Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Ride Engine harness review

Postby Yodarocket31 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:43 pm

John-B wrote:Had my first outing on my new Ride Engine the other day, moderately powered 9m weather so thought I’d give a little feedback.
Great review, John-B, thanks for that. Gives a good sense of how a properly sized RE will perfom!

Some reviewers are sharing their RE harness size with a reference to their general body type (athletic, beer gut, medium-ish), jeans size (these can vary greatly by brand), or height + weight. I am guessing that not everyone that weighs 150lbs would wear the same harness, right?

The RE website suggests taking a TRUE measurement at the belly button. It might be helpful to know what people actually measure when they share the harness size that is working out for them?

I wear size 32 jeans, but my TRUE measured waist size at my belt line is actually 34 inches. At belly button it measures 35 inches. Can anyone with these dimensions share their RE harness + spreader bar size? And maybe what they normally wear at their local spot and if their RE harness can accommodate a range of wetsuits etc? Where I live I kite with trunks (summer) all the way through a 5/4 and drysuit (winter).

Would love to try one on in person, but no local shops carry them. I'm pretty sold on getting into one of these but they're not cheap. Anyone willing to offer some additional sizing info would be great!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm a perfect harness donkey for you Yoda. Weigh 175 lbs. 32 jeans, 34 at the belly button unless I am in front of women! Santa is treating me to a med hex core with 10 inch spreader. Also has to work from boardshorts all the way up to winter wear. His elves work at Kinek and just emailed me saying it's arrived so will be making a drive tomorrow. Will let you know.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Sherman Island, CA

Postby Yodarocket31 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Starsky wrote:I'm a perfect harness donkey for you Yoda. Weigh 175 lbs. 32 jeans, 34 at the belly button unless I am in front of women! Santa is treating me to a med hex core with 10 inch spreader. Also has to work from boardshorts all the way up to winter wear. His elves work at Kinek and just emailed me saying it's arrived so will be making a drive tomorrow. Will let you know.
Hey thanks Starsky! Would love to hear how it goes. Sounds like we are similar build, though I clock in at 190. Not sure where I am packing the extra ballast...

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Rogue Wave, Switch, Windwing, Ozone, Fone
Brand Affiliation: Brands that are fun to ride

Postby Xtream » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:10 pm

John-B,
Nice Review, what spreader bar did you use the rope or fixed hook?
X
John-B wrote:Had my first outing on my new Ride Engine the other day, moderately powered 9m weather so thought I’d give a little feedback.

First things first you definitely need to size up from what you’d normally get in a standard harness. I’m narrow hipped and take a 32” waist in jeans with usually some room to spare and all my harnesses have been small. My last other harness was a NP Surf Flash in small and I have this pulled about as tight as it would go. When I tried a small RE it would fit OK with just a t-shirt, but when it came to wetsuit and one of those Mystic wind hoodies it was at it’s limits and this is pre Xmas bloat! The size I have settled on is a medium with a 10” bar as this seem to give the best fit to prevent the ‘squeeze’!

So out and moderately powered on my 9m for three hours non-stop riding and I can report it works exactly as advertised. Once you size it right and put it on it just won’t budge. It literally sucked to the small of my back and stayed put with zero movement. This was very weird at first as I had grown to prefer a really minimalistic and flexible harness – primarily to allow me freedom of movement. However, this meant the harness would move – not as in spin but it would flex with me i.e. when I jumped and boned out a grab with a twist the harness would conform. The RE just wouldn’t do this and simply stays fixed which meant a little adjustment to my technique.

Now it might seem like a juxtaposition going from a super soft flexible harness to one that is moulded with a hard shell? However, the RE is just so small that it allows me the same if not more freedom of movement plus other benefits, with the main one being absolutely no ‘squeeze’. What I mean by this, and until you try the RE it is hard to really imagine properly, is that when you are powered the pull through the spreader bar will still allow the harness to compress at the sides and pull through the back to squeeze you. Actually think about the term spreader bar – it spreads the load from the kite across its width, but beyond this no matter how much thermoformed x-bracing or whatever in the shell - the amount of force through it is going to compress it. On the RE the shell and the spreader bar sort of create... a halo around you and instead of the kite pulling through you it is wrapped around and pulls the whole of you.

This ability to deliver and spread the force around you somehow manages to free you up and the steering response of the kite feels different – a bit like having power steering. It also allows you to engage your core and lower body in a different way as you are no longer having to counteract the compression forces. Normally after a session I’d not be able to do any abdominal work when training for a few days – the day after I never managed a full set, but about half and that is a half more than I’ve been able to do previously. It also really hugs your back in a nice way – you are aware there is something stiff there, but in a positive way and you can properly lean into it.

So there you have it – a harness that somehow provides power steering for your kite with added comfort for your back and core thrown in. If you can’t get your head around how different it is then you need to try it... worth the extra spend, yep in my book it was for sure.

