Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Suggestions for really light LW strapless board?

forum for kitesurfers

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Suggestions for really light LW strapless board?

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:09 pm

@ toe side

Why in hell would you post the exact same shot twice in a row in the same post? Rather than a full row of the same emoticon in reply, try, just try to find a logical rationale.

@ everyone else suggesting boards so far except maybe Pete (who knows the guy isn't looking for foils)

All those mentioned are easily as heavy as the board he just ditched for weight reasons! SS hasn't made a light weight board.... like, ever!

The suggestion of skims and alaya is not a bad one.

Try looking into firewire FST or any of the hydroflex construction boards. If you want to shed weight, the Hydroflex even in their heaviest glass job are featherlight. like, game changing light. Typically at least two pounds lighter for a 28L board compared to a similar shape from a kite company.

rretzlaff
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Caution

Postby rretzlaff » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Try and find a used Aviso Carbon board. They are light tough and great to ride in LW. I have a DVS 5'10" retro fish that is great in light wind and jumps well with the wide tail. There are other models that would work well in light wind (low rocker-wide tail) from Aviso you just have to be patient and hunt around on the internet for one.

cheers,

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:55 pm

There is a beauty shape offered in aviso for cheap in this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=2389532&p=895309

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Well, for the record, I was very serious in my advice about a hydrofoil instead of a really LW surfboard :thumb:

As he did not say explicitly that he did not want a hydrofoil, I would honestly advice to think getting a hydrofoil instead :D

I assume he has a normal surfboard also, like most of us, for good conditions.

And the fact is, that after having learned to hydrofoil, a new world has opened, where you DON'T seek these days in waves with ridiculous kite sizes like 12m2 or more, which does not make sense at all, unless you don't have better things to do...

Those days are over, because when hydrofoil'ing, now you can do EVERYTHING in light wind - riding waves, doing freestyle, and everything fully powered.

And your days on surfboards just keep getting better now, as you drop those "on the limit" sometimes waste of time sessions, and only go for the good conditions now :rollgrin:

A true win-win situation :naughty:

If you get a strapless Horue or Takoon hydrofoil, you can have it all !!!

If not interested or possible, so be it, but please think about it before ditching the idea.

8) Peter

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Well, for the record, I was very serious in my advice about a hydrofoil instead of a really LW surfboard :thumb:

As he did not say explicitly that he did not want a hydrofoil, I would honestly advice to think getting a hydrofoil instead :D

And the fact is, that after having learned to hydrofoil, a new world has opened, where you DON'T seek these days in waves with ridiculous kite sizes like 12m2 or more, which does not make sense at all, unless you don't have better things to do...

Those days are over, because when hydrofoil'ing, now you can do EVERYTHING in light wind - riding waves, doing freestyle, and everything fully powered.

And your days on surfboards just keep getting better now, as you drop those "on the limit" sometimes waste of time sessions, and only go for the good conditions now :rollgrin:

If not interested or possible, so be it, but please think about it before ditching the idea.

8) Peter
amen

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Im using a Firewire Potatonator in fst construction. Its a 5'10 and running it as a quad. I am 200 pounds and with the proper fins, seaworthies(shout out to clint2070 for the tip off on those) I have found what i need after trying no less than 10 boards. The board is light, goes upwind great and best of all is a gas to ride, what a feeling on the waves. Stay away from the Rapidfire if your going to go Firewire, garbage construction, rice paper glass jobs.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Well, for the record, I was very serious in my advice about a hydrofoil instead of a really LW surfboard :thumb:

8) Peter
Stop it,

You had me at " for the record "

But seriously... for the record, it makes sense. Surfboards saved my TT. I enjoy it so much more now that I don't waste time on it.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:15 am

The Anklebiter FX is definitely too heavy for strapless airs in light wind you can get the wakesurf version and it's much better but at the same time wont stand up to too much abuse if you land heavy.

I have a wake construction SP and a Shinnster and the wake SP flies better in light wind and even though it's not kite construction has stood up pretty well.

The OP is coming from a Nugget so he's willing to pay North prices. In that case there is a clear winner for what board he should be getting:

http://www.airush.com/2016/boards/slayer-v3/

The only issue with the Slayer is that it's not intended for waves, but one board can only do so much.

I wish I had a spare $1200 to drop on one. If I watch this video enough I might convince myself it's worth it:

https://vimeo.com/121311997

ankers
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: BRM

Postby ankers » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Very simple: spend 80 bucks and make an alaia. Cant go wrong. Good luck and enjoy the freestyle <
<

Litewave Dave
Frequent Poster

Postby Litewave Dave » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 pm

take a look at the Litewave DV8 6'1". Flatter tail rocker really makes this a good light wind board. Great for strapless freestyle.
http://www.litewavekiteboards.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”