Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help me understand my equipment

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Help me understand my equipment

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:09 am

Bottom line.....I am looking for advice on how to utilize my equipment and kite control to almost eliminate the odds of getting a kite loop.

I have flown my 3m Hyrda 300 trainer now for 3 months and I have never had an issue other than a nasty 10-15 looping experience that I will never forget in 30mph winds. Holy shit did I gain respect for a kite after that. I am almost petrified of a real LEI kite loop after that. I have watched the progression videos over and over and read a ton of posts on kite loops now and watched and read the comments on kite loop disasters on youtube to learn from.

It was highly recommended on here to wait until lessons prior to purchasing equipment, but I had a good deal locally and jumped on it and now I am glad I did, b/c I can now learn the equipment vs just read and watch people use it.

I am particularly concerned about the sequence of issues related to a kite loop and then the use of a hook knife as well as advice on how to completely avoid a loop. I watched the below video and they say to disconnect the leash first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GmaGpJChTI

Here is the video I put together of my Cabrinha 2014 bar and the questions I have about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pStwmHZNc

I would also like to ask what are the top 3-5 causes of a kite loop and how to avoid. Also, where to get a proper knife.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Help me understand my equipment

Postby edt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:22 am

first of all make sure you leash to the front or side. if you get a death loop 1) use quick release 2) if the regular quick release doesn't work use the leash release. knives are ok but the quick release is the primary safety device. I think cabrinha calls them QR1 and QR2 use them in the order cabrinha suggests.

top causes of death loops

* bridle wrap. if you have a long bridle it wraps around the wingtip. doesn't happen with short bridle kites.
* debris in the bridle. You can get a twig or something else in the bridle
* the chicken line wraps around the bar (after a crash)
* putting on the lines wrong if you don't have kook-proof connectors

It's impossible to entirely eliminate death loops. But by being alert and using your quick releases you can usually avoid injury. I've been in plenty of death loops, just stayed calm, pulled the quick releases never been a big deal. Death loops at launch are probably the most dangerous because land is hard.
Last edited by edt on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 am, edited 9 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:27 am

1. Take a lesson.
2. Take a lesson.
3. Take a lesson.

A knife will help in maybe 0.001% of the cases when your kite is looping.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:45 am

edt,

I read on here that with the LEI's once you get a couple loops the QR may no longer work...are your releases happening before this or soon thereafter?

T,
I am getting lessons as soon as the wind picks back up. I actually like flying my trainer and have been doing some cool shit with my SUP recently to pass the time :jump:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:10 am

After 10 or 20 loops the primary quick release won't do anything (lines get too tangled up) but the secondary or leash release will still work fine.

why don't people use their quick releases? they just keep trying to fly the kite you yell at them RELEASE but Nope they keep tugging on the bar.

also when you are leashed to the back you are getting dragged backwards that's anther reason kiters didn't release.

if you can use your quick release calmly and quickly you'll usually be ok. kiting is of course dangerous so there's no promise of safety.

but most death loop injuries happen when kiters won't or can't use the release

there's this one video kiter has a gopro on the kite death loops he's in front of a concrete seawall you hear him notice the kite looped once already it landed in the water so what's he do of course he relaunches the kite loops again dude still hasn't figured it out relaunched again bam into the concrete walked away with a sore ankle.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:26 am

What above posts say pretty much covers it. Use a short leash so it is not long enough to tangle on the bar (most manufacturers are irresponsible to provide long leashes with their harnesses for handle passes). I tie 5-6 knots on mine to make it short. And finally, something that has been lost in teaching... FEAR THE KITE. Fear is good. The kite is like a loaded gun, it can blow your head off in a second if you are stupid. But worry about it, respect it, maintain it and you are OK.

JBZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: texas city Levee, Sherman island
Favorite Beaches: texas city Levee, Sherman island california, kite beach Maui
Style: freeride, wake style, wave
Gear: Best, slingshot, crazyfly
Been thanked: 0

Postby JBZ » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:36 pm

its just a matter of time...seriously! I had a death loop when I snapped a front line...skipping on my back. quick release saved me and the walk of shame with a kite under my arm. equipment fails...eventually it happens to everybody. just had a chicken loop snap in half on my last session. best to know your safety equipment and have a way to get away from the kite. I would rather loose a kite then a life.

edit: speaking of...anyone have CL for sale with a quick release? I have already replaced the one that failed but need one for my old frankenbar.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:49 pm

edt wrote:first of all make sure you leash to the front or side. if you get a death loop 1) use quick release 2) if the regular quick release doesn't work use the leash release. knives are ok but the quick release is the primary safety device. I think cabrinha calls them QR1 and QR2 use them in the order cabrinha suggests.

* bridle wrap. if you have a long bridle it wraps around the wingtip. doesn't happen with short bridle kites.

It's impossible to entirely eliminate death loops. But by being alert and using your quick releases you can usually avoid injury. I've been in plenty of death loops, just stayed calm, pulled the quick releases never been a big deal. Death loops at launch are probably the most dangerous because land is hard.

I would also add -

1. Getting too stoked to get out there and not properly checking your connections and set up. Ive seen guys forget to connect a line, loosely connect one, or not inspect it good enough that it snaps on launch (the latter happens with older lines/bridles/connections). Which is a whole other topic when beginners try to cheaply get into the sport buying super old gear.

Ive seen a few death loops happen due to this. Mostly happens during the launch and/or if your kite crashes in the water (or on land) and it flips over it self, etc. Then the above points EDT mentioned happen.

Bottom line: make sure your gear is in good working order, double check your rigging/connections before launch, if you crash the kite and it flips over, keep a close eye as it rotates or tries to relaunch with your hand ready to throw the release.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:26 pm

FEAR THE KITE. Fear is good. The kite is like a loaded gun, it can blow your head off in a second if you are stupid.
Geeeez?!

Let's not get carried away! I've been kiting for 16 years & although I admit I had my share of kitemares in the early (2-line/C-kite days), I haven't had a problem with a death-looping kite for years & I've only had to emergency release the CL once in all that time (& that includes a number of broken line incidents).

I think the key thing for kite safety is to be aware of the weather conditions - don't go out if it's too windy for your skill-level I(stick to 12 - 18 kts) & don't go out if the wind is extremely gusty, unstable or shifty.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:43 am

skullcandy wrote:
edt wrote:first of all make sure you leash to the front or side. if you get a death loop 1) use quick release 2) if the regular quick release doesn't work use the leash release. knives are ok but the quick release is the primary safety device. I think cabrinha calls them QR1 and QR2 use them in the order cabrinha suggests.

I would also add -

1. Getting too stoked to get out there and not properly checking your connections and set up. Ive seen guys forget to connect a line, loosely connect one, or not inspect it good enough that it snaps on launch (the latter happens with older lines/bridles/connections). Which is a whole other topic when beginners try to cheaply get into the sport buying super old gear.

Ive seen a few death loops happen due to this. Mostly happens during the launch and/or if your kite crashes in the water (or on land) and it flips over it self, etc. Then the above points EDT mentioned happen.

Bottom line: make sure your gear is in good working order, double check your rigging/connections before launch, if you crash the kite and it flips over, keep a close eye as it rotates or tries to relaunch with your hand ready to throw the release.
Right, 35 knots... just off fom work... go go go. Launch, the kite had a line behind the wingtp, looped ... hit the qr right away. It saved my ass. As soon a u feel something is wrong release. It dont take 10 loops to jam the 1sr qr on 2 line front release.

Return to “Kitesurfing”