Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Alternative kites to use with Mutiny 5 line bar

forum for kitesurfers

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Alternative kites to use with Mutiny 5 line bar

Postby Noo Noo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Been riding Mutiny P Series kites 12m and 8m (2nd Gen) for a little while now and really like them and the bar system. Feels like a really good match for my riding style etc. I'm sticking with them but it sadly seems that Mutiny have pretty much fallen off the planet with the two main guys off doing other things.

Looking at my current quiver I need to add to it with a 6m. I've been right at the top end on the 8m a couple of time now to the point where the kite still flies really well but the performance drops off a fair chunk. It's basically outside its sweet spot.

In addition, thinking ahead my kites wont last forever and I'm guessing that they wont outlast my bars either so at some point I'l be looking for alternatives. I regularly look round for any 2nd had kites on the market but they're pretty rare here in the UK.

So what alternatives are out there that are firstly similar in performance, style and feel and I can still use the Mutiny bar with?

Zen_Rider
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Alternative kites to use with Mutiny 5 line bar

Postby Zen_Rider » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:38 pm

I also ride P-Series, but my brother flies North Vegas's. He had a broken line on holiday and I leant him my spare mutiny bar, which seemed to work fine. Ive flown his Vegas's a few times and they feel very similar to the P-Series. Not sure thats changed now Hadlow is on the label... his are 2-4 years old.

I hear Oli is working for Dyson these days.... Big shame they stopped pushing as I felt there was some real momentum building behind the brand.

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 pm

Cheers for the reply. A little surprised that the Vegas works on the Mutiny bar as the North Bar has the high Y set up. Worth a further look I guess.

Also wondering if the Best GP's would work. Are there any other options I wonder

Yes I'd heard that one of the Mutiny guys works for Dyson while the other is working for a firm looking at electricity generation through kites. Shame as you say, Quality kites in my opinion. I don't know if it was due to financial issues or not. End of the day they've probably got families to support and bills to pay.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Probably most C kites. Slingshot, Wainman, Airush, Switch, Best, all have low Y C kites that do well with or even need a 5th line.

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Starsky wrote:Probably most C kites. Slingshot, Wainman, Airush, Switch, Best, all have low Y C kites that do well with or even need a 5th line.
true but they all have a different feel I guess. For example a Naish Torch is a pretty different beast I think but I'm not sure as I've never had the chance to try them.

Any suggestions on which are close relatives to the Mutiny P Series? So far I have the Vegas but I'm a little surprised that it would work on a bar with a low Y.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:15 pm

Noo Noo wrote:I regularly look round for any 2nd had kites on the market but they're pretty rare here in the UK.
Do you check the Facebook group "KiteBay - Secondhand Kitesurf Listings" ? They have a bunch of stuff on there, there was a Mutiny up last week, it was an 8 though.

Most annoying thing about the Mutiny is the sizing of the P series, I have a 12 and would like a 9 and 7, but they don't do either size. Dumb really.

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:14 pm

kjorn wrote:
Noo Noo wrote:I regularly look round for any 2nd had kites on the market but they're pretty rare here in the UK.
Do you check the Facebook group "KiteBay - Secondhand Kitesurf Listings" ? They have a bunch of stuff on there, there was a Mutiny up last week, it was an 8 though.

Most annoying thing about the Mutiny is the sizing of the P series, I have a 12 and would like a 9 and 7, but they don't do either size. Dumb really.
Yes I regularly keep an eye on the UK Kitebay as well as other sources. While they do come up they're pretty rare especially since I'm really only after a 6m immediately.

Agree the sizing on the smaller sizes can be a little frustrating. A 7m would probably suit me better which would probably lead to a 12, 9, 7 quiver. I do like the 8m a lot though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”