Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: kiteboard size

Postby plummet » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:14 am

Width is more important than length.

When talking about upwind performance one of the key factors is surface area.

doing some basic maths on a rectangle

142 x 40.5 = 5751
135 x 44 = 5940

So.... older boards are longer and thinner. They are less efficient for their length
Newer designed boards are shorter and wider. More efficient.

Look at the width when purchasing. Most modern all around boards are around 43cm mark.

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:53 pm

I found a good deal on a best procreator 2014 139x41.5cm

The only thing that concealer me that it is freestyle/wakestyle oriented.

Would it make any difference to me?

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm

nafets wrote:I found a good deal on a best procreator 2014 139x41.5cm

I'd say you want somewhere around 142x42 and fairly flat. The large rocker on the wakestyle boards make them rather power hungry and will make planeing/upwind more difficult.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:33 pm

That board is best's freestyle board, rocker will be moderate. Enough to go smooth through the chop but not to much so that it's hard to get it going. It's also a great board to progress on so I would go for it. Beginner boards are usually just super flexy boards which you'll grow out of after a few months. Don't go over 140cm unless you live in a spot with many low wind days. 139x41.5 is perfect for your weight.

h11t0n
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Coast Park, Singapore; Trikora Beach + Agro Beach, Bintan;
Favorite Beaches: Adam's Bridge, Mannar, Sri Lanka; Kalipitiya, Sri Lanka;
Style: Freeride
Gear: Stats
=====
Heavy weight 90kg 180cms

Kites
====
F-One Bandit 6 (8m,11m,14m)
Ozone Zephyr 2014 17m

Boards
======
Shinn Monk Midnight Lover (135 × 42)
Shinn Shinnster
Shinn Speedball W18 Gen 1
Nobile Flying Carpet (160 × 46)

Harness
=======
Mystic Code 01
Brand Affiliation: None but willing to sell out to the first person who puts enough money in my hand.......;).
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby h11t0n » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:32 am

slim_charles wrote:

I'd say you want somewhere around 142x42 and fairly flat. The large rocker on the wakestyle boards make them rather power hungry and will make planeing/upwind more difficult.
I agree with Slim Charles. You have the board skills I am sure but thats not even half of it. What you need at the start is something that goes upwind really, really well and is brainless to ride. Unless you are an absolute god with the kite from day zero if you buy something thats not what you need you will spend all your time walking backwards up the beach than you will riding. That does you know favours at all trust me. It just massively slows the process.

What you have to realise is that unlike surfing, snowboarding, skating, wakeboarding etc when you screw up it can take a lot of time to reset your gear and get back to where where you started.

When you start kiteboarding is different (depending on the site and wind conditions) a two minute ride with a couple of transitions can take you 20 minutes plus to get back upwind a decent distance again to start once more. It saps your energy, its frustrating and no matter what anyone tells you it does precisely sod all for your progression. You want to minimise this phase as much as you possibly can.

I really struggled with my first board. It was too small and didn't go upwind well. It was just the wrong board for my level at that time. The edge you need from your board when you start is upwind ability and a forgiving easy nature. Boards either have these two characteristics or they don't. Trust me even if you have windsurfed or sailed before the kite is going to give you enough trouble when you start. Do yourself a favour learn from my mistakes and minimise the difficulty where you can at the at the start that way you will maximise you time on the board and advance faster.

Good luck.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:38 am

h11t0n wrote:
slim_charles wrote:

I agree with Slim Charles. You have the board skills I am sure but thats not even half of it. What you need at the start is something that goes upwind really, really well and is brainless to ride. Unless you are an absolute god with the kite from day zero if you buy something thats not what you need you will spend all your time walking backwards up the beach than you will riding. That does you know favours at all trust me. It just massively slows the process.

What you have to realise is that unlike surfing, snowboarding, skating, wakeboarding etc when you screw up it can take a lot of time to reset your gear and get back to where where you started.

When you start kiteboarding is different (depending on the site and wind conditions) a two minute ride with a couple of transitions can take you 20 minutes plus to get back upwind a decent distance again to start once more. It saps your energy, its frustrating and no matter what anyone tells you it does precisely sod all for your progression. You want to minimise this phase as much as you possibly can.

I really struggled with my first board. It was too small and didn't go upwind well. It was just the wrong board for my level at that time. The edge you need from your board when you start is upwind ability and a forgiving easy nature. Boards either have these two characteristics or they don't. Trust me even if you have windsurfed or sailed before the kite is going to give you enough trouble when you start. Do yourself a favour learn from my mistakes and minimise the difficulty where you can at the at the start that way you will maximise you time on the board and advance faster.

Good luck.
Yeah I said that thinking the procreator was their wakestyle board and forgetting the lad said he was a semi pro wakeboarder at 19. Considring that i would tend to agree with what Frank82 said above, he'll probably be throwing mobes within an hour.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:13 pm

nafets wrote:Anyone? Any thoughts?
Hi, If you came into our shop looking for a board it would it start with me asking you your weight and ability level. Next I would ask you what you want to do, free ride,freestyle wake style or any combo. Based on that I would show and explain to you the difference in several models and styles of boards.
Typically,the width is the first consideration .A 42cm wide board would be a very good fit. The length of the board is a secondary decision. A longer board will benefit you in lighter wind conditions. More rail in the water,usually better upwind performance. As side from width, the second most important factor is Rocker and the outline of the board. A board generally with a lot of rocker will not be as performance orientated in lighter wind. The outline is basically 2 types, square tip or tucked at the tips. You'll notice most light wind style boards are very square in outline witch maximizes the planning surface and they have a flat rocker. While I'm talking about LW Boards, 46cm in width(and up) is where I consider a board to be for LW. Last , the flex of the board. Boards have become much more flexible in the last say 5 or so years. Older board were very stiff. Most new snowboard style construction boards are softer which translates to a smoother ride and better range.
The hardware constantly evolves. Straps and Pads are getting more adjustability and comfort. Fins have quick connect systems etc.
Keep in mind, If you going to buy used(or new) its better to get a little larger(width wise) board. With the control and depower ability of the modern bridled kite,board edging to control the kite is not as crucial as it was requiring a smaller board. A board like a Shinn Monk or NHP 42cm for example would have a wind range of 12-30 knots. Obviously,there would be better choices at each end of the spectrum but the modern boards have a very good range.
Get something within your budget thats 42 or 43cm wide and make sure the foot straps will fit. Nobile,Shinn,Slingshot etc straps should all work for your sized foot.

:thumb:

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Guys thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions and even explain a lot of things.

The best is sold, however there is a North Gonzalez 2011 143 -40.5 cm.

As for some of the questions out there, I am mostly looking for an all around/free ride board.

Given the lack of board choice, I am even considering building my own board. I do have the experience and the tools needed, so I will not be much of a problem.

Let me know what you think of the North gonzalez size, and that would probably be my final choice :) Either this one, or a couple of handbuit ones.

Edit: Or maybe the Cabrinha chopstick 2012 139 cm x 42 cm. But I think this one is a little bit too small

Return to “Kitesurfing”