Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2010 OR Rise Issue

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: 2010 OR Rise Issue

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Glad to hear it, sorry I missed the PM you sent me until now. If you like the Rise, you should try the Prodigy, I loved the old Rises, and the Prodigy definitely has some of the pedigree from the Rise.

langfordja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Panama City Beach, FL
Style: free
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Mako board and Epic Screamer kites
Shinnster for strapless light wind
Slingshot foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby langfordja » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:31 am

Rise update : I flew it to today, trying some of the forum's suggestions. The wind was stronger than my previous test flights but still too light to ride a 9m. Keeping a little tension on the back lines helped a bunch, even if the kite was not moving. While (attempting) riding, since I was underpowered, I was sine-waving a lot, so the kite was always moving. It was too light to jump, so I did not test if I could prevent any Hindenburg's during jumps.

Down loop : The wind today was better for my 14m NRG. While riding it, I thought about the forum's down loop advice. I wouldn't call it a "loop", but, during jumps, I do give it a little front hand to get the kite moving back in the direction of travel and away from high noon. Is that a down loop ?

This kite movement during a jump is what I may need to work on with my Rise because it is not as forgiving as my other kites. My other kites will not Hindenburg even if I am late or slow, with this front hand movement. Maybe I need some tough love from the Rise to help me work on my technique. I am pretty sure a couple of today's jumps would have Hindenburged, had I been on the Rise, due to my lazy front hand technique.

The 9m Rise is a lot quicker than my 10m Screamer, which is the kite I am considering replacing with the Rise. So I'll have to see if I like that, with some side-by-side comparisons in the future.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:52 am

langfordja wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:31 am

Down loop : The wind today was better for my 14m NRG. While riding it, I thought about the forum's down loop advice. I wouldn't call it a "loop", but, during jumps, I do give it a little front hand to get the kite moving back in the direction of travel and away from high noon. Is that a down loop ?
No, a downloop is just what it sounds like. If you're riding port tack with the kite at 10 sheet in and pull your left hand as hard as possible. When the kite passes 6 (I know not a position you ever talk about in kiting, pointed straight down) initiate a HARD toeside carve all the way around. That's the safe and easy to learn it, when you get comfortable with that do it without the jibe to position your kite back in the window.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:56 am

The beach start at the beginning, he lands with a downloop -
https://vimeo.com/192421766

langfordja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Panama City Beach, FL
Style: free
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Mako board and Epic Screamer kites
Shinnster for strapless light wind
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:51 am

Ok. I'll start working on my downloops. Thanks.

A youtube video recommends getting comfortable with downloops, by body-dragging before riding. That seems like a good idea, especially since this discussion started with a suggestion of using a downloop to escape from under a wave, after a wipe out. At this point I will essentially be body dragging anyway, so it would be good to have body dragging down loop experience.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 pm

langfordja wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:51 am
Ok. I'll start working on my downloops. Thanks.

A youtube video recommends getting comfortable with downloops, by body-dragging before riding. That seems like a good idea, especially since this discussion started with a suggestion of using a downloop to escape from under a wave, after a wipe out. At this point I will essentially be body dragging anyway, so it would be good to have body dragging down loop experience.
Everyone is going to offer you opinions but if you crank the kite hard in a downloop it's really (like really, really) easy to control the amount of power you get from it by sailing towards the kite. The harder you carve your turn, the faster you'll come out of the corner. If you're nervous, just take a longer / wider turn and sail off the wind towards the kite more as it comes around.

Good luck!

JZ

Return to “Kitesurfing”