Favorite Beaches: Oahu ....so far
Style: goofy
Gear: none yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Old newbie with a few questions

Postby Pipes3395 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Cheers from Chicago,,, Any old new guys in the forum ? I'm 49 yrs old . Active my whole life but riddled with sports and racing injuries . 4 shoulder ops, broken ribs, broken fingers , had left foot partially amputated and reattached , other various injuries. Overall i can go pretty good . However my question is more with edge control when turning , Im a regular stance and my left ankle is in a locked position . I have snowboard and skateboard experience ( but not since my racing accident). What problems do you anticipate me having before i jump into this amazing sport ?? Am i too old for this ?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Re: Old newbie with a few questions

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi pipes, most of us are 40+. Welcome to the sport asylum. :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:46 pm

too old? never!

oldest one was 88 !!!!

Welcome!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:49 pm

Not too old but I would be careful not to complicate existing injuries in a significant fashion. I would hook up with the best instructor you can find, explain what you've been through and the injuries you have come away with and take things slowly if he feels it is a good move for you. Your ability to make rapid control inputs may or may not be compromised depending on how your upper torso recovered from all of those injuries. If indicated, I would go with shorter sessions, smaller kites, perhaps strapless boards although I am not sure how well that would work with an immobilized ankle, calmer water, lighter winds and see how things go. It is easy to aggravate existing injuries as you know. The goal is to have fun without messing yourself up, too much. Good luck.

p.s. - how long can you tread water at this point with your injuries? I would wear an appropriate flotation aid for the demands of kiting in any case.
Pipes3395 wrote:Cheers from Chicago,,, Any old new guys in the forum ? I'm 49 yrs old . Active my whole life but riddled with sports and racing injuries . 4 shoulder ops, broken ribs, broken fingers , had left foot partially amputated and reattached , other various injuries. Overall i can go pretty good . However my question is more with edge control when turning , Im a regular stance and my left ankle is in a locked position . I have snowboard and skateboard experience ( but not since my racing accident). What problems do you anticipate me having before i jump into this amazing sport ?? Am i too old for this ?

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:16 pm

In this sport you can fairly control the extreme end.
Water is generally softer than icy snow, trees and rocks. 8)
13 years of kiteing, started at 50, no major issues.
If you follow the recommendations on the safety thread above and refrain from doing kid's tricks, you might survive :wink:
Ahh.. and before you start, be sure that you get lessons with thorough safety theory and practice.
Also use a seat harness [not waist] - less load on your back.

Notwithstanding the above, the sport is strongly recommended for ol' farts. :coolshades:
You can verify this by checking on the age statistics of forum members that participated in these polls:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2359454&start=60&hilit=old+poll
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389496&start=10&hilit=old+poll

The poll is not rock science, but you can appreciate that many elders practice kitesurfing.

Enjoy :thumb:

Pipes3395
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Chicago
Favorite Beaches: Oahu ....so far
Style: goofy
Gear: none yet

Postby Pipes3395 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:06 am

Thanks for the speedy replies and great info. As far as treading water, i haven't had trouble yet , just got back from Oahu and I faired pretty well just playing in the surf. As for what I'm expecting out of this sport is just to cruise , carve, and have fun. I definitely know my limits .

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:42 am

Pipes3395 wrote:Thanks for the speedy replies and great info. As far as treading water, i haven't had trouble yet , just got back from Oahu and I faired pretty well just playing in the surf. As for what I'm expecting out of this sport is just to cruise , carve, and have fun. I definitely know my limits .

Just so you know

most of us said that same thing and then as time goes by and you get a bit better

it turns out not to be really true, have fun, be careful and if you have to choose between the two
have fun

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot

Postby saildawg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:43 am

58, 2 major back surgeries, shoulder rebuilt, elbow rebuilt, brain..well that's another story :lol: I've kited with 9 yr olds and an 82 yr old.
Pace yourself and enjoy!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:50 am

I started at age 50, ten years ago, still going strong, but with far fewer injuries than you. Agree with seat harness recommendation. Also recommend learning at cape hatteras. Get on the Chicago kitesurfing forum, although it is less active these days. Bob from Madison runs two week kiting trips out there spring and fall.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Lessons, new gear, enough kites ( 3) to cover wind range. Get a flexy kiteboard with rounded outline. Don't be persuaded to get a stiff and square Tt.

Do some burbee's, situps, kickups, and such asap to get some core strength.

I spent 10 + years kiting with seat harness and it's no doubt easiest to start that way. But recently got an Engine Harness and find my hips and knees feel better now.
Seat put a lot of pressure on outside of hip and Top of thigh bone.
I'm soon 56 and started at 42. Still skateboarding in bowls, snowboarding, riding road and mtb cycles , kiting 60 sessions a year.
Skateboards are toughest by far.
You can do it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”