Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby juandesooka » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:20 am

Good decision. I am all for doing stuff different, being innovative and creative. But with something like this, now that there's a market standard, better to go with it. As a holder of a mix n match quiver, my wind-addled kite-brain will be grateful to not have to switch pigtails under beach session pressure any more. ;-)

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:02 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:20 am
Good decision. I am all for doing stuff different, being innovative and creative. But with something like this, now that there's a market standard, better to go with it. As a holder of a mix n match quiver, my wind-addled kite-brain will be grateful to not have to switch pigtails under beach session pressure any more. ;-)
We totally agree. It was just a painful choice to tear off the bandaid and make the switch.

Best way to move forward with your own quiver is to get kite mod kits for all your 2017 or older Ocean Rodeo kites and bar mod kits for all your older (single front line safety only) bars so that all your OR gear is 2018 compliant and cross compatible with other brands' gear.

JZ

hgustavson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Third Avenue, San Mateo, CA
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hgustavson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 am

ORSales wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:27 am
You're correct. 2018 all kites will fly with 4 equal line lengths. We are working now to produce web and video support for all customers to explain the change but in summary:

2018 kites with 2018 bars - no changes needed, flies out of the bag

2018 kite with 2017 (or earlier) bars - requires bar adaptor kit and only works with single line safety bars (ie, older roll over style bars = do not use!)

2017 (or earlier) Kite with 2018 bar - requires kite adaptor kit

Ocean Rodeo recommends that customers with an assortment of gear modernize their entire quiver by getting appropriate adaptor kits to bring 100% of their older kites and bars up to the 2018 standard. This does 3 things. 1) it ensures all your gear moving forward is compatible with all new gear, 2) it makes this change all at once when you're paying attention to it (do it once, do it right) and 3) it ensures 100% of your Ocean Rodeo gear is now interchangeable with most other kite brand's equipment.

NOTE: to make this change very obvious we also reversed the loop / knot connection on the bar and kite. So, if you run your lines out and find knot / knot or loop / loop for your connection options you know you will need to either get a different bar or an appropriate adaptor kit.

As I said, web and video support coming asap to explain this all. It's a fairly simple change but we expect it will raise some questions and want to get in front of it now. With that in mind - if you have questions, post them here and I can use that to guide our guide! lol

John Z ~ OR
Hi John,

I've been been flying OR since 2007. My kite quiver is 100 percent OR. Love em! I have a variety of kites including Flite, Prodigy and Razor. The kites are from different years and generations.

I'm happy about the change but after reading this post I wanted to know more so I went to the OR website. I could not find anything related to the topic. I would like to retrofit my kites now and confirm which of my bars I can continue to use. Where can I find more info?

Do I have to call OR directly? Btw, the only thing I do not like about OR is the Website. No Support or Forum section (that was removed some years ago), broken links and such. I do not use Facebook so I'm not sure where to turn besides here.

Also OR shifted from releasing new kites on an annual basis and started using 'generations'. I just purchased a 5m Prodigy which is latest generation and received it last week. I've not looked at my connections but did you change the configuration of the current generation of kites? Or are you releasing new generation of kites for 2018 so that it's clear which models and generations have the new setup?

Cheers,

Hans

PS:. Can you guys release the Flite in smaller sizes (6, 7)

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:06 pm

hgustavson wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 am
ORSales wrote:
You're correct. 2018 all kites will fly with 4 equal line lengths. We are working now to produce web and video support for all customers to explain the change but in summary:

2018 kite with 2017 (or earlier) bars - requires bar adaptor kit and only works with single line safety bars (ie, older roll over style bars = do not use!)

Ocean Rodeo recommends that customers with an assortment of gear modernize their entire quiver by getting appropriate adaptor kits to bring 100% of their older kites and bars up to the 2018 standard. This does 3 things. 1) it ensures all your gear moving forward is compatible with all new gear, 2) it makes this change all at once when you're paying attention to it (do it once, do it right) and 3) it ensures 100% of your Ocean Rodeo gear is now interchangeable with most other kite brand's equipment.

