Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

lower line self landing

Postby edt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:29 am

I think everyone knows the upper center line self landing technique, you bring the kite down and yank really hard on the upper line. As I have said before I like this technique fine . . . in 15 knots or less wind. Above that you are taking a chance that the wind will get under the kite and well it just sucks. Maybe you end up flagging out maybe you have to release the kite. So above 15 knots I use lower line self landing. Not upper, lower. You use the lower line just like it were a flag out line. Completely disconnect from the kite, grab the upper line and walk slightly upwind to keep the kite in a U shape. Then stroll to the kite, walking down the lower line, like I said.

This technique is pretty much identical to flagging out the kite, disconnecting from the kite and then walking down the flag out line. The only real difference is you don't throw the QR and you put the kite in a U shape so it won't flap around.

You can use this technique up to about 30 knots. Above that I prefer flagging out on the water if I have to self land.

sorry for the shake cam and light wind. You know how it is, always something more interesting to do than make a self landing video. So I probably won't remake the viddy.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: lower line self landing

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:53 am

That's not a self landing, that's a barely recovered crash. :o

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:51 am

I see death spiral potential here, or is it just me?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:57 am

in stronger winds on most bridled kites bring kite to edge with one tip touching the ground unhook walk up both front lines with steady and even tension. When you get close to the kite you can grab it or pull upper front line to drop the kite. try it in lighter winds before you try it on a windy day. having someone experienced land your kite is always best but not an always an option so I do this often.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:04 am

i honestly dont have a good feel for how good this landing technique is. I have done it hundreds of times and never had a death loop but that doesn't really mean anything it's a small sample size.

The main reason I made this video is not to get other people to try it, use your own technique I think whatever you use now is perfectly fine. The main reason I made this video is that everyone is using top center line self landing and every time I tried to explain lower center line landing nobody understood. So I made a video of what it is.

The two types of self landings, top center and lower center are entirely different techniques. If you want to try it go ahead if not that's fine too.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Now I have a headache from the shakycam AND I MUST know what was making the squeaky noise... please?

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:15 pm

Unfortunately, french video (and the automatic translation is useless, sorry), but I now use the method shown from 5:35 when the wind is above 15 kn...

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:52 pm

sarc wrote:Now I have a headache from the shakycam AND I MUST know what was making the squeaky noise... please?
the same cause for shakey cam & squeaky noise it's the go pro I'm holding. the orange floaty sqeaks when it rubs against things.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Sgallian wrote:Unfortunately, french video (and the automatic translation is useless, sorry), but I now use the method shown from 5:35 when the wind is above 15 kn...
yeah that's the double center line method. Put the kite on its side and walk up both center lines. That method is better with a Y. With a low V the lines are always trying to get away from you.

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board

Postby Balloonboy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Sgallian wrote:Unfortunately, french video (and the automatic translation is useless, sorry), but I now use the method shown from 5:35 when the wind is above 15 kn...

That not much wind by the looks of it but it seems work in those conditions. But there's something about taking advice from a dewd who's hand is wrapped up from severe rope burns that just doesn't seem right.

Return to “Kitesurfing”