Skillit 2014 durability?

forum for kitesurfers

smurphd
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Skillit 2014 durability?

Postby smurphd » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi. Im looking at a 2014 5,6 skillit. But Ive read somewhere that the 2014 dont hold up well so i wonder if Anyone Would share Their experience. Im also wondering about flex. I have a 2011 which i love and it seems to be indestructible but its very stiff and hard on my knees. Since the 2014 is almost an inch thinner I'm guessing it has better flex but I'm wondering about the durability. I'm also thinking it has less volume since it's thinner, more narrow and have a more pinned tail I'm wondering how much later it starts than the 2011. On paper it looks perfect for what I want, but as said I'm curious about durability since I do loads of strapless jumping.

smurphd
Rare Poster

Re: Skillit 2014 durability?

Postby smurphd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Noone

nimo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Calshot
lepe
bournemouth area
north cornwall
Favorite Beaches: Hayle
Style: directional
Gear: Airush wave 12 , 9 , 7
shinn shinnster , surfboard

Postby nimo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:53 pm

I really wouldn't bother, mine snapped clean in two. No jumping just riding in chop and carving turns.
The board felt nice, a good bit of flex. Just not nearly strong enough. ............
had it replaced with a 2015 proto, built like a tank and no flex at all. A truly horrible thing.

kite252
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby kite252 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:59 pm

I love the 2014 skillet, the white/blue one, right? I have the 5'6" and do lots of strapless jumping and the boards don't dent and are light, but it is a surfboard and any surfboard can break so I think that is just part of any purchase you have to realize. The are really nice on a wave as well, just super loose and playful feeling. I've also ridden the 2015 boards and they are heavier for sure but rock solid strong, I doubt if anyone has ever broken one. But I think that is the sacrifice weight vs strength and i think the skillets find that balance really well...

smurphd
Rare Poster

Postby smurphd » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks for the answers. Yes it's the blue/white one. I haven't decided yet though. Incredible with all the materials around and all the experimenting they still can't make a board that will last and still feel like a surfboard.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:00 am

I had the 5'10" 2014 Skillit. amazing board. so fun to carve and do strapless airs. I put mine through about a year of abuse before I finally fell really hard on it and broke it in half. At the time I was 220lbs and landed so hard that my legs gave out from under me.

I'm guessing the thin volume combined with the concave deck and bottom probably sacrifice some strength. But these features are also a huge part of what makes this board so awesome.

I hope Cab will make something like the skillit again. I definitely miss having one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”