whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.
Has thanked: 0

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby whabbits » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Slappysan wrote:
ORSales wrote: However, if I follow you're suggesting we also provide front line pigtails to allow others to use this bar with pigtails on all 4 lines for their kite? If this is the case, I can certainly get you some spare pigtails!

We struggle with the best option for the pigtails as by keeping all 4 lines the same length before pigtails on the back lines we make the line replacement very easy to do. If we were to shorten the back lines it would mean that not all line sets out there would work with our kites... I'm always open to suggestions though!
Thanks for the reply John. I fly 4 different kites on one non-OR bar, one of which is an OR Prodigy. While I like the kite I dislike having to worry about adding the pigtails to the rear lines for just that one kite.

I would much rather you simply shorten the kite's rear attachment knot and include 4 kook proof pigtails already installed on your bars like all the other guys have been doing for a long time now.

Then I could hook up my bar to my OR kite without having to worry about stuff like that. I also like to have a pigtail between my lines and my kites so even when I'm flying my OR kite I have double pigtails on the rears and single on the fronts.
My gf flies a variety of brands including a couple of OR kites on another brand bar. 'The bar she uses has all 4 lines equal with 4 loops on the ends.
She took the kook proof connectors that came with her OR kites (in the bag) and added them to the rear bridle of the kite. She does not need to add them to the bar each time.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Slappysan wrote:
ORSales wrote: However, if I follow you're suggesting we also provide front line pigtails to allow others to use this bar with pigtails on all 4 lines for their kite? If this is the case, I can certainly get you some spare pigtails!

We struggle with the best option for the pigtails as by keeping all 4 lines the same length before pigtails on the back lines we make the line replacement very easy to do. If we were to shorten the back lines it would mean that not all line sets out there would work with our kites... I'm always open to suggestions though!
Thanks for the reply John. I fly 4 different kites on one non-OR bar, one of which is an OR Prodigy. While I like the kite I dislike having to worry about adding the pigtails to the rear lines for just that one kite.

I would much rather you simply shorten the kite's rear attachment knot and include 4 kook proof pigtails already installed on your bars like all the other guys have been doing for a long time now.

Then I could hook up my bar to my OR kite without having to worry about stuff like that. I also like to have a pigtail between my lines and my kites so even when I'm flying my OR kite I have double pigtails on the rears and single on the fronts.
Slappy, I hear you and we will look at these options moving forward.

However - specific to your concerns. The easiest thing to do is to simply remove the pigtail from the bar end and attach it permanently to the end of the rear line attachment on your kite. Simply loop to loop the kook proof to the rear line attachment, letting the knotted end hang down and attach your rear lines to that point when you rig the Prodigy.

Hope this helps!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Ha! +1 for Whabbits...

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:13 pm

FWIW - because I totally don't have anything else to do today (lol) - we are going to include with our bars going forward 2x Front Line pig tails with a card that indicates something along the lines of "use these if you brand of kite flies with all 4 lines equal length"

Should help ensure all brands of kite are easily used with our bars.

Caveat - 1st shipment of bars are already enroute. If you buy a Control Bar before Christmas it likely won't include these. If that's the case, get in touch with us and we will send you some....

JZ - OR

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:24 pm

I'm not sure exactly what Slappy is referring to, but aren't ALL bars set up with equal length lines? If not, they should be.

I have a Razor that flew weird when i first got it. I had to make new longer rear pigtails to get it to fly properly. It takes a few minutes to set you kites up initially, but once done you never have to think about what bar or kite you have, just tie on and go.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Bushflyr wrote:I'm not sure exactly what Slappy is referring to, but aren't ALL bars set up with equal length lines? If not, they should be.

I have a Razor that flew weird when i first got it. I had to make new longer rear pigtails to get it to fly properly. It takes a few minutes to set you kites up initially, but once done you never have to think about what bar or kite you have, just tie on and go.

Thread drift and now people not reading the drift and commenting.... :P

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Attachments
IMG_9688.JPG
control_bar.png
control_gallery05__large.jpg

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:48 am

The bar looks very nice. It would be even better with 3 different line colours though and higher strength fronts than rears.

Can I ask how the bar handles both standard single front line flagging and OR style double front line flagging Direct Depower? Do you have to switch what the red flagging line attaches to?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:58 am

Slappysan wrote:The bar looks very nice. It would be even better with 3 different line colours though and higher strength fronts than rears.

Can I ask how the bar handles both standard single front line flagging and OR style double front line flagging Direct Depower? Do you have to switch what the red flagging line attaches to?
Slappy, the bar does come with 2x different lines (not 3) and the front lines are 850lb test while the backs are 650lb tests.

This bar is a single front line re-ride. It works fine with our roll over bridle kites but will flag them out on one front line.
Attachments
IMG_9689.JPG

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:07 am

ORSales wrote:Ha! +1 for Whabbits...
Wow. I don't even know what to say to that.

John. I have a lot of respect for you and OR but seriously you still have not answered my question...... Why are you tuning your kites to fly with unequal line lengths..

Return to “Kitesurfing”