Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:54 am
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby Slappysan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:57 pm

I hope you guys move away from unequal line lengths via the lack of 2 pigtails that you've been doing in the past and provide 4 pigtails at even lengths for this new system John.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire/Tomo, Loyd, Ion
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Western DSA

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:11 pm

ORSales wrote:Our Control Bar will feature
- Rear line adjustors (to retune your bar once front lines stretch)
- 850lb 21m, stretch and wear resistant lines
- Reversible pig tails for compatibility with any company's kite

Regarding line extensions, we include those with our kites not our bars but obviously, they are not hard to come across.

John Z ~ OR
What's the bar sizing on the new OR bar?
BWS & GIN offer their bars in 17" & 20" (44 & 52cm). Ikon's is 45cm only. Caution's is ?
I like the unification of brands using the same bar design. Also makes getting replacement parts much more versatile. :thumb:

User avatar
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:29 pm

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby ORSales » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:41 pm

Slappysan wrote:I hope you guys move away from unequal line lengths via the lack of 2 pigtails that you've been doing in the past and provide 4 pigtails at even lengths for this new system John.
Hi Slappy - just to be clear, all 4 of our lines are the same length before the rear line pigtails are added so it would be easy to simply fly the bar without any pigtails if your kite requires all 4 lines be equal length.

However, if I follow you're suggesting we also provide front line pigtails to allow others to use this bar with pigtails on all 4 lines for their kite? If this is the case, I can certainly get you some spare pigtails!

We struggle with the best option for the pigtails as by keeping all 4 lines the same length before pigtails on the back lines we make the line replacement very easy to do. If we were to shorten the back lines it would mean that not all line sets out there would work with our kites... I'm always open to suggestions though!
Da Yoda wrote:What's the bar sizing on the new OR bar?
BWS & GIN offer their bars in 17" & 20" (44 & 52cm). Ikon's is 45cm only. Caution's is ?
I like the unification of brands using the same bar design. Also makes getting replacement parts much more versatile. :thumb:
52cm to start! We may introduce a smaller bar too but for now have gone with one size only.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby juandesooka » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:11 am

ORSales wrote: Hi Slappy - just to be clear, all 4 of our lines are the same length before the rear line pigtails are added so it would be easy to simply fly the bar without any pigtails if your kite requires all 4 lines be equal length.

However, if I follow you're suggesting we also provide front line pigtails to allow others to use this bar with pigtails on all 4 lines for their kite? If this is the case, I can certainly get you some spare pigtails!

We struggle with the best option for the pigtails as by keeping all 4 lines the same length before pigtails on the back lines we make the line replacement very easy to do. If we were to shorten the back lines it would mean that not all line sets out there would work with our kites... I'm always open to suggestions though!
Seems OR has take another step towards standardizing with the rest of the industry. It's great to do your own thing and differentiate yourself, but on small stuff like this, I think it's better to all be on the same page.

When you have to add 4" pigtails to your rear lines, the lines are not equal length for your kite. And honestly, that's goofy. If you instead add a permanent 4" extension (pig tail) to the rear lines from the kite bridle, then problem solved....."all 4 kite lines are equal length", like everyone else. 8)

Someone gave me advice at one point to use pigtails on all 4 lines, as that way the pigtail end gets the additional wear and tear rather than the line end. A lot easier to replace a pigtail than repair a spliced line end. The other advantage of this ... the kook proof knot end vs loop end can then be swapped out between kite brands quickly. Hey there's another thing OR does different than most! :wink:

User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup
Location: Southwestern Ontario

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:25 am

ORSales wrote:
Slappysan wrote:I hope you guys move away from unequal line lengths via the lack of 2 pigtails that you've been doing in the past and provide 4 pigtails at even lengths for this new system John.
Hi Slappy - just to be clear, all 4 of our lines are the same length before the rear line pigtails are added so it would be easy to simply fly the bar without any pigtails if your kite requires all 4 lines be equal length.

However, if I follow you're suggesting we also provide front line pigtails to allow others to use this bar with pigtails on all 4 lines for their kite? If this is the case, I can certainly get you some spare pigtails!

We struggle with the best option for the pigtails as by keeping all 4 lines the same length before pigtails on the back lines we make the line replacement very easy to do. If we were to shorten the back lines it would mean that not all line sets out there would work with our kites... I'm always open to suggestions though!
Da Yoda wrote:What's the bar sizing on the new OR bar?
BWS & GIN offer their bars in 17" & 20" (44 & 52cm). Ikon's is 45cm only. Caution's is ?
I like the unification of brands using the same bar design. Also makes getting replacement parts much more versatile. :thumb:
52cm to start! We may introduce a smaller bar too but for now have gone with one size only.
I'm a bit confused. So OR kites do not fly on equal line length?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby knotwindy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:17 am

well, if you hook the pigtail that comes with the kite to the kite rear lines, then yes it does. :roll:

EastCC
Medium Poster
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor & LT138
Ocean Rodeo Roam & Jester
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo dealer Australia
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby EastCC » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:05 am

Yes they fly with different line lengths.

All the OR kites come with the rear line pigtails in the bag, and the bars have them fitted.
If you're using an OR bar on a different kite, take them off the rear lines. If you're using a different bar with an OR kite put them on the kite. If you're using an OR bar with an OR kite leave them in the bag for spares.

I believe it is for backwards compatibility, which is a good idea.

User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup
Location: Southwestern Ontario

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:56 pm

EastCC wrote:Yes they fly with different line lengths.

I believe it is for backwards compatibility, which is a good idea.
What would be a good idea is to stop making kites that fly on different line lengths... that is just dangerous in a day when everyone else kites fly on equal line lengths... sure include the pig tails for backward compatibility but step out of the past and stop perpetuating a past poor decision already. The industry standard is for kites to be sold to fly on equal line lengths.

Seriously, why continue to do this? Nostalgia?

User avatar
The Captain
Frequent Poster
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: POOR SATELLITE RECEPTION

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:56 pm

OR Sales,

Does this mean all your 2016 and later kites in all sizes will be optimized for the one bar length as well?

(thread drift...)

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2821
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: .

Re: 3 bars from 3 manufacturers ? Or not

Postby L0KI » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Laughingman wrote:What would be a good idea is to stop making kites that fly on different line lengths... that is just dangerous in a day when everyone else kites fly on equal line lengths... sure include the pig tails for backward compatibility but step out of the past and stop perpetuating a past poor decision already. The industry standard is for kites to be sold to fly on equal line lengths.

Seriously, why continue to do this? Nostalgia?
Pete- What John said was that the bars come with four equal line lengths....and that the pigtails (for rear lines) were to even the lines out after the front lines stretch, which is pretty common, yeah?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], knotwindy, PanTau, shutupjoy, Tone, Yahoo [Bot] and 26 guests

cron