Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Simulator - real progress possible?

forum for kitesurfers

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kite Simulator - real progress possible?

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 pm

just watched this...will be interesting if it gets people going earlier. Interesting for sure!

jb92563
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Lake Elsinore, CA
Belmont Shores, CA
Gear: Blade FatLadyV4 17m, North Rhino7 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: Band-Aid

Re: Kite Simulator - real progress possible?

Postby jb92563 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Looks like its basically a game controller at this point, but I'll bet phase 2 of the development could add line feedback, pull etc and phase 3 could be to add the board.

Seems like it would be cheaper and more effective to actually do some kiting on the beach.

It may be a way to get people interested at shows and expose people that would otherwise not encounter kiting.

Eurus
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Eurus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:47 pm

This is nothing more than a game until they add the realistic feeling of being on a board. That's at least half of the equation for a beginner. Once a rider gets up and going they usually either get yanked off of a board and face plant by leaning too far over their center of gravity or they bog the kite down with T-Rex arms and the poop squat and end up sinking into the water while they back stall the kite.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:40 pm

WTF??? what's next, a dope simulator?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:11 am

Can ya simulate a jump? Now that would be cool.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:38 am

but for learning how to steer a kite it could help...specially when no wind...or doing winter ;-)

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:42 am

I think it's pretty cool and with the technology these days, anything is possible.

I am interested in seeing jump simulators people have built in their yards. I remember one in a warehouse about a dozen years ago that looked really fun, but haven't found the video again.

I'm thinking about making one of these too- looks like a blast!

-KTB

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:26 am

Well I have a really rudimentary one in my shed. Basically it's a north bar, with depower rope, depower cleat, micro hook and all where a rope goes through the pulley and is attached to a beam braced in the roof. I set the height so my feet just touch the ground inside the straps on top of some matresses of course. I use a shitty old Airush small board without the fins as the board gets chucked around a fair bit.

The back line pig Tails are then attached to some kite line that goes through a pulley attached to the roof, across to the other side, which then goes through another pulley and back down to the other pigtail. It is set at an angle that roughly mirrors where the kite will be during a vertical jump for a board off.

By pushing off your back foot and rotating body in your normal jump direction (can go either way I suppose) it tends to emulate not the initial jump phase (although releasing off your back foot and pulling the bar kind of does it, but not really) but it kind of resembles the point you take the board off. You do the trick then your hand on the bar pulls you back (via the back line pulley set up) to emulate the redirection of the kite to get the board back on.

It is really rudimentary but I swear it has allowed me to leave the other crew well and truly being me in this style anyway. If you give the back lines some more slack you can even sort of emulate rotational board of work...although going to a fixed point (your front lines) it once again is not perfect.

For example I'm letting fear mess with me when doing king of deadmans. Don't know why, just can't keep my shit together. So I spent two days with no wind just getting the sequence and important focus points right. Next session did my first one without fear, without rushing.

Needless to say the second one I ate shit again, but that's just part of learning. But when I ate shit I was calm about it. I was like, 'oh I'm going to eat shit now'.

But becuase I had spent two days getting into and out of hanging upside down with the board below me, I wasn't as disorientated on the water, and could minimise the crashes effects.

It also serves as a brilliant core workout. f*** doing sit-ups, I just get on this thing and have fun.

It isn't like the real thing and ideally it could me made much better (I have ideas) but you know what, it works, so I've just left it simply as it is.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:58 am

I think I remember you posting a pic of that one.
I poked around and found the warehouse one where they used a counter weight 15 kg less than their body weight-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGBVCd3Wgs

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am

Hey that's a cool idea hey. I don't have the height available for that. Again the only problem with that device is once airborne there is little simulation of the kite pulling you as the kite naturally redirects. While the height and float simulation is far superior than mine, if someone could think of getting the back lines in play, would be almost perfect.

With mine rudimentary system, you are at least have the more realistic body orientation, as they back lines through the pulleys, pull you back into position...gives you a more realistic time frame.

But the vertical lift simulation and doing the trick with this in play is better simulated there.

Some may say just get on the water...true, but I would bet you'd be hard pressed to find many who get more water hours than us...

I'm a big fan of simulation as I've experienced it working first hand.

That vid has me thinking now....

Return to “Kitesurfing”