri does but I usually have an inch or so of slack in my waist harness, it's how you ride that makes it ride up. I keep my kite pretty low and that brings the harness down.

PeterB
Medium Poster

Postby PeterB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I definetly think I have been standing up too high and have been keeping the kite high. Fortunately my chest is bigger than my waist though! haha

I would really like to keep going with the waist harness untill all other routes are no good as I like the "free" feeling.

Please keep suggestions coming through if there's anything more people can add!

Also I have two new questions! :)
1) How can I make the harnesses easier to do up?
2) Out of curiosity, what is the main difference in design between the Ladies and Mens harnesses? Is there much in it?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:39 pm

I think women's harnesses are just smaller

Definitely just practice on keeping it down, I ride with my kite at 45° or below and use my abs to actively push my harness down... You can kinda squirm a bit while riding to hold it in place if you kite is low enough

Sometimes after a jump or a crash it will turn into a chest harness, but you can just push it back down when riding again

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:42 am

I'm in about the same boat- 30 inch waist and not much of a chest. I've been kiting for years and just can't keep a waist harness from crawling up unless I am really underpowered. I've ended up with a board-short harness, it isn't perfect but it is the best solution I've found yet. A lot of people will say it all comes down to keeping the kite too high, but I really don't believe that is always the case. If you are just starting out and you always keep the kite high up, sure, change that first. Otherwise, just get a seat harness or board-short harness.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:40 am

possibly do some chin ups

failing that get some steroids :wink:

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:23 am

I've had the same harnas and it's crap, during a big crash the spreader bar rotated and plowed itself between my ribs, now I've got a nice big egg of cartilage where that happened. My advise: get a mystic warrior or ion apex and all your troubles will be gone.

PeterB
Medium Poster

Postby PeterB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:41 am

Frank82 wrote:I've had the same harnas and it's crap, during a big crash the spreader bar rotated and plowed itself between my ribs, now I've got a nice big egg of cartilage where that happened. My advise: get a mystic warrior or ion apex and all your troubles will be gone.
That's interesting, did it often ride up for you too then?

I was wondering r.e the ladies harness as they state "sculpted to curves" etc but I could get my hands on a size L naish alana; which looks pretty cool too though.

If I still find it riding up after I significantly change my riding behaviour over a few sessions may consider a change, as I have gained around 10kgs since I bought it. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”