Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Don't show us your hook

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:35 pm

bri7 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 pm
From a cost point for people riding both twin and surf style , so a bit of both at the harness systems would be more cost effective than at the bar. Currently just alternating a standard pad and hook with a jay bar pad set up. Can see the point of running a dedicated surf bar if that's the sole focus of your riding.
Absolutely. Way more convenient than messing with you bar. I swap the spreader bars on a Ride Engine harness between wave and standard hook. Having a couple bars for each is ideal.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 3
Local Beach: altona
Favorite Beaches: pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: NRG 2014, Ride , REO,

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:35 am

I used a spare ozone depower rope. I thread one end and connected the other end with a figure 8 knots. I think I am done with the replacement of the chicken loop. It is very close and is very smooth when it slides. I have a few crash and the rope stay on the ring. Today the wind was 25 gusting to 30 knots.

cheers
final mod.PNG
final mod close up.PNG

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: wave
Gear: blade

Postby alfredo68 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:46 pm

image1-4.JPG
Kept it simple, works great for me. any advice for this?

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm really confused why people are so hanged on rope [solution; pun intended]. I have stainless steel O ring over aluminum rod, which is 10mm in diameter, essentially the aluminum version of
https://321kiteboarding.com/collections ... rowave-rod
After a session with one unintentional, gone violent kite loop I noticed slight wear dents. With such experience I'd expect you would have to replace rope every 10 sessions or so. Also, keep in mind that your nylon rope may be rated 1000 lbs, but at this angle the kite pull is levered and augmented perhaps as much as 10x.

Therefore, why metallic rods are so unpopular? Friction is something very easy to add, for instance alum against steel slides not as eagerly as steel vs steel. Also a rubber cord can be added to keep the O ring centered. The bonus for solving this little problem is that you have some sturdy attachment point, which don't have even slightest tendency to loosen up.
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:04 am

If you like a rod better than a line I would say you may well be confused. Maybe its a feel thing. Are you using it with a surfboard or TT? What kites?

Consensus is in on this one, but if your really into it, I bet you could upgrade that version you made with a J version. I bet they have a few boxes of those rods that strangely no one has bought.

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:51 pm

I haven't been riding TT for year and a half (strapless SB and foil, recently), so appreciate any convenience to toeside. However, this is not only about the feeling. One solution is clearly better engineered than the other, and that's the point I'm trying to make.

What about you, did you try rod+bungee to compare or just rely on word of mouth?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:13 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Therefore, why metallic rods are so unpopular?
Dynemma is stronger than your alum tube, metal is heavier, harder to fabricate/ repair, one more thing to put a ding in your surfboard, not as malleable.

How many more reasons do you need?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Tried the very first J bar at our beach for about 10 min and it was terrible. Had this little spot for the hook to sit in the middle and it was abrupt and strange feeling when it jumped from that spot and simply felt awkward while on the rail as it never stayed put and movement at the hips made for a sloppy feel at the bar. I heard it failed on the guy later that season and he had to go with a rope slider. Have made many over the past few years. All of them clean simple and robust. Now riding a simple central pivot for wave and foil. Still use a standard hook for TT.

No one is using nylon for their slider rope! Polyethylene is not polyamide. Then again your using a hollow aluminum bar as your slider?? so not really sure why Im even bothering. Hasn't it dented already from a yank?? Sorry mate, Appropriate line and low friction ring is the simplest sturdiest, well vetted system. Even the company who brought the solid metal slider to market has abandoned it. As far as taking cues from others out there, If this is the kind of stuff your riding.... lets just say your not going to get a lot of converts.
bar2.jpg
bar2.jpg (61.63 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Ill take my cues from guys like this:
FoilFuture.jpg

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Postby rynhardt » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:49 pm
I'm really confused why people are so hanged on rope [solution; pun intended]. I have stainless steel O ring over aluminum rod, which is 10cm in diameter, essentially the aluminum version of
https://321kiteboarding.com/collections ... rowave-rod
After a session with one unintentional, gone violent kite loop I noticed slight wear dents. With such experience I'd expect you would have to replace rope every 10 sessions or so. Also, keep in mind that your nylon rope may be rated 1000 lbs, but at this angle the kite pull is levered and augmented perhaps as much as 10x.
You may find that some further research would clear up the confusion.
10mm Amsteel has a breaking strain of about 10 000 kg. I don't think anyone uses anything smaller.
Aluminium has serious fatigue issues. Nobody uses it.
10cm diameter? Wow.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm
10mm Amsteel has a breaking strain of about 10 000 kg. I don't think anyone uses anything smaller.
Does anyone use Amsteel/Dyneema as thick as 10mm when kitesurfing? :?:

Return to “Kitesurfing”