Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Duke - A Nobel Addition To The OR Mako Family

Postby randycasburn » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:20 pm

First - Thanks to everyone in this thread.

I bought my Duke yesterday. We seem to have the perfect conditions for this board where I kite - small-mushy-sloppy-bumpy surf. We have a setup like OBX where we have surf in the Gulf of Mexico and, opposite a barrier island, a flat water bay.

I'm a twin-tip only rider - until yesterday anyway. So I add no value to this thread. I chose to ride on the flat water side just to feel things out a bit. Although I've talked about a directional for years, this was my first time on a directional - I know right?. I did accomplish one successful gybe, but I chalk that up to the board - certainly not skill. Carving turns in both directions was simple, riding toe side - simple, riding the board backwards - fun.

I'm looking forward to progressing and carving waves soon. All of your insights and reviews have been very helpful for me - so thanks again.

(yes, I changed my avatar - seems to be all the rage :-) )

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rightguard » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:51 am

How do I demo a Duke on Maui?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:34 pm

NHKitesurfer wrote:OR- who do you recommend in the Boston/NH area for a demo?
NHK, you're best to be in touch with Phil from Inland Sea. I believe he's about to receive a demo board with our next delivery of Dukes, expected to arrive here in 1-2 weeks, so with him by early July latest. Please feel free to PM me if you want me to help set this up!
rightguard wrote:How do I demo a Duke on Maui?
Righty, right now we don't have any Demos available on Maui. You could get in touch with Dave at Action Sports Maui who would likely bring one in if you're interested. Again, feel free to PM me directly if you want me to help set this up!

JZ ~ OR

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:53 pm

ORSales wrote:
NHKitesurfer wrote:OR- who do you recommend in the Boston/NH area for a demo?
NHK, you're best to be in touch with Phil from Inland Sea. I believe he's about to receive a demo board with our next delivery of Dukes, expected to arrive here in 1-2 weeks, so with him by early July latest. Please feel free to PM me if you want me to help set this up!
rightguard wrote:How do I demo a Duke on Maui?
Righty, right now we don't have any Demos available on Maui. You could get in touch with Dave at Action Sports Maui who would likely bring one in if you're interested. Again, feel free to PM me directly if you want me to help set this up!

JZ ~ OR
Awesome! I know Phil and will track him down when it arrives.

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .

Postby tommeltot » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 am

I'm writing this as a novice strapless rider who has owned a traditional shaped directional for some time. But because time on the water is restricted 'cos of work etc. I haven't progressed as quick as I may have liked to. So, inaugural outing on my new Mako Duke - strapless.
The Duke’s deep Mako concave makes it a dream to ride in choppy conditions, so smooth under foot and a definite marked improvement to riding a traditional surfboard shape. No nose chatter here!
I'm generally comfortable at staying upwind and Dukes concave really allowed me to rip in that direction.
As for foot work with the increased volume in the nose area compared to a traditional directional board I can see that I'll quickly improve my strapless riding with a Duke.
The board is a joy to ride The stability was instantly noticeable even at slow speeds. Carving a turn in light wind and at slow speed was a piece of cake.
Next time out I'll try moving my feet a bit more - the board has given me the confidence to do so. I might even try riding it backwards - just for a laugh!
If you're reading this you have to try one (or buy one!) All the reviews seem spot on.
I'm so pleased I purchased one.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Gjertson
Rare Poster
Gear: OR

Postby Gjertson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 am

I would like jump on this thread with a broader newb question. What is the weight distribution on the Duke and how does it compare to other kite surf boards? Thanks

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 am

tommeltot wrote:...
Yea...what he said. Riding my Duke has been a blast! I too am very glad I bought one.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 pm

NHKitesurfer wrote:Awesome! I know Phil and will track him down when it arrives.
Dukes are here! We begin shipping this latest batch this week so drop Phil a line, he should have one very soon.

(We also have another delivery of boards arriving end of this month too in case you want to buy one as this delivery is all sold!)
Gjertson wrote:I would like jump on this thread with a broader newb question. What is the weight distribution on the Duke and how does it compare to other kite surf boards? Thanks
Not sure what you mean but perhaps you're asking about the rider's weight distribution? If so, the Duke rides much more off the rail, so more forward foot pressure. Traditional surf boards turn off the fins, which would require more back foot pressure.
randycasburn wrote:
tommeltot wrote:...
Yea...what he said. Riding my Duke has been a blast! I too am very glad I bought one.
Tommelot, thanks for the great review and update that you're now a proud owner of a Duke! We have been amazed at how popular this board has become.

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .

Postby tommeltot » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 pm

After a lull in the wind and other commitments my Mako Duke journey continued this afternoon.
This board is so light and manouvreable under foot I had a breeze progressing strapless and was able to have a great deal of success in changing my stance without falling off all the time - unlike on a traditional directional. This is no doubt due to the extra width in the front end. The Duke tows upwind with pressure on the fins and turns on a dime. It was a great session and the Duke was the key! I look forward to progressing with this board.
Attachments
image.jpg

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Interesting feedback from some of the riders here on the west coast, many are now using Sticky Bumps Punt wax on the EVA foam of the Duke for extra stick when working on strapless airs and freestyle tricks. The wax is soft enough that it essentially soaks into the EVA. Seems to last about 6 or 7 long sessions before needing a refresh.

Latest batch of Dukes shipped out to customers today too so if you're on the wait list, check with your local dealer for tracking info! We are very close to being caught up on back orders of this very in demand board!

Return to “Kitesurfing”