Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite leaking from valve??? Oh hell no!!!

forum for kitesurfers

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Rasin Brand

Kite leaking from valve??? Oh hell no!!!

Postby LiquidXtasy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:16 pm

This kite has been giving me problems ever since day 1. It will not stay inflated, it flaps in the sky, and I'm getting :x because it's affects it's relaunching abilities. Yesterday I dunked it in the water and bubbles be coming out by the valve stem and the material around it. Do I need to buy a new bladder since this can't be fixed wit a patch? This kite has been nothing but straight up embarrassment!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Re: Kite leaking from valve??? Oh hell no!!!

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:35 pm

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 pm

What kite is it?...and which valve is leaking?

qwertywave
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby qwertywave » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 pm

The inflate valve on my 7 meter started to leek. It wasn't making a good seal when closed. It wouldn't loose all its air but enough to make the kite soft. I put a zip tie around the top of the valve and now its fully air tight when closed.

Not sure if you have the same problem but thought I'd pass it on

sflinux
Frequent Poster

Postby sflinux » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:54 pm

qwertywave wrote: I put a zip tie around the top of the valve and now its fully air tight when closed. n
I like TopHats recommendation of putting a oring on the valve better.
It sounds like your valve is delaminating from the bladder, which is common on newer kites. Best to pull the bladder out and diagnose. I'm not a fan of the peel and stick valves at all. What works best for me is to clean the bladder and valve, then glue with aquaseal. Do it in a well ventilated area. After drying overnight, put the bladder back in the kite. Then pump the kite up and allow it to sit overnight. If the kite is still firm the following day, then you are good to go. If it is limp, then you still have a leak.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster

Postby LiquidXtasy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:08 am

Laughingman wrote:Just buy a replacement valve

http://www.airtimekite.com/index.php/ai ... alves.html
Thank You
OnB wrote:What kite is it?...and which valve is leaking?
A liquid force session, the inflate/deflate valve?
qwertywave wrote:The inflate valve on my 7 meter started to leek. It wasn't making a good seal when closed. It wouldn't loose all its air but enough to make the kite soft. I put a zip tie around the top of the valve and now its fully air tight when closed.

Not sure if you have the same problem but thought I'd pass it on
sflinux wrote:
qwertywave wrote: I put a zip tie around the top of the valve and now its fully air tight when closed. n
I like TopHats recommendation of putting a oring on the valve better.
It sounds like your valve is delaminating from the bladder, which is common on newer kites. Best to pull the bladder out and diagnose. I'm not a fan of the peel and stick valves at all. What works best for me is to clean the bladder and valve, then glue with aquaseal. Do it in a well ventilated area. After drying overnight, put the bladder back in the kite. Then pump the kite up and allow it to sit overnight. If the kite is still firm the following day, then you are good to go. If it is limp, then you still have a leak.
It's not leaking out of the end of the valve it's leaking around the sides. I'm not sure if glueing the valve is a good idea because it might shrink later in the future. I have a good mind to just pull the entire valve out and patch it so I never have to deal with it again.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:35 am

I've used airtime valve traps with great success many times. I have two sails sporting them....one is an LF. My LF had kind of an odd arrangement with the valve sandwiched between two layers of PU.

Just as a reminder since no one pointed it out (that I noticed): heat will cause this problem. Leaving your kite in your car or storing it in a hot place such as a shed or attic will certainly lead to valve delams.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 am

LiquidXtasy wrote: It's not leaking out of the end of the valve it's leaking around the sides. I'm not sure if glueing the valve is a good idea because it might shrink later in the future. I have a good mind to just pull the entire valve out and patch it so I never have to deal with it again.
Don't worry about it, that's the single most common kite leak out there. Warm it with a hair dryer, pull the valve off, stick a piece of wax paper in the bladder so you don't glue the sides together, and Aquaseal the valve back on. Boom done. It'll never leak again. And while you have the bladder out do all the rest of the valves too. Heat gluing on factory bladders sucks, especially if you leave your gear in a hot car all day.

We've been fixing valves like this for 15 years with no issues. Just do it.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster

Postby LiquidXtasy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
LiquidXtasy wrote: It's not leaking out of the end of the valve it's leaking around the sides. I'm not sure if glueing the valve is a good idea because it might shrink later in the future. I have a good mind to just pull the entire valve out and patch it so I never have to deal with it again.
Don't worry about it, that's the single most common kite leak out there. Warm it with a hair dryer, pull the valve off, stick a piece of wax paper in the bladder so you don't glue the sides together, and Aquaseal the valve back on. Boom done. It'll never leak again. And while you have the bladder out do all the rest of the valves too. Heat gluing on factory bladders sucks, especially if you leave your gear in a hot car all day.

We've been fixing valves like this for 15 years with no issues. Just do it.

So your saying once I glue all the valves, I will never have any problems with any of them ever again?

Is there a way to take the wax paper back out? Or do I have to live with it being in there forever too?

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:23 pm

LiquidXtasy wrote:So your saying once I glue all the valves, I will never have any problems with any of them ever again?
Yes.

And it's you're.
Is there a way to take the wax paper back out? Or do I have to live with it being in there forever too?
If you really care you can fish it out of the valve. I never bother as it has no affect on anything whatsoever.

Return to “Kitesurfing”