Cheers to the guys at Ride Engine UK and FC Watersports for the advice - if you need help with sizing then get in touch with them as they were on the money with me.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flitt 17
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12
Ocean Rodeo Flite 8
Ocean Rodeo Maco 140
Progressive Phish 146
Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby randycasburn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:16 pm

Yodarocket31 wrote:Anyone willing to offer some additional sizing info would be great!
Hey Yoda - we're size bros - I have about a dozen sessions on my RE with 10" spreader. Bottom line: I'm unsure if I want to continue with the 10" spreader or go to the 8" - but the RE is my go-to harness.

I've used it with shorts, wetsuit & just recently with my drysuit. It does not ride up. But when boosting, the spreader bar pad does pull up into the bottom of my rib cage. This creates a sore spot on each side at the base of my ribs. One of the recommendations (from this thread) is to go down to the 8" spreader. My call to RE echo'd this if the 10" bar does work.

My goal is to reduce the sore spots so they are less significant. I think the 8" bar might be the answer, but I'm just not sure after only one session with the 8" bar. I need to try the 8" again.

We don't have any wind here for three more days. I'll try the 8" bar (if I can get it) and will let you know the outcome.

edit: I didin't mention size: doh! I wear a large.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Sherman Island, CA

Postby Yodarocket31 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:28 pm

randycasburn wrote: edit: I didin't mention size: doh! I wear a large.
Hey randy, thanks for the helpful post. According to RE's size chart (listed with each harness product page if you scroll down), you and I would both be a Med. with 10" bar.

Maybe Large + 8" bar is comparable? Did you happen to try that size combo (Med.+10") on before going with the Large +8"?

Or maybe you went with the Large b/c that's what you've normally worn with other harnesses?

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flitt 17
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12
Ocean Rodeo Flite 8
Ocean Rodeo Maco 140
Progressive Phish 146
Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby randycasburn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Yodarocket31 wrote:
randycasburn wrote: edit: I didin't mention size: doh! I wear a large.
Hey randy, thanks for the helpful post. According to RE's size chart (listed with each harness product page if you scroll down), you and I would both be a Med. with 10" bar.

Maybe Large + 8" bar is comparable? Did you happen to try that size combo (Med.+10") on before going with the Large +8"?

Or maybe you went with the Large b/c that's what you've normally worn with other harnesses?
Yeah - I'm just a bit bigger that you (measured at the belly button as required on the site). I think that's the problem really. I'm @ the size boundary of med and lg. I went with the large because of wetsuit adding just enough to make me a real large (and because I love to eat!). RE also recommended the large for me.

Sizes are not comparable with different spreader bars. I did try the med+10" and it seemed small to me. So then I called RE - then purchased the lg + 10" with a fallback plan to go to the 8" bar.

Keep the questions coming.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire/Tomo, Loyd, Ion

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:16 am

John-B wrote:First things first you definitely need to size up from what you’d normally get in a standard harness. I’m narrow hipped and take a 32” waist in jeans with usually some room to spare and all my harnesses have been small.
I encountered the the exact opposite on the sizing and would definitely need to downsize. I'm a 31" pant and 30" boardshort (bellybutton measures at 31"). I currently use the Ion Apex harness in size small (28"-31").

I tried on the RE in size small with the 8" spreader. I tried it on over my 5/3 wetsuit and my Soul drysuit. I was maxed out on the webbing adjustments. Even if it did fit, I felt the 8" bar width did not offer enough slide distance and would much prefer the 10" spreader bar. Unfortunately for me, fitting the small size harness with the 10" bar is simply not an option.
I contacted RE and they informed me that an XS size is coming available next year. They think that an XS with the 10" bar should be the answer. I fully agree.
RE did say that if I wanted to modify the webbing for more adjustment range, the plastic tube can be cut down to increase the range, but they couldn't confirm if that would address the fitting issue. It also doesn't change the fact that the 8" bar is too narrow for my preference, so I'm going to have to wait till next year. :(

John-B
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:53 am

I used the 10" fixed bar and I'm pretty much a 32" round the middle - narrow hipped, short trunk and a 46" chest so I'm very much triangle shaped at the back.

As I said I could fit the small, but now trying the medium with the 10" bar (I was going to get an 8") I feel that it needs to fit 'right' - previously this would have been as tight as I could possible cinch other harness down and then they'd still move.

However with the RE you want it to basically encapsulate you as the design means it won't move and it will transfer and spread the pulling force of the kite around your body - it needs to be snug, but as it won't conform it doesn't need to be super tight. You need to approach it a bit differently.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:16 am

Got mine.... Med w/ both spreader bars in 10". Again, I'm a 32 jeans, 32 flexed to 34 slack at the belly button and otherwise built like a roman god. Dry fit feels good from skin all the way up to winter wear. Might get a day on it in water tomorrow.

I opened up the closed end of both spreaders a tiny bit. Just enough to allow popping out the PU tube without having to go through the hassle of undoing the webbing completely from its buckle and sliding the PU tube out the end when swapping. Still has more than enough friction fit to be secure. Pretty sweet to swap spreaders quick and easy without altering fit!

Return to “Kitesurfing”