Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Prodigy vs Artemis!

Forum for kitesurfers
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Prodigy vs Artemis!

Postby ORSales » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:27 pm

We got a laugh out of this on a Friday afternoon... apparently an intrepid soul in the Bay area was able to head Artemis off on a training run. Who says Starboard! anymore anyway?!?

(Jump to 0:56 for the real "action"!)

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Prodigy vs Artemis!

Postby sarc » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:02 pm

Did someone buzz the boat with a kite on purpose? So very uncool, I feel embarrassed as a kiter and I'm half a world away.

Tinkersailor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lurgan beach, Ontario, Canada.
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tinkersailor » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Look at the relative size of the kiteboarder and the Atrtemis crew. The kite was no where near them.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:52 pm

sarc wrote:Did someone buzz the boat with a kite on purpose? So very uncool, I feel embarrassed as a kiter and I'm half a world away.
Half a world a way is right.
The Artimes boat has two protectors safeguarding it.
And all rules of sailing were ineffect.
The kiteboarder was going about 15mph and Artemis 50 mph.
It is almost inpossible to out manuver them, So they know they had better becarefull with there speed runs.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Seems like a collision avoidance maneuver at 1:09, but if I'm wrong so much the better... am I ??

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:07 pm

sarc wrote:Seems like a collision avoidance maneuver at 1:09, but if I'm wrong so much the better... am I ??

Like I said they are so fast, when they come at you from across the bay a mile or more away, you have no idea which way to turn, it is on them to besafe. They should spend more time looking ahead than taking pictures. There are a least a hundred of windsurfers and kiteborders out there with many windsurfers in the water trying to water start that could easily be ran over.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits
Been thanked: 0

Postby EvanOR » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:26 pm

At least the posts have been amended to reflect the correct understanding of the COLREGS (Rule 12). :o

I suppose one could argue that Artermis was not operating at a safe speed, but given that they took deliberate action to avoid a potential collision with ease would make for a tough case. This isn't really a big deal..these boats have been operating in the Bay without incident for a few years now. Let's not forget kiteboarders are now operating at the same speeds in large numbers(foils), not to mention all of the commercial traffic.

You guys (myself included) " trying to waterstart " in commercial lanes are very hard to see and are voluntarily putting yourself at risk in a public arena - don't forget that. :D Fortunately Crissy is west of Alcatraz, so most traffic is running at under 20 knots - unlike the ferries running at almost 40 on the other side.

A quick note - I no longer have any affiliation with OR.

Loscocco
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy, Ocean Beach, Sherman Island, Alameda, 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Mexico, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Vancouver Island Canada, Vietnam, Peru
Style: hard
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Team Rider

Postby Loscocco » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Also perspective of distance can be vastly skewed when looking at something like that.

Here is a photo i took of Damo 2 years ago when Oracle was out in the bay. its really hard to tell but he was a LONG way away from the boat and in no danger at all.

Kiters in both the video above and in this photo were not in danger at all. The AC boats have someone onboard who's job is just to look out and navigate. Also the chase boats are looking out for obstacles. Both kiters also know the bay kiting and sailing VERY well

Loscocco
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy, Ocean Beach, Sherman Island, Alameda, 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Mexico, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Vancouver Island Canada, Vietnam, Peru
Style: hard
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Team Rider

Postby Loscocco » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:29 pm

The navigational bouy in this photo is about 2 miles from building/white sailboat in the background.
first glance at this photo would look like its a narrow channel of water with on a few hundred feet separating boats/kiter/land

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:45 am