Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rescuing boards for other kiters-tips?

Forum for kitesurfers
tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rescuing boards for other kiters-tips?

Postby tomatkins » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Interesting subject...especially the “no good deed goes unpunished” aspect of it.

1. You foul up your own gear while trying to be helpful.
2. You tangle your kite with the victims while returning the board.
3. Kite instructor tells you “don’t screw around with my student, while he’s practicing”.
4. “quit trying to steal my board”
5. "What are you doing with my board, I was almost there, keep your kite away from me”

I once followed my normal routine of watching the newbee back and forth and getting further and further from the board each time, until I figured he was too tired to continue... and then I picked up his board and put it on top of my power line... where the board jiggled around and hit my release and my kite got completely loose... and as I watched it fly away, and realized I was swimming and holding onto 2 boards, with no kite... a guy kites up to me and balls me out for messing with his buddy’s board, saying his buddy was OK and could have got it himself. This kiter then refuses to drag me to my kite, and just takes the board to his buddy. About 3 hours later I got reunited with my kite. Ha, ha... that’s just part of trying to be a good Samaritan... don’t let it get you down when something like this happens... we’re all just human!

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Oh yeah, and don't take the board TO the other kiter. You dump it 50m down wind of them. If they aren't competent enough to body drag back to their board they aren't competent enough to trust not to tangle your kite up.

If they can't relaunch for whatever reason take it in and dump it on the beach. They already have their hands full and don't need to be trying to deal with a board too.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:10 am

johnm wrote:vimeo video...
Nice video, johnm!

Most of the tips have already been said. Usually you know the kiter and have already asked or determined they need help. And yeah, everyone needs a board rescue once in a while. Sometimes the board is out of sight, going further away or you just plain need the favor.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:57 am

You don't have to drop the board downwind, dropping it 50m to the side is fine. The other person can body drag across to it. Less likely to get tangled with their kite that way. And yes, I think it is good karma, and we've surely all had someone do it for us. I know I have.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:14 am

randycasburn wrote:1. Stop, sink, grab the other board.
2. Bend knees as if ready to get up
3. Lay board in lap (cradle style) handle up
4. Start normally but stay in crouch position to support board
5. Immediately ride one-handed
6. Grab board handle with other hand and stand erect, ride normally
7. Drop board downwind of rider

Did this yesterday...its nice to help the newbs :-)

You'll probably run into riding too far or needing to turn around:

1. Crouch down and lay board back into lap
2. Stop and sink (slowly)
3. Repeat in other direction
Perfect explanation bro !

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:32 am

slim_charles wrote:I find it best too make sure you're laughing loud enough that they hear you when you ride past and then just make the most of the extra space while they piss around for half hour.
edt wrote:you can grab the entire board and put it on top of all your lines at least until you build up some speed then you can take it off your lines and hold it with one hand
tautologies wrote:Well you can always loop the kite to get going. If you have a stopper that might help to get going one handed.
Excellent suggestions.... looking forward to the barrage of 'Newbie board rescue accident' posts in the coming weeks :lol:
Laughing at this only because I nearly came a cropper. Look out for board leashes before picking up a board!

I picked this chaps board up from my left side. Kited down to him. Pulled it across to my right side and slid it through the water towards him......only for the reel leash to catch on the bottom of my lines. Queue obligatory body drag downwind. Doh!

Hopefully he binned that leash as soon as he got home.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:08 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:[quote="slim_charles”]

...Look out for board leashes before picking up a board!

.....only for the reel leash to catch on the bottom of my lines.

[/quote]

Was it a piece of the webbing from a snapped reel leash webbing? Or was he not using the reel leash at the time... and the piece of reel leash that somehow caught on your lines was a short extra piece of rope that the guy leaves on his board to hook up the reel leash to when he needs the leash?

Return to “Kitesurfing”