forum for kitesurfers

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Postby cglazier » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:53 am

Naish makes good line sets comparable to other top brands. I have owned over 20 Naish kites with their lines and never a problem (that wasn't my fault).

A few people still use the stiff linear Q Powerline. It is not stronger than regular hollow braid kite line (I personally ran breaking strength tests on it years ago) and It certainly does weaken when knotted (contrary to their claims). It is rather stiff and it tends to kink so most of us don't like it. You can buy a spool of it and tie your own lines but really you are better off buying a proper sleeved line set from a top company like Naish, North, Ozone etc.

:wink: CG

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Postby alexeyga » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:46 pm

I'd speculate that your lines were or got damaged, at least that's how mines broke - a d@ckhead rode over my lines when I was drift launching and caught both fronts under a fin. The damage was barely noticeable, but the lines gave in pretty fast. As such - Naish lines are adequate, a bit stretchy and on a thin side (at least they were back in 2013 when i've got this bar). The problem with replacing these lines is that whatever you pick up as a replacement - it has to work with the swivel where the holes are rather small.

njrider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005

Postby njrider » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks all for your input. I have spent the last few days mulling over replacement line options. At this point I don't care about price (my life is worth $200) I just want the most reliable lines that I plan to replace every season.

Here is what I got so far. Please let me know what is the strongest/best option:

Q-Powerline Pro - 600#
Q-Powerline - 600#
Jerry Brown Industries - 600#

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:19 pm

nj i know you have been riding for 10 years so I don't mean to point out stuff you already know but I hope you realize that q-powerline will not fit through the safety on a swivel. I mean you can Mcguyver it by that you could run the power line through the swivel make a knot, throw away the elastic line then continue the line past the center of the bar down to the QR loop and loop it there, so you will have your single center flagging line that is longer than all the rest of the lines. If you want to keep the elasticized flag out cord and have equal size lines to make any connection on a q-powerline you will need to make a knot usually a figure 8 loop (that's the strongest loop and q-power line can not be spliced), if you make a figure 8 loop above the swivel when you go to release the q-powerline will not feed through the swivel as the knot will be too big to get through. That is why you do not see sleeved ends near the safety on most control bars. A sleeved end is too thick to fit through the safety system of most modern control bars. Instead what manufacturers do is splice the end near the control bar and only sleeve and loop it near the kite end so that the end near the safety will fit through the swivel. If you run the cored q-power line you are going to have to know how and why to rig your own lines it will not be a simple one for one line replacement you will be replacing and getting rid of that elasticized line. In the past people ran mini-5th Y style control bars these had a short throw of the release maybe a meter or so and it didn't require the 10 or so meters of line going through the center of the bar. Q-powerline is ideal for these sorts of bars. Manufacturers quit making mini-5th style control bars because they weren't compatible with the newer short bridle kite designs. You can buy 800 or 1,000 strength line maybe that's what you want. I have a naish swivel and some 1,000 line I can test it to make sure it fits through the Naish swivel. You might need to replace that swivel if you go with 1,000 pound line. I'm not running the Naish swivel on my "nuking bar" right now I'm running a custom swivel. I normally run 1,000 pound line in the first 10 meters (I splice my own line) and then switch to q-powerline above 10 meters so I can use the regular single line safety for my "nuking" bar. I run 600 pound line on my "light wind" bars. Even though q-powerline is rated at only 600 pounds in real life it seems stronger because it never picks up those little nicks and cuts on the rocks. I also have a feeling it is actually stronger than that rated 600 pounds I think they might be underestimating it a little. I believe the Ruben Lenten replacement lines for the extract bar are 1,112 pounds on the centers. I haven't heard of any stronger rated lines than those. I haven't seen those lines for sale on line you'll probably have to contact a Best distributor to get them.

njrider
Medium Poster

Postby njrider » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:07 pm

EDT..I'm impressed! I never worried to much about gear and spent my time focusing on riding. It looks like my ignorance is over. I just bought a new liquid force bar and lines. Had my last one for 3 years. I'm selling the Naish because I just don't trust it. Back to being ignorant!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:53 am

Did the second line break where you put in the knot to shorten the line?
Also. There is an image with a ton of lines that seems to be a different bar? Did you have the same happen with a cabrinha bar?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:16 am

damn i wasted an essay. good winds nj.

njrider
Medium Poster

Postby njrider » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks all for comments. Many of you (rightly so) suspect that I had some sort of knot in my line. I'm pretty confident that I didn't and have decided to make a rig to test line breaking strength. I will post a video demonstrating what I have done. In any case...my first Naish line broke at 65 lbs (yes you read that right) and a number of other quick tests were in the range of 50 to 100lbs. Some broke at the connection point others broke right in the middle. Needless to say, I will never use this line set to kiteboard again.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:47 pm

This absolutely mystifies me. I've never had any issues with lines on the numerous of naish bars I've owned.

You said you bought the bar new? Something just sounds completely off here.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:22 pm

only to you because it had the Naish name in it. To most of the rest of us it sounds like just another big company with slipping quality control with their gear made in China. Happens more often lately but it happens to them all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”