aftersun
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Advise on new quiver from Liquid Force, Cabrinha or Airush

Postby aftersun » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi,
I'm a beginner and just started riding. Now I'm about to get a complete new quiver and would like inputs and feedback on these different brands. I'll get a 9, 12 and a light wind kite. Looking at 2015 versions. What are the main differences on these?

Liquid Force Envy 9, 12 + Liquid Force Solo 17,5
Cabrinha Switchblade 9, 12 + Cabrinha Contra 17
Airush Lithium 9, 12 and 17

These are the kites that I'm looking into so please discuss no other brands.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

rleshem
Rare Poster

Re: Advise on new quiver from Liquid Force, Cabrinha or Airu

Postby rleshem » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:58 pm

The 2015 switchblades are great. Well built, fly very nicely, forgiving (very stable), and jump very well. The bar and lines are top notch. The lines are stiff so they hardly get tangled and very quick to set up which for a beginner a very big plus (I remeber untangling lines back in the day...)

Never tried the other two kites.
I use the 55cm fixed bar for my 8,10, and 12 and it works well.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:00 am

Honestly, unless you just don't have a budget, buy whatever modern beginner-friendly kite is cheapest and use the money you saved on a kite vacation. Most modern kites are good enough that it just doesn't matter which you choose (so long as it isn't something designed for advanced riders). Used is fine, if it is reasonably good shape. Also, 17 is a big kite, I gave up on anything bigger than about 13 years ago, unless you are heavy, I just don't think it is worth it. Where do you live/ where do you plan on doing most of your kiting?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm in agreement with tmcfarla: doesn't make a huge difference what "brand" you go with. They are all good. There is a difference between various styles of kite - more wave oriented, more low end oriented, jump oriented, wake style oriented etc. You're not going to know what style of kiting is going to appeal to you most at this stage. I also agree that I would buy good used gear, or on sale gear & save money. And ... I agree I wouldn't bother buying a 17m unless you're very heavy - I haven't used anything bigger than a 12m for years.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm in agreement with tmcfarla: doesn't make a huge difference what "brand" you go with. They are all good. There is a difference between various styles of kite - more wave oriented, more low end oriented, jump oriented, wake style oriented etc. You're not going to know what style of kiting is going to appeal to you most at this stage. I also agree that I would buy good used gear, or on sale gear & save money. And ... I agree I wouldn't bother buying a 17m unless you're very heavy - I haven't used anything bigger than a 12m for years.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:22 pm

I'll jump on the "don't buy a big kite" bandwagon. I bought a "lightwind" kite and it turned out to be more of a "big guy in normal wind" kite, which is not for me.

I ride Cabrinha and Naish gear and love both for different reasons. My "most days" kite is a 9m Velocity which is not super different than a Switchblade and my first kite was a 2013 12m switchblade. Both are very stable and the bow kite shape makes for great boosting. Cabrinha also does a great job building a bomb proof beginner kite.

Just get whatever fits your budget though. Also, remember that your kite is only half the equation. I'd rather have 2 boards and 1 kite than 2 kites and 1 board. A 9m Switchblade can almost be a 1 kite quiver if one of your boards has a foil under it ;-)

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OCX
Gear: Airush, Best, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Hell I use a 9m maybe once or twice a H20 season, 13 or 14m is usually the ticket, but you would miss out on the light wind days, Hell if you can get it to fly you can foil, little bit more then you can ride a TT jump!

Always have a big kite in your quiver Just for this!

It should be high aspect to handle gusts and should be highly depowerable the 17m Airush Vantage or Ozone, would be the ticket, we kite to Jump not mow the lawn!

Every kite spot has a sweet size, some spots are steady high wind, or gusty , or steady low wind or gusty. Look for what size/AR is rode the most in your area and pick a brand and size that the is sweet for that wind.

Dont buy complete quivers of one brand and make mix!

You mite what to go for if you want 1 brand for instance, Airush, 17 Vantage and 14 union, 12 and 9 Lithium etc, eg I tend to like smaller grunty kites.

LF kite the Solos 17.5 and 15s are great kites, and NO the new ones Dont flutter! :thumb: Envy's the same little bet more Grunty easy to loop:)

Cabs I have nothing really good to say, all Ive owned way back in the day were shite except the CO2, friends dont like them either. :!:

Mix and match see whats working in your area! :thumb:

kite252
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby kite252 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:56 am

Without reading all of the above here, this is my 2 cents on a quick comparison.

LF- if you are on a budget this will probably be the cheapest option, but I would advise airush or cab over LF. especially the Solo for the big kite. Lot of loose material and flutter with just 1 single strut. Maybe look at closeouts if you are on a budget.

Airush lithium is good, stable, grunty (very grunt) easy relaunch and good all around, but not meant to be as much of a performer as the Cab Sb. I think this is why they came out with the Union replacing the Variel X, which was mean to be more of a competitor with the Switchblade.

Cab, Switchblade will have more range than the lithium and i more predictable feel. Sits farther forward so better upwind as well and more solid frame with 5 vs 3 struts. Probably equal low end as lithium but with better high end it just has better range and overall performance so a bit better all around. for the big kite I haven't ridden the largest size lithuim, but guess fairly similar to contra, 3 strut etc....but i do know the contra is a light wind specific design where the lithium is more of a staple model for airush built up to big sizes. Contra is built as a light wind kite, and after riding it for myself i could tell. Stable, fast (for size) smooth and powerful...check out some reviews, it really is a great light wind machine

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby kjorn » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 am

Buy used. You're going to slam them into the beach a hundred times. Save your money for in a few months time when you can actually fly a kite and ride a board at the same time. You'll have a better idea what kite you want then anyway. Waves? Jumps? Wake? All rounder?

Return to “Kitesurfing”