Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Going back to C-Kites. SLEs are inferior for freestyle

Postby Osprey1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:17 am

I've been kiting for 10 years now and spent the first 4 years riding true C-kites like the R4, Fuel and Vegas. After trying many different SLEs over the years, even those targeted at freestyle, there simply is no substitute for a true C kite when unhooking, mega-looping or boosting. Unless you're into hooked wave riding, racing or foiling I cannot see any advantage to an SLE period. The newer C kites which now have massive depower like the Vegas, Switch Legacy, Torch, etc. are just so much more fun to ride. They ride 'firm', turn fast, give massive unhooked slack and pop like hell and that's why I'm going back. SLE's had their day, but nothing beats a true C. :thumb:

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Re: Going back to C-Kites. SLEs are inferior for freestyle

Postby slim_charles » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 am

Osprey1 wrote:I've been kiting for 10 years now and spent the first 4 years riding true C-kites like the R4, Fuel and Vegas. After trying many different SLEs over the years, even those targeted at freestyle, there simply is no substitute for a true C kite when unhooking, mega-looping or boosting. Unless you're into hooked wave riding, racing or foiling I cannot see any advantage to an SLE period. The newer C kites which now have massive depower like the Vegas, Switch Legacy, Torch, etc. are just so much more fun to ride. They ride 'firm', turn fast, give massive unhooked slack and pop like hell and that's why I'm going back. SLE's had their day, but nothing beats a true C. :thumb:
:thumb: ....regarding kite sales they must be praying the kooks don't realise this!

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:58 am

slim_charles wrote: ....regarding kite sales they must be praying the kooks don't realise this!
Yeah man, all them kooky kooks kookin' out on their barney SLE kook kites. They'll never know how kool us rad C-Bros are brah.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:30 pm

I consider the vegas to be a "SLE" kite???? And of course the " STE" hadlow option.

Mxwllms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: PNW
Style: Kiteboarding
Gear: Torches
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mxwllms » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:35 pm

C kites with a tensioned 5th line are technically SLE kites. I ride torches and they will not fly properly without a supported leading edge. I learned on 2001 fuels and just don't like the feeling of bridal kites so I stick with c's but bow kites definately have their place and people like them for good reasons. The newer C kites are so user friendly I comftorably taught my girlfriend on them without any problems and she scares easily. they are definately not just for experienced riders these days.

Wedge has it right... Kids see that I ride boots and c kites and try to "bro out" with me. :roll: Maybe I should give bow kites and straps another chance so I don't have to learn modern lingo

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:04 pm

wedge wrote:
slim_charles wrote: ....regarding kite sales they must be praying the kooks don't realise this!
Yeah man, all them kooky kooks kookin' out on their barney SLE kook kites. They'll never know how kool us rad C-Bros are brah.
lmao...too funny. Subjective anecdotal evidence is a powerful prophylactic against logic.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:02 pm

fine! i'm not in the figure skating, synchronize swimming and ballet! all of those who are can easily recognize each other by flying c-kites now...

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:12 pm

I learned on a bow kite, quickly moved to a SLE freestyle kite (rpm) and rode SLE freestyle kites for a couple of years after that. Now it's my first year on a C (best gp) and I love it. The direct feeling, looping power, slack are very superior to any other kite I've flown. It even has more hang time than most of my previous SLE freestyle kites which came as a big surprise to me.

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:47 pm

2008 is calling.. It wants its forum thread back...

Mad_dan
Medium Poster
Style: Bigair and airstyle
Gear: Core XR4 13.5
Core GTS3 11m
Core GTS4 9m
Core XR 6m
Tronic.
Naish mega
Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer

Postby Mad_dan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:05 am

First time on a C-kite this year, Core GTS2 and i love it. My favorite kite so far!
And I consider my self more of a freerider then a wakestyle/freestyler.

Return to “Kitesurfing”