Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kailua, HI
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade & Best Profanity board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wakestyle board as a beginner

Postby AntoineDobson » Tue May 19, 2015 3:07 am

Hey guys, I'm new to the sport and have a few questions about my new gear. I'm 2 lessons in and I'm still trying to get my water starts going. I purchased a new 12m switchblade and I got a really good deal on a 2011 best profanity board.

My first question is: was it dumb of me to get a wakestyle board since I'm just learning?

Secondly, if not, will I be able to grow into it?

I'm 155lbs and the board is 138cm

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Wakestyle board as a beginner

Postby edt » Tue May 19, 2015 3:22 am

does suck to constantly be taking your boots on and off again if you are a beginner. oh and the best profanity doesn't go upwind very well. i would probably buy a second board with less rocker on it until you can comfortably go upwind.

AntoineDobson
Rare Poster

Postby AntoineDobson » Tue May 19, 2015 4:13 am

Yeah that's what I've read too. This board has straps. Still get a board with less rocker or is it doable?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 19, 2015 4:18 am

sure you can do it if you like but boards that stiff can be hard on the knees in chop.

AntoineDobson
Rare Poster

Postby AntoineDobson » Tue May 19, 2015 4:41 am

Gotcha. Thanks!

jancpc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Gear: Best TS 2014

Postby jancpc » Tue May 19, 2015 4:12 pm

The profanity is a great board but I think you will suffer a bit going upwind depending on the conditions. I you ride on a 'perfect spot' with steady wind, flat water and no current then don't worry about it but if you are facing challenging conditions I would advise you to get a board with flatter rocker.

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Wed May 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Learning to go upwind in all conditions (chop, underpowered, overpowered, waves) is most hard part of kiteboarding education. Board with flat rocker will give you much faster progress = more stoke to keep going.

A wakestyle board starts to make sense, when you jump a lot and start to feel limited about your board performance in terms of launching big and landing softly from height. If ever, you will get these problems after few years of active riding. Before that moment wakestyle board is not the best choice for you.

Looking for a good deal? Take one of all-round used boards like North Jaime or any other good brand. They seem almost invincible, when used by "normal" rider (not a kiteloop or handlepass hardcore lover). You can always sell it later with some discount and go for wakestyle.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed May 20, 2015 2:41 pm

the profanity is probably one of the worst kiteboards on the market for going upwind, you need to be pretty powered and have good technique or you will just drag ass through the water

this especially sucks as a beginner when you're trying to go upwind. even on a flat board, you'll feel like you're doing it right but still going downwind

i'd suggest buying a "normal" freeride kiteboard with straps on it (that is properly sized for you, don't get a big lightwind one) and just learning with that. eventually you can get another board with wake rocker and boots if that's what you want to do. you'll most likely want to learn your first couple of tricks with straps anyway, until you start getting really comfortable riding and being in the water with a board on your feet

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed May 20, 2015 4:03 pm

I don;t think boots are good for a beginner. As you get in trouble you want to be able to kick off the board in a microsecond. Especially if you need to swim if you crash the kite in waves, get a bit of a tangle etc. I'd recommend straps for the first few years. It's not like you need them to do handle passes now.

AntoineDobson
Rare Poster

Postby AntoineDobson » Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks so much for the advice guys, just what I needed to hear! Much appreciated!! Time to unload this board now ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”