Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: romania, mamaia north
Favorite Beaches: Gockceada, Paros
Gear: north rebel 2012, 9m, 12m.
crazyfly raptor pro ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Steady wind and flat water in Algarve

Postby tudorkyrilov » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi, everyone, I plan to go to Portugal, Algarve, beginning of july. Does anyone have knowledge of flat, steadywind spots downthere? I'm not into waves and from what i've read Alvor looks like a nice place but i understand the wind is kinda gusty there...Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Steady wind and flat water in Algarve

Postby polarstorm » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:52 pm

tudorkyrilov wrote:Hi, everyone, I plan to go to Portugal, Algarve, beginning of july. Does anyone have knowledge of flat, steadywind spots downthere? I'm not into waves and from what i've read Alvor looks like a nice place but i understand the wind is kinda gusty there...Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
You're going during the busiest period of the year, it would be safe to say that there are no spots other than the ria at Alvor (yes gusty cause its coming over the mountain there but a great spot nonetheness - that's NW) then you have ocean side .. not flat. Best to speak to the guys at Alvor Kite Center they'll take good care of you. The only other option is further east at Ilha de Tavira which is around Faro (also less expensive).. the rest of the Algarve will be crowded at that time, with all the small beaches fully lotted by european tourism; reminder that you cannot launch or ride in the concessioned areas which for small beaches comprises of most of the beach. 200m out is the designated ride area from a concession area if I'm not mistaken, in other words looks for another spot. Also needless to say ballpark prices for everything* in the Algarve is 2 to 3x that of the rest of the country based on my experience. Consider the west coast.. also forget west of Alvor.. the cliffs are majestic which causes a huge amount of turbulence. No riding there. I know ..I've traveled the entire coastline from Nazare to Spain.. every beach. Hope to do it again soon. Good luck. Stay out of the concessions. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”