Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Sector

Forum for kitesurfers
WindS4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bayley Beach, Calf Pasture,
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks
Style: freeride
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun, SS dwarfcraft Foil, Naish Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush Sector

Postby WindS4 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Hey There,
Does anyone know if Airush plans to update the Sector V6? It appears that new designs come out in January...and a lot of spots have them on sale now...Just curious if its worth a wait. Secondly, what competitor makes a similar light wind board that I might consider? Im looking for light wind performance and speed more than wave shapes, as Im surrounded by flatwater. I have big twin tips, looking for something different. Thanks in advance.

TPink
Medium Poster

Re: Airush Sector

Postby TPink » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:26 pm

WindS4 wrote:Hey There,
Does anyone know if Airush plans to update the Sector V6? It appears that new designs come out in January...and a lot of spots have them on sale now...Just curious if its worth a wait. Secondly, what competitor makes a similar light wind board that I might consider? Im looking for light wind performance and speed more than wave shapes, as Im surrounded by flatwater. I have big twin tips, looking for something different. Thanks in advance.
nothing beats a foil for light wind flat water...

Get one! you could mount it to your older sector!

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:03 am

Cabrinha has the Alias which is very similar to the Sector. Don't think anyone else has a production freeride/race board anymore. RRD and North used to have similar boards but looks like they're only making full on race boards now.

I have a Sector and a foil. The foil beats the Sector hands down in light wind but the feeling between the two types of riding is extremely different. I enjoy the planing sensation a lot more than the foiling sensation.

WindS4
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks

Postby WindS4 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:10 am

Yes, the Foil is hands down winner for light wind, but we also have big tides here on the east coast, and we are often in 1-2 feet of water, so a foil is simply to long, and requires more water.
I saw Naish used to make a similar board, the Naish Venturi...but that seems to have only lasted a year as well...Any notable difference in Sector v5 & v6? Thanks

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:29 am

The SS Naish Venturi has been purchased by the U.S. Navy for use as a helo carrier after spending 3 years docked in the Real board loft. A heavy lift vessel is en route to relocate it to Naval Station Norfolk, pending completion of dredging operations to permit transit of Oregon Inlet.

In other words I highly recommend any old sector, paipo, or skimboard instead. Or you could have someone glass a nose wheel into the Venturi to make it easier to maneuver down your local boat ramp :naughty:

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:28 am

There's very little difference between the V5 and V6 besides colour. However for V6 im pretty sure they removed the two rear strap option, which you have the option to have a single or dual strap on the V5. I love the V5, the tri fin is way better than the older quad fin setups. Very fun, very fast.

If you can find a Monaro Slalom 58 or 65, that may be another option if you're looking for speed. I have not ridden one tho.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:59 pm

The V6 60 does still have the two rear strap option, but year, not much changed from the V5. I tried to ask Airush about a new Sector (as we are a dealer), but got no response. Of course, the hydrofoil market has taken a big chunk of the light wind board sales. Only those with shallow water or who don't want to go through the learning curve stayed with Sectors it seems. And Airush had started promos on a hydrofoil about a year ago, but the latest I heard was that was 6 or more months away.

- Stafford
www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:09 pm

I enjoy the planing sensation a lot more than the foiling sensation
Could you elaborate on that? It seems to me that the whole point of water sports is ... well, the water! Interacting with the infinitely variable surface. I haven't foiled myself & would be interested to try it, but I have this suspicion that once the initial challenge of learning & the novelty of the sensation wears off, it it will just be a "mowing the lawn" experience.

WindS4
Rare Poster

Postby WindS4 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:26 pm

BWD wrote:The SS Naish Venturi has been purchased by the U.S. Navy for use as a helo carrier after spending 3 years docked in the Real board loft. A heavy lift vessel is en route to relocate it to Naval Station Norfolk, pending completion of dredging operations to permit transit of Oregon Inlet.

In other words I highly recommend any old sector, paipo, or skimboard instead. Or you could have someone glass a nose wheel into the Venturi to make it easier to maneuver down your local boat ramp :naughty:

Ha! Love the reference and exactly what I'd like to avoid, a heavy heavy board. Which brings me to the next question...the 54 or the 60? I weight 165-170. 15M kite is used for 85% of our riding around here, shallow flat water. It would be nice to only pump a 12M with a sector...Been riding 10 years,.. will the 54 suffice, or should I opt for the 60?
Thanks again for all the replies. This is a great forum.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Flyboy wrote:
I enjoy the planing sensation a lot more than the foiling sensation
Could you elaborate on that? It seems to me that the whole point of water sports is ... well, the water! Interacting with the infinitely variable surface. I haven't foiled myself & would be interested to try it, but I have this suspicion that once the initial challenge of learning & the novelty of the sensation wears off, it it will just be a "mowing the lawn" experience.

I don't really know how to explain how foiling feels other than it's just very different to a planing board. I don't feel like I'm connected to the water at all while riding above it. It's a quiet type of glide and you're a couple of feet above the water. It's more like flying.

I thought I would catch the foil bug as a lot of people on here seems to have but I just didn't. My foil is not the board I go to first. It's the board I go to when I don't feel like struggling on a light wind day.

You should definitely give it a try, it's a totally different sensation. I wouldn't give the foil up just because of its insane light wind abilities. But because I'm only interested riding it on light wind days, I'm not progressing very fast on it. Maybe one day the foiling sensation bug will bite me but right now it's just a tool for light wind. I'll take waves over foiling ANY day.

Return to “Kitesurfing”