Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

pay to kite a spot in uk

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

pay to kite a spot in uk

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:04 pm

i am in the UK for a visit and am horrified that you have to pay to kite at some locations

It's like someone has decided to be neptune himself

i'll never pay 1c to kitesurf, the ocean is for everyone... well except here apparently. if you kite above the mean LOW tide mark a some spots you are trespassing on private land.. crazy nutcaseness

Anyway, pretty disgusted that people would think this is ok and go along with it.

#neverpaytokite

Been nice and windy tho! :-)

paulie
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: pay to kite a spot in uk

Postby paulie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:05 am

Where is this? I only know of a couple where the beach is private and there is a club in place. 99% of spots in the UK are public and free.

Cheers

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:20 am

In Germany many beaches charge for the access...but not only kiters, everyone!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 am

In Canada, the land below high tide line is public, Crown-owned. But the upland can be private with no access to it.

We are starved for good quality launches around here. If someone cleared some land with nice soft grass, no downwind obstacles, and the right wind orientation, I'd probably pay a few bucks to use it. Add hot showers, tasty snacks, and some adult beverages, and now we're talking. :D

jack1587
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish
Ambleside
Spanish Banks
Boundary Bay
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Squamish
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: 12m Liquid Force Envy
9m Cabrinha Vector
7m Liquid Force Envy
Cabrinha Xcaliber 132cm

Postby jack1587 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:53 am

In Squamish, BC, Canada there is a location called the spit. It costs $20 per time or you can get a membership for the season. It sounds bad but they have rescue, people to launch you, first aid and most important deal with permits. So we do pay to kite there but otherwise we wouldn't get to kite at all in that location and would miss the great consistent thermal wind all summer. Paying in this situation makes sense to me but paying for no reason because of tide makes absolutely no sense!

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:32 am

longwhitecloud wrote:i am in the UK for a visit and am horrified that you have to pay to kite at some locations

It's like someone has decided to be neptune himself

i'll never pay 1c to kitesurf, the ocean is for everyone... well except here apparently. if you kite above the mean LOW tide mark a some spots you are trespassing on private land.. crazy nutcaseness

Anyway, pretty disgusted that people would think this is ok and go along with it.

#neverpaytokite

Been nice and windy tho! :-)
where you at bud?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:32 am

paying to access via private land (always above water!) is a different issue... wow... paying to kite on the ocean is such crazy concept to me! I never surfed in Fiji until they gave everyone equal rights to the ocean a few years ago. i think the Maldives is the only other place on earth to do this - will never go there until they change this crazyness too.

Hayling Island and WItterings.

It's not even an access issue, it's the fact that the water below the mean high tide mark to the mean low tide mark is private! :-0 Where many of the slicks are... Someone basically told me they were chased out of the water - they accessed the location by riding upwind for a couple of km - never touched land!

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:59 am

West Wittering is pretty unique in the UK for the low water mark being private. That is not the case at Haying Island though, only the beach is private and you can access the lagoons from short upwind blast from a public beach. No one can stop you kiting there.

This is pretty much the case across the UK, the vast majority of spots are free access but of course we suffer from the same pressures as everywhere else with crowds and possible bans.That said the further you kite away from the South East coast the less the less the crowds become.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:42 pm

I have absolutely no probs with paying for kiting itself. If the payment assures for empty spots :)
What I find slightly annoying in the UK is the parking business model. You pay everywhere. And many parking lots are video monitored, with nice shots of every number plate entering and leaving. This is disgusting :angryfire:

But anyway, the Cornish spots and people are so brilliant, I´ll return very soon :thumb: Despite the brutal exchange rate GBP - EUR.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Because the weather and water are so cold, there is not an important culture of using the sea for recreation like in warmer places.

So you tend to get raw sewage pumped into the sea and a short season in the summer where water quality is even an issue. Due to pressure from Europe, the sea water inspection standards have been raised this year. That will eventually get better results for cleanliness.

The are a lack of access spots and poor facilities for water sports users - except for yacht clubs.

That's why few people travel to the UK for water sports.

Return to “Kitesurfing”