Style: directional
Gear: Airush wave 12 , 9 , 7
shinn shinnster , surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

strapped directional board?

Postby nimo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:57 pm

I enjoy riding a strapless surfboard in small waves, with no chop and not too much kite power. Unfortunately these conditions are few and far between where I live. I have a Shinnster for underpowered days and love it, a mitu strapless 5'8" for waves and a twin tip for everything else. The board I dont have is a directional, low volume board for using fully powered in choppy conditions, Razzing around, carving turns and popping jumps off everything in sight. The reason I dont have this board is because it doesn't exist, no-one makes it.........
have I missed it or does it really not exist?
The worst bit about it is that this would be my goto board for 80% or my kiting.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Re: strapped directional board?

Postby randycasburn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:21 pm

nimo wrote:The board I dont have is a directional, low volume board
Ocean Rodeo Mako King or Mako 150. Both boards are convertible between twin-tip mode and "mutant" or directional mode. So they can be configured as directionals, they are low volume and they eat chop alive.

Disclaimer: I don't sell or make money from anything kite related - I just love my Mako! :D

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Sounds like the board I'm looking for as well :thumb: I would also add, it needs to have a 3 strap setup.

I am a big Mako fan. Currently riding the 130 as my only twin tip. I used to have a king, but I didn't like it as a mutant.

Maybe I've just never ridden a good mutant, but mutant seems like a compromise. I really enjoy tacking and jibing a directional, so I have no need to ride backwards.

The closest thing I've seen to this board I'm imagining is the Sector 54. I didn't like it in 3 fin setup, nose was too bouncy. Tried briefly in 4 fin setup. I liked it in 4-fin much better, but I was way overpowered and didn't get much time on it. Maybe need to try it again.

I could have sworn I had this conversation before so checked the search and saw you had made that post also :lol: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2387226&start=50

Flyboy's custom from rogue wave looks great, but I'm definitely reluctant to order a custom board with no way to try it. Now I'm on a hydrofoil, so that covers blasting around at high speed even in moderate chop, but I'm afraid to jump with it (too much money to risk). Maybe I need to try out that Sector 54 again...)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:11 pm

nimo wrote:The board I dont have is a directional, low volume board for using fully powered in choppy conditions, Razzing around, carving turns and popping jumps off everything in sight.
I still ride the smaller size Kontact ( the 2010 model) for the conditions you describe...i am 73kg
Here is the North webpage for 2015 model...read the review from a user
https://www.northkiteboarding.com/produ ... f/kontact/

Good luck
Have fun
EZ

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:38 pm

nimo wrote:The board I dont have is a directional, low volume board for using fully powered in choppy conditions, Razzing around, carving turns and popping jumps off everything in sight. The reason I dont have this board is because it doesn't exist, no-one makes it.........
You've missed it! Amundson makes the exact board you're looking for. It's called the Freestyle Wave. It was a concept board that was eventually brought into production.

The details...
"The Freestyle Wave has been an underground legend that is now being released as one of my main models. The Freestyle Wave is the link between surf and air, it has had great feedback from those who want to ride waves but also have the ability to huck huge jumps. Given its compact size and low volume, the Freestyle Wave also works well in river swell and choppy surface conditions. It has a smooth yet tight turning radius which allows for radical small wave slashing. I have prototyped different kiteboard constructions for over 13 years (surfboards over 25 years), testing hundreds of composite combinations to finally arrive with a superior flex pattern that is built into the Freestyle Wave. This design is built in the same thin and light weight custom epoxy construction as my twin tips and M-Series boards. My custom epoxy construction is a blend of the most advanced composites vacuum bagged to the highest quality PVC foam cores. This design is most popular in the 4’7” to 5’0” size range."

http://www.amundsoncustoms.com/kite-surfboards/ (scroll down to find it)
Last edited by Da Yoda on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:40 pm

nimo wrote:I enjoy riding a strapless surfboard in small waves, with no chop and not too much kite power. Unfortunately these conditions are few and far between where I live. I have a Shinnster for underpowered days and love it, a mitu strapless 5'8" for waves and a twin tip for everything else. The board I dont have is a directional, low volume board for using fully powered in choppy conditions, Razzing around, carving turns and popping jumps off everything in sight. The reason I dont have this board is because it doesn't exist, no-one makes it.........
The worst bit about it is that this would be my goto board for 80% or my kiting.
Yes, they exist.
Here are two.
Axis New Wave.
Spleene Zone 5.3
Last edited by L0KI on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:45 pm

nimo wrote: I dont have is a directional, low volume board for using fully powered in choppy conditions, Razzing around, carving turns and popping jumps off everything in sight. The reason I dont have this board is because it doesn't exist, no-one makes it.........
The worst bit about it is that this would be my go to board for 80% or my kiting.
I'm a surfer (164 lbs) that also kites and what you say about no ones (kite companies) makes a low volume strapped board I would say it's 90% true....................kite companies directional boards are on the 24L or more and in conditions fully powered or waves with enough juice those board would feel that floats to much, have to much width on the nose and/or tail and the back foot inserts are not close enough to the tail and at the end you can't make fast turns like with a surfboard................you need to go with a directional board very similar to a high performance surfboard, with small tail and narrow nose (around 12" or less). I recommend to buy a used high performance surfboard on the 22 L or less and bring it to your local shaper to install inserts for the straps they make that work for $60 aprox. Them if you liked it and ones more durability you can ask a surfboard shaper to make a board with straps insert and some reinforcement on the deck.

If you prefer to go with normal kiteboard directional there is two boards that I can recommend:
The crazyfly ATV on 5'10" but just 22.5L, that board is really good and you ca use it thruster or quad.
http://www.crazyflykites.com/cf2015/board.php?id=atv
The second option is not more in production is the slingshot Tyrant 5'8 2014 it's 22L and the shape is very similar to a high performance surfboard. 5'8” x 18 5/16” x 2 1/8”, 22L.

:thumb:
Last edited by Manuel V on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:50 pm

also check out John Doyle's board line, worked with Slingshot for a while but has been making his own designs for many years and are crazy strong for riding like a hooligan strapped and have a really nice feel as well.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:13 pm

Naish makes the Global in 5.2 and 17" wide. That probably would fit your briefing.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:55 pm

nimo wrote:I enjoy riding a strapless surfboard in small waves, with no chop and not too much kite power. Unfortunately these conditions are few and far between where I live. I have a Shinnster for underpowered days and love it, a mitu strapless 5'8" for waves and a twin tip for everything else. The board I dont have is a directional, low volume board for using fully powered in choppy conditions, Razzing around, carving turns and popping jumps off everything in sight. The reason I dont have this board is because it doesn't exist, no-one makes it.........
Naish global. No doubt.

Look to me bump and jump boards needs nice and skinny outline, and a long rail, and skinny tail (without being too gunny). If you pick the smaller version for smaller waves. I have the 6'0'' and its fantastic, but for more jumping I'd go for a smaller version.

Return to “Kitesurfing”