NOTE: to make this change very obvious we also reversed the loop / knot connection on the bar and kite. So, if you run your lines out and find knot / knot or loop / loop for your connection options you know you will need to either get a different bar or an appropriate adaptor kit.

As I said, web and video support coming asap to explain this all. It's a fairly simple change but we expect it will raise some questions and want to get in front of it now. With that in mind - if you have questions, post them here and I can use that to guide our guide! lol

John Z ~ OR
Hi John,

I've been been flying OR since 2007. My kite quiver is 100 percent OR. Love em! I have a variety of kites including Flite, Prodigy and Razor. The kites are from different years and generations.

I'm happy about the change but after reading this post I wanted to know more so I went to the OR website. I could not find anything related to the topic. I would like to retrofit my kites now and confirm which of my bars I can continue to use. Where can I find more info?

Do I have to call OR directly? Btw, the only thing I do not like about OR is the Website. No Support or Forum section (that was removed some years ago), broken links and such. I do not use Facebook so I'm not sure where to turn besides here.

Also OR shifted from releasing new kites on an annual basis and started using 'generations'. I just purchased a 5m Prodigy which is latest generation and received it last week. I've not looked at my connections but did you change the configuration of the current generation of kites? Or are you releasing new generation of kites for 2018 so that it's clear which models and generations have the new setup?

Cheers,

Hans

Hans, first of all, thank-you for your loyalty to the brand over the years.

Our website is currently being completely re-built with the expectation that we will launch a new site complete with the public launch of the next generation (for argument's sake, 2018) kites. Inclusive of this re-launch will be a proper FAQ section outlining the various situations.

However, we will be selling 2 different adaptor kits. 1 will adapt your 2017 or older kites to work with 2018 bars. The 2nd will adapt your 2017 or older bars to work with 2018 or newer kites.

Ocean Rodeo recommends that you update 100% of your gear to be "Next Gen Compliant". By doing so, you will ensure that even that old 5m you have in your garage is ready to go next year when you try to pair it with your new 2020 bars...

The new site will also have video support for this update and will explain all of this in detail.

Specific to your question about your new Prodigy, most likely it will need the adaptor kit but to be sure, give our offices a call or email sales@oceanrodeo.com with a photo of the wing tip so we can tell you for sure.

John

hgustavson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Third Avenue, San Mateo, CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hgustavson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:07 am

ORSales wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:06 pm
hgustavson wrote:
ORSales wrote:

John Z ~ OR
Hi John,

Cheers,

Hans

Hans, first of all, thank-you for your loyalty to the brand over the years.

Our website is currently being completely re-built with the expectation that we will launch a new site complete with the public launch of the next generation (for argument's sake, 2018) kites. Inclusive of this re-launch will be a proper FAQ section outlining the various situations.

However, we will be selling 2 different adaptor kits. 1 will adapt your 2017 or older kites to work with 2018 bars. The 2nd will adapt your 2017 or older bars to work with 2018 or newer kites.

Ocean Rodeo recommends that you update 100% of your gear to be "Next Gen Compliant". By doing so, you will ensure that even that old 5m you have in your garage is ready to go next year when you try to pair it with your new 2020 bars...

The new site will also have video support for this update and will explain all of this in detail.

Specific to your question about your new Prodigy, most likely it will need the adaptor kit but to be sure, give our offices a call or email sales@oceanrodeo.com with a photo of the wing tip so we can tell you for sure.

John
Hi John,

Thank you for the prompt reply and clarifying my questions. Looking forward to the new site as well as the next gen equipment. Hopefully we'll see the release of an OR foil and some smaller sizes in the Flite.

Cheers,

Hans

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 am

hgustavson wrote:
Second that !!! Hey John you see there's a market for smaller Flites, come on ! :roll:

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm

SparD wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 am
hgustavson wrote:
Second that !!! Hey John you see there's a market for smaller Flites, come on ! :roll:
Never say never! Though, that being said - not currently in the pipeline!

I will add it to the quarterly review for discussion though!

JZ

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 pm

ORSales wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm
SparD wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 am
hgustavson wrote:
Never say never! Though, that being said - not currently in the pipeline!

I will add it to the quarterly review for discussion though!

JZ
Mention that hydrofoiling is a growing market ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”