dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Re: Just bought my first set up...

Postby dyyylan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Laughingman wrote:
darippah wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:So if I had more experience would this kite still be useful? Or do you guys think it's totally worthless because it will always be a danger for someone my size?
if you live in an area with light wind you will appreciate this kite when you have more experience
I totally disagree, this kite will do nothing for you light wind or not. A kite like this at 140lbs will do nothng but pull you down wind like a train. Even after many years of practice. I've been here, trust what I am telling you. The biggest kite you should need is 12m. Maybe a 13m... But not now, now you need a 9m or a 10m and some instruction.
speak for yourself... I am 145 lbs and was happily riding a friend's 18m a few days ago in about 14 knots. I'm looking at getting my own to fill out an 18/12/9 quiver.

That said, this 16m is going to fly like a bag of bricks in light wind. The new Liquid Force lightwind kites are fantastic but only the ones in the last few years. The old 14 and 16m havocs were made for heavy (like 180 lbs+) guys in moderate winds. They don't fly too well in light wind.

You may still be able to use it, I wouldn't sell it immediately. Once you have some lessons you can try it and see if it works for your conditions. Your instructor will be able to tell you more based on where you're kiting.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:21 pm

dyyylan wrote:
speak for yourself... I am 145 lbs and was happily riding a friend's 18m a few days ago in about 14 knots. I'm looking at getting my own to fill out an 18/12/9 quiver.

That said, this 16m is going to fly like a bag of bricks in light wind. The new Liquid Force lightwind kites are fantastic but only the ones in the last few years. The old 14 and 16m havocs were made for heavy (like 180 lbs+) guys in moderate winds. They don't fly too well in light wind.

You may still be able to use it, I wouldn't sell it immediately. Once you have some lessons you can try it and see if it works for your conditions. Your instructor will be able to tell you more based on where you're kiting.
I was speaking from my own experience, and yes there are a few very new models of large kites that even my wife at 120 lbs is able to fly, this is not the case we are currently debating, so I would say STAY ON TOPIC!
We are not talking about modern light wind kites that sell for 1000s of dollars, we are talking about and older model kite likely pre 2008 and a guy who has no skills (yet) and little money to spend.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:30 am

Hey what do you guys think about a 2014 LIQUID FORCE NRG? My friend has one for sale really cheap, and I'm thinking about buying it.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:48 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Hey what do you guys think about a 2014 LIQUID FORCE NRG? My friend has one for sale really cheap, and I'm thinking about buying it.
They are great kites. You should be looking for a 12m, unless you live in a very windy place.

Tell your friend you'll buy the kite if he gives you lessons with it.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:46 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:44 pm

flyingweasel wrote:Many successful kiters are self taught.

Unsuccessful self taught kiters are probably proportional to ones that took lessons and did not succeed.

Bear in mind who the lessons come from when it's a doped up kid with F all experience but got a badge and certificate in going upwind.

You either will or you won't.

Have a helpful link...its been going for ages

http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/
Whaaaa? You mean I taught you to kiteboard!!?? Sheeeeeeeiit, I don't even remember that!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Fri May 01, 2015 1:00 am

Unsuccessful self taught kiters are probably proportional to ones that took lessons and did not succeed.

Bear in mind who the lessons come from when it's a doped up kid with F all experience but got a badge and certificate in going upwind.

I hate when someone tries to teach themselves on the beach I go to and here is why:

That person will invariably put people around him in danger. I'm not talking about kiters I am talking about other beach users.

That person will also end up in more avoidable trouble than needed, and very often have no idea how to get out of problems, which means more experienced kiters session are fubared because you have to drag people and gear to the beach.

I know there are probably beaches where you can get away from everyone, but where I tend to go it is really crowded and very little space..in addition we are under constant scrutiny from groups that wants to ban kiting all together so when people decide to just learn on their own without listening to advice on getting lessons I think it is disrespectful to the local kiting community.

Over time we all f*** up now and then but as long as it only hurts ourselves I am fine with it.

skullcandy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Powered Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 8m/10m/12m
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150

Postby skullcandy » Fri May 01, 2015 2:08 am

tautologies wrote:

I hate when someone tries to teach themselves on the beach I go to and here is why:

That person will invariably put people around him in danger. I'm not talking about kiters I am talking about other beach users.

That person will also end up in more avoidable trouble than needed, and very often have no idea how to get out of problems, which means more experienced kiters session are fubared because you have to drag people and gear to the beach.

I know there are probably beaches where you can get away from everyone, but where I tend to go it is really crowded and very little space..in addition we are under constant scrutiny from groups that wants to ban kiting all together so when people decide to just learn on their own without listening to advice on getting lessons I think it is disrespectful to the local kiting community.

Over time we all f*** up now and then but as long as it only hurts ourselves I am fine with it.
I think this sums up the point your are trying to make... http://youtu.be/PjcioMm6LD4

I think every kite school should make students watch this

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Fri May 01, 2015 11:20 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Fri May 01, 2015 11:26 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”