Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand

New kitesurf pocket accessory: kite cleat

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi kiteboarders,
I try my best to design a little accessory that keeps lines in position and add a ceramic blade to it as I think it could help to be used to grasp and manipulate our line cutting tool on a bad day... Kind of 6th finger with a claw.

Demo video:

phpBB [video]

More details: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... layms=5000
All offers I can make now are here : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... t&_sacat=0
Sorry for the draft step of presentation and for my bad English, all comment are welcome and big thanks to those who could give me a hand on my project! ;)
Attachments
P1050200red.jpg
Last edited by kitesurfvoilier on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New kitesurf pocket accessory: kite cleat

Postby BWD » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:17 pm

Looks like a good prototype.

Key points:
1. Main function is cutting line - other functions like line guide etc. are nice,but secondary features can be sacrifced if necessary to be a good line cutter.
2. For emergency use, it should cut up to 18mm lines - not just kite flying lines but also fish nets boat lines, plastic coated center lines, webbing, harness, leash, etc.
3. The cutting notch needs to be visually unmistakeable when the device is closed - the side with the cutter should be a different color from the line guides, and perhaps a different shape to differentiate sides when you can't see it. Maybe the multiple slots in one side do this, but it's not clear in the video.

The multi functionality and floating is great though, I think it has potential!

Edit: also needs to be long enough to put notch beyond finger reach to avoid entrapment/amputation!
Last edited by BWD on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:21 pm

all your links are broken except the youtube link.

You need to surround the links with link

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks for the tip Laughingman !
And BWD, thanks for your detailed point of view. I would say that it's a bit more than a prototype but first series items and:

1 Cutting tools already exist, small or big ones... The aim I try to work on was to add to the cutting tool the line management system that also already exist and that only save couple of minutes. But using it for that, you train every session grasping and manipulating your cutting tool, that's why...

2 You are definitely right. I don't know how it looks like in other countries but here in France, not all riders have cutting tool and very few would be able to grasp it in an emergency situation. Despite our federation advise to have several cutting tools... Fact is riders I know don't want big accessories (such as efficient "Jack" cutting tool), that's why I made it as small as a finger for around 20g. Ok, it cuts no more than 3 to 4mm kite line but if you already launch your securities, I guess in most case, you'll have one or maybe 2 lines remaining to be cutted. It'll never replace a real knife that freeriders should have but it's a lot better than nothing or anything you would not be able to use eyes closed, I think.

3 In fact you'll always attach it the same side on your harness (because of the leash) and grasp it every session. So you'll quickly be able to grasp it eyes closed knowing sides of it.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi kitesurfvoilier, great work.

1. the shape of the cutter - a straight pencil like object with a cross bar - is great. It could easily be made into cutting bigger rope diameters.

It could even be several blades, coming out of the end, like an umbrella, to cut in any direction. Like an anchor, everything which gets caught is cut.

2. It needs angled blades though.

3. the spring idea - a cutter which is hidden in a sheath, and upon pressing a button, like a pencil, comes to life - is a great idea. Especially if you hold the cutter like you do, just pull it out of its holster, activate it with a simple press into your palm, and cut the rope. Great idea.

4. materials - do not combine carbon with different sorts of metals, or metal at all, when in salt water. It will degrade the metal.

5. line organizer - personally I have no need for that. I would buy this thing if it came as a knife only, able to cut, say, 10mm ropes. I would work it into some kind of holster, to be worn around the fore arm, attached to the harness...

6. spring needs to be stainless

Knives coming out of the end: like a squid bait, assume the needles are knives, cutting edge towards the handle. You get the idea.
6111-3418005.jpg
Last edited by alamos_kiter on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:58 pm

alamos_kiter wrote: 5. line organizer - personally I have no need for that. I would buy this thing if it came as a knife only, able to cut, say, 10mm ropes. I would work it into some kind of holster, to be worn around the fore arm, attached to the harness...
Interesting, I would buy it as a line organizer before I would buy it as a knife... in fact I did.

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks Alamos for sharing you point of view :)

1 Yes, I agree, it could be made with several blades for bigger ropes. Maybe one day I could make a "pro model" for riders that really care !

2 Would like to make you try it, believe me for kite line or fishing line cutting, it's very efficient.

3 Thx.

4 Yes, that's right. Carbon is not directly in contact with metal parts. I let some in heavy salted water for months, it's still ok...

5 Ok, well noted for next time (if there's one)

6 U r right, of course it is SST.

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Yes Laughingman, well received, thanks for your trust, it'll be posted today. ;) Guess it's more for snowkiting nowadays in Canada ! Enjoy ! Here, snow is becoming late...
And in fact, that's the point, find the good compromise between size and efficiency, offer different version for functions that kiteboarders wants or not depending on their level / habits / kind of practice... I tried my best.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Nice product - I agree, the line organiser was the selling point for me.

Looking fwd to receiving mine once I've sorted out my PayPal account :roll:

zob
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:38 pm

4. There are actually several international standards called "Salt spray test" where you can find prescribed test conditions to simulate long term exposure. Having it submerged won't rust as rapid as when having it exposed to the atmosphere.

Although I do not feel the need for a kite knife or line manager (with foil kite) your product seems well engineered.

Return to “Kitesurfing”