Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is a chicken loop really needed?

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Is a chicken loop really needed?

Postby Laughingman » Sun May 17, 2015 4:22 pm

NYKiter wrote:looks like Caution logo.

How do you solo tether launch?
Just hook your teather launch clasp above the release.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Sun May 17, 2015 5:18 pm

I was thinking the same thing about solo tether launch which I do often. Attaching the tether line above chicken loop on main line would work but not allow a quick release if something goes wrong. So I was thinking of adding a quick release to the end of tether line so the kite could be flagged.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun May 17, 2015 6:16 pm

marlboroughman wrote:Cool. What brand is your release?
It's the bar from the old Caution Mayhem. Getting pretty ratty, but I just can't bear to retire it because it's SO good.
NYKiter wrote:looks like Caution logo.
How do you solo tether launch?
Just hook the red loop to whatever. It depowers on both front lines so dog launching is easy. Having said that I almost never do it since regular self launching/landing is so easy.
marlboroughman wrote:He needs another stopper ball. I am trying to devise a stopper ball with a hook for micro loop.
What do you mean by "another stopper ball?" This system works perfectly AFAICT, but I'm always willing to improve it.
matth wrote:So I was thinking of adding a quick release to the end of tether line so the kite could be flagged.
Why bother? Just use your leash to tie off the kite. It already has a QR built in.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun May 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
What do you mean by "another stopper ball?" This system works perfectly AFAICT, but I'm always willing to improve it.
Never mind you got it covered with two line flag. Your set up is the best I've seen so far. :thumb: It's getting harder and harder to find parts both for this and Airstyle Micro Loop. I want to combine both.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sun May 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I need to find a stash of these old bars somewhere to hoard. I bet I could get them cheap, too, since the design is something like 7 years old. :thumb:

This design was initially just to see if I liked a slider setup before dropping $$$ on a Jaybar, but after riding it I think it's actually better for me and the total cost was $20 for the rope and the Antal low friction ring. :cool2:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon May 18, 2015 12:19 am

@bushflyr

If you use leash kite goes bye bye if you need to eject. I want leash attached to myself , and then be able to release kite like a normal flagging procedure. But with tether line attached above Chicken loop hitting QR will not work, so having a QR at tether attachment point would give you the same effect.
When self launching on tether the first thing I do is attach leash to flag line, Then I unhook CL from tether, then attach CL to hook , donkey dick, then I am ready to fly. At any time I can hit QR or let CL go ,and I am flagged, and my kite is not flying away down the beach.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon May 18, 2015 7:19 am

matth wrote:When self launching on tether the first thing I do is attach leash to flag line,

Oh. You're one of "those" people. Never mind then.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:28 pm

This is a way to do it for several bars if you only have two quick releases.

This is similar to the BRM bar in that there is no on-the-fly trimming.

Both rings are 4mm thick. The smaller one will not pass through the bigger one. The smaller ring (connected to the blue line) is the one that travels up the flagging line with the bar, after it is released.

A short leash is larks-headed onto a closeable stainless steel chain link, which is connected to the larger ring on the red flagging line. At the other end of the leash, the Q/R is clipped onto another 4mm thick lockable chain link, (which also prevents the Dynabar clip coming out of the bar).
2rings2links.jpg
Last edited by ronnie on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 am

Bushflyr wrote:
matth wrote:When self launching on tether the first thing I do is attach leash to flag line,

Oh. You're one of "those" people. Never mind then.

I'm one of those people as well.... not sure what the issue is. How do you do it?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:33 am

matth wrote:@bushflyr
When self launching on tether the first thing I do is attach leash to flag line, Then I unhook CL from tether, then attach CL to hook , donkey dick, then I am ready to fly. At any time I can hit QR or let CL go ,and I am flagged, and my kite is not flying away down the beach.
I even have a safety, hooked to the bumper of my car.
The safety cord, is Stronger than the Tether cord ; if
things go South , the tether will break, and the kite will
flag down-wind .

Face-It --- nobody down-wind of you ; asked for the extra
liability of Your kite !!!

Get It ? If not ; then your an Ass !!

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”