Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

self rescue which is the standard way to do it?

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

self rescue which is the standard way to do it?

Postby edt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Just curious what is the standard way to self rescue what is being taught now in schools?

1) flag the kite and wrap the lines up, after you have the bar wrapped climb aboard the kite and sail home

2) flag the kite and swim towards the kite, climb on top, and then wrap the bar, then sail home.

I heard that 2) is more popular now while 1) is what used to be taught, is that true?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: self rescue which is the standard way to do it?

Postby NYKiter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:24 pm

IKO = 1)

johnm
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby johnm » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:30 pm

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:34 pm

never heard of anyone recommending swimming straight to the kite - pretty high likelihood of getting tangled in all those loose lines floating about...

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 pm

there's some local instructors here who teach it that way, just trying to figure out where it's coming from

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby darippah » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:52 pm

For #2 how would you get to the kite without wrapping lines unless theres 0 wind

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm

So for #2, you hit the quick release, the kite flags out on one line and you start swimming towards the kite... What happens next? Seems to me the kite would blow away from you as you are trying to swim towards it. I just can't think of any way that makes sense unless as darripah said, there's no wind. And even if you can swim faster, you are swimming through lines that could get tangled around your body causing a very dangerous situation.

In my opinion, if there are kite instructors teaching that method, then everyone should be warned against taking lessons from those guys since they don't understand basic safety.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:13 pm

i dont think you literally swim u just pull the line until you reach the kite

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm

Nice topic - seems like everybody has a few self rescue experiences but I haven't ever talked to anyone who has done it dozens of times in different conditions with different reasons who could say one is better or one is worse.

I teach, as I was taught in my PASA instructors course, that both ways are acceptable. I just can't come up with a decision matrix based on broad experience and I presume my students are going to have to just choose one when the shit hits the fan.

There are some variables that might make me lean one way or another. I hope you can add on from your own experience.

Self rescue due to wind death? A buddy was using method A when the wind came slamming back, loose lines slipped behind horns locking fingers to center of bar, kite looping, no good. B would have been better in this case, but A is fine if there is no pull.

In the waves? Little or big? Sure you want to mess with SR or just swim in? Are they going to make it hard to wind lines on the the bar correctly? Alternately, are bigger waves going to wash you into the lines when using method B?

SR due to broken center line assembly or single broken line? Kite will act different if isolated to one outside vs. one inside vs. both inside.

What's your physical/ mental state? A little panicky? Are you losing body heat quickly? Method B is going to put you at your flotation/ rest aid quicker.

Are you in water with lots of kelp, maybe keeping your kite from relaunching? It's going to get wound in with your lines and be on your hands if using method A. Could get slick.

Still got your board? If so, you can anchor the bar in a strap when using B and reduce risk of entanglement.

Are you in salt water with a flotation device and a waist harness or in fresh water with no flotation and a seat harness? Low buoyancy means that you are essentially winding the lines underwater, no visibility. High buoyancy means makes method A much easier.

Also, haven't heard of just swimming toward the kite. Was taught to use fingertips, go hand over hand up upwind line to get to the kite. I've noticed that a breast stroke circular kick is perfect for winding lines around a leg while doggy paddle vertical kick doesn't.

However, if you are already laying on your kite having lines wrapped around your leg is less dire than if you are using method A and get some slack around a leg or your hook. The line on your legs is going to be on the non pulling side of the gear. Using method A creates a possibility of getting lines wrapped around your foot which are tight to the kite.

Just food for thought, hope we can keep it constructive.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:55 pm

I just think one way should be better. as for waves you have to release the kite entirely and swim unless you want to wreck your kite. I guess pasa is the only organization that preaches swim (I mean pull in the kite) first then wrap.

Return to “Kitesurfing”