Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Kiteboarding Launches New Innovative Spider Bridl

Postby Speedkillz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:06 am

I was fortunate to be present when some of the testing of the Nitro5 was happening. I am still just an average-ability rider, and it is really cool when you are handed a one-off prototype, and spend a couple of hours riding and evaluating changes.

I am putting the obligatory caveat here that I am not compensated in any way for what I say about their products. I choose where to spend my money, and I spend it on Switch Kites.

Anyway, I spent the day at the park with Felix and Bill -- and did I ever gain a new level of appreciation for the amount of work that these guys put into testing kites! I'd go out for a couple of tacks, come in, and they would take notes on my comments. Slight tweaks to the kite, and right back out again. Come in, change over to my personal Nitro4 for comparison, and head back out. While it is never going to be exactly the same conditions moment-to-moment, they really pushed hard to make sure that the changes were being evaluated under the same conditions. They had the same bars on all the kites. Anyone who has worked with Bill knows that he is a detail-oriented, scientific-minded, logical and patient person. Felix is a hard-charger with gobs of experience and is able to relate well to someone like me who is far behind him in ability. It appears to me to be the perfect artist-scientist combination of Felix and Bill that produces such great products.

I love my Nitro4. I have not had a bridle wrap, but I had a few on my Nitro3, and the bridles are so similar on the Notro4 that I am sure it can happen. I don’t really worry about it. I still regard kiting as somewhat of a controlled chaos activity. Things go wrong, and I adjust. Most of the time it is skill (or lack thereof) but sometimes a bunch of little issues with gear, conditions, and choices all converge to produce a wet and wild good time. I have had similar experiences across all sorts of gear from many manufacturers. I tell my friends when they are learning and something goes more wrong than usual, that if they want to be safe with the illusion of danger, there are plenty of other activities out there. I am a grown man, flying kites for fun, and giggling like a goofball as we slip, slide, jump and crash my way across the water. I don’t take myself or anyone else too seriously. I just have fun!

The Nitro5, and specifically the new bridle, should put the bridle-wrap issue to bed. The kite rides even smoother than the Nitro4 somehow. I found myself feeling like it might lack the power of the Nitro4, but in reality it is just smoother and more predictable. I was able to jump just as high, go just as fast, and point upwind as well or better on the Nitro5 as on my Nitro4.

Take one out for a ride and see for yourself. When you come in, take a few minutes and ask yourself if it is worth all the extra money for some of the more expensive alternatives out there. If you are like me, you won’t be able to justify it when you think of all the other cool stuff that extra money buys.

Switch will continue to get my business as long as they keep working hard, producing great products, and selling those products at reasonable prices.

Anyone stopping by Oahu that wants to try a bigger kite (I ride a 14m) out at Mokuleia should just hit me up. I am happy to spread the stoke!

Aloha!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:33 am

eree needs to do a little more honework on understanding tow points me thinks.

Bridal wraps...yeh, not an huge issue (or as big as some make it) as far as I'm concerned if you are a competent rider.

A lot of fuss is made over this.

And sure the new spider bridle may have been designed to allow shorter bridles, but I'm quite optimistic from my technical exploration of the Dyno 2015 and why it flies soooo much better than anything I've ridden, that they may have inadvertently (or probably on purpose) created a much greater benefit.

Shorter bridles, yeh always good to have, but the impact on how the actual kite flies ...especially for loaded jumping, speed and consistent power through the turn may be more obvious to someone who appreciate these things.

Good buddy of mine and myself are taking our respective families up north at the end of the month, he has ordered a 10m N5...I will let you know. Will ride it back to back with a rebel 10m 2016..we will see how it goes cracking out some old school shit.

The technical attributes make sense to me, we will see if that is transferred into reality.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:53 am

Osprey1 wrote:Bill Hansen is a former aerospace engineer unlike any other many kite designers in the industry.
So here is a question. If you have a designer who is a aerospace engineer that does not kitesurf himself.

Or a designer who does kitesurf but is not officially trained as an aerospace engineer. Who makes the better kite?

The man with potentially better technical knowledge or the man with better hands on knowledge?

My call is the engineer builds the better kite to begin with as he has better understanding of aerodynamics. However the non engineer designer can learn/build that knowledge up. Ultimately the designer that is out there flying the kites In a fast range of conditions who can feel the minute changes himself will exceed the performance of the booksmart engineer who is not hands on.

PS I like the spider bridle idea. Lets see how it goes.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:02 am

What about an engineer that does kitesurfing as well? :naughty:

(I can't recall him being and aerospace engineer btw.... that would be the Gin guy if I'm not mistaken)
At University, I studied Applied Physics and after graduate school, I worked at UC Berkeley as a Research Associate on a Superconducting Electromagnetic Airborne Geophysical Prospecting system which was basically a large metal detector hanging from a helicopter.
Last edited by Faxie on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:06 am

I'd suggest it is a hype.

I want to see a diagram illustrating force distribution comparison showing tension at each bridle line in traditional setup vs. spider.

P.S. I own switch nitro 2, and it is fine kite for the money. It would be a pity if this company follows the Best track to "exclusivity" followed by disappearing market share.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Depends the mood

Postby flysurfing » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 am

isnt it similar to what Slinghsot release last year ?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:02 am

..and I want to kite that spot in the vid...damn!

all it needs now is a loaded fifth as well..lol :D

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:20 am

Faxie wrote:What about an engineer that does kitesurfing as well?
Long term I think the most dedicated, passionate, innovative, gifted person will provide the best design. Regardless of title or degree. The engineering information can be learned at any time. The passion, desire, creative thinking cannot.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:48 am

That slingshot bridle came to my mind as well. This is similar but different. This is not a new idea and has been done in foil kites for a long time. Its cross bridling. Basically running bridles between bridles or attachment points. Could fish up a heap of photos quite easy.

Love switch though, particularly love their business model. They have about the best quality on the market today. I think most people don't realize that the big brands like cab, north etc spend so much money on pro/team riders, advertising, marketing /graphics, shop and distributor margins., that little is left over to make the actual product. I love the little things at switch like their Labs videos. Shows again how much BS and little RD has actually gone on at the other brands.

I think Bill and Felix are great guys. Felix has been a great representative and it's undeniable Bill is an expert in certain areas. Sadly though I feel they are stuck with some fixed ideas about gear. I have seen Bill dismiss strutless designs and foil kites. Felix's riding style ,great as it is, doesn't really take advantage of the possibilities of available gear. It's understandable, though, bill is not a pro rider and felix grew up on kites that just fall on your head if you slack line them. Anyway I hope you guys look outside your boxes and release something I will love to own. Same goes for some other brands out there... infact a lot more so...

PS Bill a kite with Dihedral, Thoughts?

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:53 am

Hello Flysurfing:
Spider is nothing like the Slingshot RPM bridle. The Spider de-couples the SLE part from the AOA/tipping part. The only thing that moves is the front towpoint located by the lower two risers. The Spider is simple, direct, short and effective. It is also very smooth without any pulleys. :thumb:
flysurfing wrote:isnt it similar to what Slinghsot release last year ?
Nitro5-7000.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”