Forum for kitesurfers
igoryak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Core - I'm giving it to you straight

Postby igoryak » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:56 am

OnB wrote: And the twist system is not going to work well for any kiter who uses non rigid hook type spreader bar, and there will be more and more of those for directional riders as we move forward.
That is one very important issue you pointed.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:01 am

Cost. Just got my new 12m xr4 .... (so of course the meteo predicts no wind for the weekend) It was close to 15% less than a 2015 North Rebel..likely my 1st choice . C$ is way more stable against the Euro than Us$ in the last few years. Still not cheap though.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:51 pm

I have read an interview with Core designers and their main points are that there would be no inadvertent releasing due to a hand bumping it, also turning is intuitive and pushing away would be hard when water is rushing at the release in a drag situation.

I could argue that pushing away has become more intuitive because it's the industry standard and has been for awhile. I would wonder if anybody at Core has tested the QR under a violent drag situation to actually see if rushing water makes a push away "harder to push". Or was it just "theorized"?

I have inadvertently hit my release on an old Slingshot bar (pull) and on a North bar (push) one time each over 8 seasons of kiting. It was a hassle but I just reconnected and continued kiting. Yes in deep water it might have resulted in a self rescue but I don't think death would result.

For me the main point about the QR is that it is controversial. So many times I've heard these debates. Why would any kite company want a controversial piece of gear? Especially when it comes to safety.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Maybe they do it on purpose Mark so people like me and you keep talking about them and they get more visibility and airtime, I am out hehe!

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:01 pm

igoryak wrote:
OnB wrote: And the twist system is not going to work well for any kiter who uses non rigid hook type spreader bar, and there will be more and more of those for directional riders as we move forward.
That is one very important issue you pointed.
I totally disagree. I use a slider and the QR works just fine.

OffshoreApparel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarpon Springs
Gear: N/A

Postby OffshoreApparel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Personally, I could care less about the marketing jargon, bottom line for me is quality in materials and construction and a great flying kite which is where Core shines. The twist QR isn't a big deal, I actually like it better since my 1st setup, brand new bar with push away....released on its own several times in a relatively short period of time. The pro bar, although pricey sure is slick! Love the Fusion LW board too.

I'm new to the sport but one thing I've found is brand choice is fiercely contested in this sport, lots of sides taken with the kite you fly. I'm unsure of the history but what I gather is that it's a threat to the top selling brand so we get lots of bashing? We took a trip to the keys a couple was ago and in the SUV was a representation from Core, Cabrinha, LF, and North. Each and every kite out there has a thing or two which can be improved on and none are perfect. Competition is good, it's keeps everyone on their toes.
Attachments
image.jpg

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Yeh Offshore but the safety release is not one of those "things that can use some improvement". Core has pretty much perfected it. It's whether you believe in it. Clearly the camp is divided.

I thought the kite was so high end but the bar simply wasn't. The bar ends are hard and pointy, the dye leaks out of the foam, the Plus 2 bar has essentially useless extensions because you can't get them off without spending 15 minutes with a pointy tool, and it simply isn't as smooth as others at sheeting out (especially when you are in a turn and are trying to sheet out with the bar being torqued)...

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:10 pm

markchatwin wrote: the dye leaks out of the foam,
I got Core kites since 3 generations and I never had the Dye problem you are describing, maybe there was a bad batch of foam... you are the only one I know who complained about this and I know a shed load who ride them.

anyway, I don't care much the marketing BS either, It just make me smile everytime I see it, I Just really like the products.

And TBH I love that bar more than any one one the market.

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:23 pm

You don't use the bar bag that comes with the Sensor bar? :-)

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Kirok wrote:You don't use the bar bag that comes with the Sensor bar? :-)
Of course I do, It's such a "High performance" bag, :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”