Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

attaching the chicken loop through the hole on spreader bar

Forum for kitesurfers
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: attaching the chicken loop through the hole on spreader

Postby bnthere » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:11 am

based on the shape of most harness hooks and the design of many harness loops, I would also be concerned about the harness loop jamming in the harness hook after releasing.

I would like to know why everyone is so paranoid and uncomfortable about getting unhooked by accident.

you get unhooked by surprise, you let go of the bar, the kite flags out, you reset it and keep going.

what is the big deal?

eventually, you'll realize that you can just grab the harness loop with one hand in order to fly the kite with power control while you hook back in.

if you think flagging out a kite and resetting it to continue riding is a problem, you need to practice it.

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby herbert » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:08 pm

I agree with the comments concerning the safety of attaching the through one of the sides of the hook. I tested it a bunch of times on dry land on three of my bars. While it released every time, sometimes it wasn't a clean release. With hard traction, the loop deforms with nearly a kink in the plastic loop. If it was placed such that the released end hits against the neighboring hook side, the friction along with the kink can inhibit a quick and clean release. While the risk is probably small, it may be highest when you least want it, being dragged face down across the beach toward a rock jetty.

The think the idea of pinching the hook a bit (just a bit) might be safer.

An accidental release is inconvenient. An accidental non-release is very serious. Several unlikely events happening together is how deaths occur.

All that being said...if you don't ride unhooked, as per Taut above, just consider getting the boardriding maui CS bar (and even remove the hook if you wish).

dblass
Rare Poster

Postby dblass » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:35 pm

I would also be concerned about the uneven force aplied to the hook in this configuration increasing the possibility of your hook breaking.

I solved the accidental unhooking by covering the donkey dick with plastic tubing.

Never had a accidental unhook after adding the "condom" to the dick. Safe kiting!

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:02 pm

bnthere wrote:based on the shape of most harness hooks and the design of many harness loops, I would also be concerned about the harness loop jamming in the harness hook after releasing.

I would like to know why everyone is so paranoid and uncomfortable about getting unhooked by accident.

you get unhooked by surprise, you let go of the bar, the kite flags out, you reset it and keep going.

what is the big deal?

eventually, you'll realize that you can just grab the harness loop with one hand in order to fly the kite with power control while you hook back in.

if you think flagging out a kite and resetting it to continue riding is a problem, you need to practice it.
It's one thing to accidentally unhook on the beach when launching, landing or just standing there and all can be frightening. But it's 10x worse when you are jumping and as you rise you accidentally unhook. This happened once and it was a $hit show.

So far problem solved by adding material to donkey dick.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:31 pm

bnthere wrote: I would like to know why everyone is so paranoid and uncomfortable about getting unhooked by accident.

what is the big deal?
I agree unhooking should NOT be a big deal, however I disagree with your approach, just grab the chickenloop and hook it back in.

Not being able to handle your kite unhooked is kinda like not being able to body drag to get your board. Improve your skills. There are cases in the surf where a steel ring on a rope makes a lot of sense but still you should be able to handle it.

I understand that handlepasses aren't everyones cup of tea, but go out and throw some raleys and stop being ignorant on how to handle your kite.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:15 pm

+1 :thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:22 pm

detourpr wrote:Hi Laughinman!

Do you have a picture?

Thanks!
Not exactly but I do have a sliding ring on my spreader bar and I pass my chicken loop through that. Basically the same. Safety wise.
Sure.
Attachments
image.jpg

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:50 am

Yep, unhooking needs to be practiced just like body dragging to retrieve your board- it's definitely gonna happen, so learn not to freak out and get yourself hooked back in. People get freaked out because their instructor probably never taught them what to do.

Without board- Get in some shallow water with nothing else around you. Put your hands in close to the center of the bar and unhook. You'll feel the power of the kite until you simply grab the chicken loop and sheet out. You can usually do this with one hand by having your hands towards the center of the bar and grabbing the loop with 1 hand, and contunue steering with the other.

If you're riding on the board and come unhooked, DON'T FREAK OUT. Let off your edge a bit and go downwind while you thrust your hips forward/ pull bar to your hips to hook in. Practice it a few times per session and you won't be scared if it anymore.

If you're coming unhooked at the end of your jump when you land, you're probably sending the kite too far, swinging to the other side of the power zone, and getting slack in the lines as you plop down like a rock. Work on your jump technique (send the kite less, redirect a little quicker) to maintain line tension.

Happy Kiting,
-KTB

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:15 am

The guy who taught me to kite (a decade or so ago) said that I should always launch unhooked, and if I could not hold the kite's power, then I was on the wrong sized kite, ....and to bring the kite right back into the hands of your helper launcher person.
Those were the days when all inflatable kites were C kites that had very little depower, so we did not ride around super overpowered.
Modern bridled SLE Bows/Deltas etc allow so much depower they tend to promote riding lit as hell and in some cases, more than some can hold when unhooked.
Everyone has gone to a hooked in/depowered launch (it's what is taught now) which can be a problem for those that are unaware of how much power they will be holding at full power.
I had no donkey dick and a loop that did not open for at least the first year I kited (home made bar and line set up), so the chicken loop came off the hook all the time when I did not want it to, but had no release if things went bad.
I had to learn what to do when it slipped off pretty quick....either pull that sucker to the hook or grab the chicken loop with one hand and sheet out with the other, and hook back in.
If you ride with no donkey dick for a month, you will learn to pay attention to your loop.
These days, if you ride hooked all the time, cut the hook off and run a rope strung from left to right on the remaining hook frame base and attach your loop to the rope.
Cuts down on the possibility of your hook contributing to a death loop situation, among several other nice benefits. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”