Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North WAM 2010 vs WAM 2015 vs what else for a wave newb???

forum for kitesurfers

przemj
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

North WAM 2010 vs WAM 2015 vs what else for a wave newb???

Postby przemj » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Hello.

I'm a wave newb (although ambitious, 4 years in KS in total, mostly FS in boots now :)). 176 cm, 79 kgs. I tried some strapless riding and jibes and I like it very much :)

I have a possibility to buy a beaten 5'8" 2010 WAM much cheaper than a new 2015'. Is 2015' significantly better than 2010 so it's worth to pay extra for 2015'?

Or maybe WAM is not so good in general for me and there are better options for me?

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for NKB/Ion in North America

Re: North WAM 2010 vs WAM 2015 vs what else for a wave newb?

Postby Dan-at-North » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:11 pm

In my opinion, if the 2010 board is in good condition (no dings/cracks/signs of water intrusion) then, especially for a beginner, there's no reason to go for the newer version.

As far as beginner friendly, the older WAM will probably be a bit easier to learn on, though neither board will be as beginner friendly as the newer Whip or Nugget. As you advance a beginner board continues to be really fun in smaller waves and/or light wind, but they have their limits as the waves get bigger, whereas the newer WAM could easily handle large, steep waves. Along the scale from Nugget to Whip to 2015 WAM, the 2010 WAM sits between the Whip and 2015 WAM, probably closer to the 2015 WAM. It's should be slightly easier to learn on than the 2015 WAM, and it will work well down the road in small to medium waves, and could probably handle larger waves (head and bigger) but will start to get squirrely in larger waves compared to the new WAM. At the same time it won't have the light-wind abilities of the Whip or Nugget, nor will it pick up tiny swell as well as those boards. But it will definitely be way better for light wind than your boots board.

Also pushing for the older board is the fact that you don't know what kind of board you're going to like... Some people like really loose boards, others like lots of drive. Same thing for whippy vs drawn out etc. Once you get going on this board if you find that you'd prefer something one way or the other for your style of riding you may want to sell the board to try something else so it might make more sense to get the cheaper board now and then consider springing for something more expensive when you are more certain of your tastes/abilities.

On top of that, 2010 was a particularly good year for durability, so as long as it was cared for well and has no damage at this point it should still last you a long time.

One caveat... I have not ridden the 2010 WAM in 4-5 years and lots has changed since then, including my skill and riding style, so I'm going by vague recollections and marketing info from 2010.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to hit me up.

-Dan

Strekke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10m, 2017 Naish Dash 8m, 2015 North Dice 7m, Firewire Vanguard 5'1, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil

Postby Strekke » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:53 pm

I also bought a North WAM 2010 for real cheap 2 seasons ago as my first wave board. Learned strapless on it just fine and still enjoying it today. Tried a 2014 F-One Mitu the other day, which was a very different feel, you could ride it more on the edge I found, which was better for chop and less bouncy, and a little bit more stable/easier to switch feet on. So as stated above, once you learn the basics you can try out different and newer boards to see what you like and then invest with in newer model. However, there are easier boards to learn on.

So in my opinion you have 2 options:

- keep it cheap for now and learn on the WAM 2010, then once you got the basics down, see if you like its style and compare it to different boards, and decide if you want something new. Resell the 2010 WAM again for cheap for the next beginner and make almost no loss.

- want a quicker learning curve and have money to spend? get something more beginner-oriented that is easier to switch your feet around on (e.g. nugget) - afterwards you can keep it as a light wind board and wave board, or buy an extra waveboard for bigger swell and keep the nugget as a lightwind board/small wave board, or sell the nugget and buy a more advanced wave board. That being said I learned just fine on the 2010 WAM so it's not like you're going to be struggling hard, just know there are easier boards to learn on out there. In any case I don't regret buying my 2010 WAM as a first waveboard.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:15 pm

I think for your weight and strapless a 5'8" is going to be just a touch small. I've not ridden the WAM, but in general surf shapes you'd be better off on a 5'10" or 6'0".

In the "other" category check out a 5'4" Vanguard or 5'3" Vader. I've ridden a ton of different surf shapes and by far the 5'4" VG is the best strapless board I've ever ridden. Early reports, however, have the Vader edging it out on fun factor.

If the WAM is stupid cheap, buy it. You can always use it strapped later if it proves to be too small for strapless. But DEFINITELY jump on a VG or VD for a sesh if you possibly can. Most of the people I let try mine out wind up buying one, it really is that good.

romkite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane

Postby romkite » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:33 am

Bushflyr wrote:I think for your weight and strapless a 5'8" is going to be just a touch small. I've not ridden the WAM, but in general surf shapes you'd be better off on a 5'10" or 6'0".
My opinion too. I am 183 cm for 76 kg, riding strapless, jumps and small waves, choppy conditions most of the time, and I am very happy with my kontact 6.1... Such a nice carving machine ! I am always disappointed in other boards I try. I would personally avoid short & wide boards like the whip, not even talking nuggets, total waste of money to me. Beware it takes time to get used to a board so you'd probably be better off with the right type of board from the start.

You were talking about a WH magnum, I never tried it but its shape certainly fits my representation of a good surfkite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:10 am

Yes, the 2010 5'8 Wam is awesome for your weight as a strapped waveboard IMO too, as it is quite wide and voluminous to compensate for tailkick and still ok fast (not like the Kontact though), so it sits sweeeet in the curl :thumb:

But as you write you want to go strapless, most will use bigger/slower boards :wink:

8) PF

piccio
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: neo 4 5 religion 9 religion 6
north proseries 2014 5.8 5.11

Postby piccio » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:49 am

no more than 150 euro ,it is old ,one kilo heavier than newer 2012 2013.
no more than 5.8 ,they had large tail.

Return to “Kitesurfing”