Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best inexpensive drysuit?

forum for kitesurfers

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Best inexpensive drysuit?

Postby laz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:10 pm

What is a good inexpensive drysuit? Nothing fancy but that does the job. Anything on sale right now? Do not want a used suit. Thanks

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, King Gee,
Mako Duke.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best inexpensive drysuit?

Postby matth » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Heat is a good deal for 599$ . That's not exactly cheap, but you are getting a high end, proven suit. I used mine for the first time last week and loved it..

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:38 am

I have a slightly used (5-6 sessions) oniel boost I'll sell you. It works well enough,if you don't do a lot of full on ass busting. 150 bucks.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:55 am

Check out the Kokatat Hydrus 3L on outdoorplay.com. Use coupon code GEN15 for 15% off, total will be around $458. Lifetime warranty.

I got one almost two years ago as it was the least expensive option. Has good reviews on the windsurf forum. I have no complaints. I do wish it had socks. Kokatat quoted me around $160 to get the socks installed with the factory warranty. The lifetime warranty was a big reason I went with Kokatat. These things are glued and like it or not the glue will come apart at some point. I usually wear in impact vest or a neoprene jacket over it for extra warmth and zipper protection.

madworld
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw away.

Postby madworld » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:03 am

Find the best suit for your needs, then look for a sale.

Do not rush into this purchase.

Ocean Rodeo makes very good dry suits.

https://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/heat

Make sure you know the difference between a bag dry suit and neoprene dry suit.

Do some searches on on line.

Maintenance is more involved.

Apply 303 protectant to the seals once a month, your goal is to protect the ankle, neck, wrist gaskets from drying out, cracking, and turning to a gooey mess.

Ozone and oils will eat them up.

Do not use baby powder, it will melt your gaskets. Baby powder has fragrance chemicals that will melt the silicon gaskets.

It is OK to use unscented pure talc that you can order in bulk on eBay to help slip in and out of the gaskets in high humidity conditions, but the silicon products should be slippery enough.

Also make sure your toe and finger nails are well trimmed.

Keep your sunscreen off the gaskets.

Other products that are OK for dry suit gasket maintenance.

Mcnett Seal Saver is a discontinued product but still available, it has been replaced with.

https://www.mcnett.com/m-essentials/uv-tech#22798 by M essenstials UV Tech™, same company.

that said Mcnett seal saver was just 100 percent food grade silicon, and Trident brand food grade silicon sold at many dive shops is just as good. The 303 protectant brand has a propriety formula and seems to be working better than Mcnett seal saver or trident in my experience.

I have not tried the new m essenstials UV tech.

Olas!
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: 12m Flite

Postby Olas! » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:14 am

I agree with the above - cheap, leaky gear is a pain. I've went the cheaper route in the past for whitewater kayaking and regretted it.

Really love my ocean rodeo soul and did a video review below. During a solo session on Tuesday I was very grateful for the relief zipper - probably too much morning coffee! I know from kayaking that kokatat also makes a super high quality product as well. If you stick to those two brands and pick the features you want you won't go wrong.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2385506

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:33 am

I've has an Ossystems Splash B for 10 years or more. Great suit, not expensive, comfortable and a great purchase.

madworld
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw away.

Postby madworld » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:56 am

loco4viento wrote:I've has an Ossystems Splash B for 10 years or more. Great suit, not expensive, comfortable and a great purchase.

The 2011 retail price of this dry suit is $710 according to the manufacturers website and it is made of non breathable fabric. You probably payed a lot less ten years ago.

The website pricing is out of date. wonder if they are still in business.

No longer a deal being non breathable material.

OCEAN RODEO HEAT IS $599 retail. And made from breathable material.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:18 am

Mine was $360 or so back in the day, non breathable and with a nice front zip. I saw an Ossystems basic non breathable suit for $336 on feldfire.com (rear zip) which seemed to fit the bill for the guy looking for an inexpensive drysuit. Just a thought; everyone has different taste. But if inexpensive is important then this might be worth a look. Several friends have Ossystems suits and we have all had good satisfaction with their products. If I were looking again I would consider it.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:20 am

madworld wrote: OCEAN RODEO HEAT IS $599 retail. And made from breathable material.
Sounds like a nice deal for a breathable suit

Return to “Kitesurfing”