kooshball
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Brand Affiliation: None

Wetsuits and windchill?

Postby kooshball » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:03 pm

It seems no matter how much rubber I have on, if it isn't sunny then I get cold. Aside from wearing a dry suit, are there certain brands/ models of wetsuits more suited to kiteboarding than others?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Re: Wetsuits and windchill?

Postby alamos_kiter » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm using forever a dingy wetsuit for kiting, instead of the surfing wetty. Dinghy suits are made for exactly that: being out of the water & in the wind.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium, 12m Flite. Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, King Gee,
Mako Duke

Postby matth » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:31 pm

I wear a drysuit in the colder months myself, but lots of friends that wear wetsuits and ride in very cold conditions swear by XL Drylocks..

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:54 am

Drop in the drink and get some water in there every 20 minutes or it will all drain out the suit and not keep you warm no matter how much rubber your wearing.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 am

Not sure about that advice. Most wetsuits put a lot of effort into their fleece/wool/polypro linings to create airspace. Most insulation is about airspace. Newer neoprene is full of bubbles. filling airspace with water.... cold water will facilitate body heat transfer to the outer of the suit where the windchill will remove it. Nylon fabric outer has a lot more surface area for evaporation and retains a lot more water ....... fuel for evaporation.... loads more windchill.

Even my Ocean Rodeo surf drysuit suffers from significant wind chill. You instantly warm up when you crack the seal at the end of the session because you separate the cold wet outer from yourself by another bunch of air.

Wind chill is a huge factor for kiters. The only way to mitigate it is a smooth dry surface. There are hydrophobic coating for fabric like the Victory stuff, but it doesn't last. Up until now smooth skin wetsuits are basically Single lined neoprene where it only has a nylon jersey lining bonded to the inside and the outside is simply the rubber with a sealed finish. Patagonia have a novel idea I hope catches on. They have coated the outer surface of double lined neoprene so you get the improved windchill resistance of smooth skin without sacrificing the durability.

It's on this suit:

http://www.realwatersports.com/patagoni ... suit-black

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:59 am

Totally disagree.

A wide majority of wetsuits are made with neoprene - now while neoprene does have air bubbles within the material it is not porous. In fact, the whole theory behind wetsuits is they are designed to seal and contain a layer of water that acts as the main insulator. Without this water boundary its not a wetsuit. As a scuba diver I would regularly bring a hot quart of water to pour down my suit when the water was chilly. Some suit designers manufacture suits that are 'pre-crushed' so that the neoprene does not compress at depth. Regardless of all the cloth and polypro bells and whistles a wetsuit is just that - a 'wet suit' so keep it wet.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innova ... -video.htm
Last edited by NYKiter on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:11 am

That might have been the idea back in the 60's when suits could not keep water out, but wetsuits are like phones. They are different than they used to be.

Water is a much more efficient heat transmitter than air. Or you can say a gas is a better insulator than a liquid. Scuba is different. Pressure will compress an airspace to almost nothing and make it ineffective, there is none of that in a surf suit that stays more or less at the surface. There is also no evaporative loss underwater. The full on winter suits have thicker pile wool layers to hold more air, and wick water away front contacting skin. They keep you plenty warm if you don't fall in and are sealed so well you can fall in a dozen times and the inside torso of the suit is dry when you take it off by design.
Last edited by Starsky on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:19 am

Nope - your confused with drysuits.

Drysuits are utilized in combination with a wicking undergarment that moves moisture away from the skin. They are designed with waterproof zippers and do not allow any water to infiltrate the suit.

Wetsuits are designed to be wet, the zippers are not waterproof. The whole idea is to keep water in contact with the skin and not wick it away...there is no where to wick it to...its all wet. Im done arguing about a suit designed to be wet.

Take a break and pour some hot water in it....or take a leak, either way its wet.
Last edited by NYKiter on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 am

And dry suits are warmer than wetsuits.

So wetsuits that stay dryer inside are also warmer than wetsuits that get wetter inside.

I've said all my points and think it unlikely you can be convinced. It's fine to disagree. I'll leave it to others for additional input.

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf

Postby yojimbo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 am

koosball, can you tell us where you are kiting and what wetsuit/s you are using?

Return to “Kitesurfing”