Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wave Kiting – doubt about specific quiver vs. technique

Postby vela99 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:24 am

Great discussion guys, thanks a lot !

:thumb:

I will start practicing kiteloops on flat water this afternoon.

I guess I have to start off joining the "kite move clan" for now and once I purchased myself a wave specific kite I can also join the "drift clan". I say "also" because I believe that unless you always sail in very similar conditions it comes in handy to have a spectrum of techniques that allow you to adopt to the specific conditions.

Wavesailing is all about adopting to the conditions (and preferences of course).

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:15 pm

vela99 wrote: I will start practicing kiteloops on flat water this afternoon.
Just to be clear, a downloop and a kiteloop are two different things.

A downloop is a gentle half of a kiteloop, they aren't very scary and don't have too much potential to cause pain.

A kiteloop on the otherhand has both pop and downwind pull which can lead to some serious splatage.

vela99
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''

Postby vela99 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:41 am

Hi All,

it has been awhile since the last reply on this post. Given that you gave me so much useful input which helped me I thought I let you know on how things developed since. I think I owe you that since it helped me to make the right decisions:

I sold the 2011 North Rebel 12m and replaced it with a 2017 North Neo 11m and I also decided to buy a 2017 North Neo 8m. I also substituted the North Nugget 5.2 with a Slingshot Celeritas 5.8. It made a significant difference and I have been able to really accelerate in my progress. Given that the Neo it is so much lighter and drifts well sitting deeper in the window I am actually able to "follow" the kite in bottom turns or long drawn out fast jibes without having to worry about it dropping or yanking by running to the window edge. Surfing in off shore conditions with fast and big waves paired with low wind remains a challenge though and I need to improve my technique or accept the physical limit which I still need to determine by trial & error.

Thanks a lot guys!

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Interesting thread.

I am a frequent looper - in the waves I’m often in the wrong spot - chasing a section, outrunning whitewater , boxed in by a mate or stuck in the gully between close outs and the sand and occasionally need to accelerate dead downwind to get clear. 3-5 continuous loops does wonders - just keep it looping and point where ever you need to, unspin the Bar later.

Getting comfy with looping is fun on a Hydrofoil too - you can throw a few kiteloops in whilst riding deep downwind to retention the lines and avoid outrunning your kite. Plus it looks and feels cool. It’s a useful skill to practice.

Have you tried any of the new single strut kites like the North Monk or Airush Ultra ? I used an Ultra today for the first time and was so impressed. I didn’t gel with the Clouds but the light weight LEIs are excellent IMO.

Return to “Kitesurfing”