Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Forum for kitesurfers
faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Postby faklord » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Ah! Old school!
But not so good if you want to use a swivel to untwist lines?

Thanks

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:24 pm

I got rid of swivels long time ago. I just loop the same amount the other way if there's twist.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Faxie wrote:Is qpower US only or something? You never hear anyone talking about it over here...
Where is "here"?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:14 am

alamos_kiter wrote:
Faxie wrote:Is qpower US only or something? You never hear anyone talking about it over here...
Where is "here"?
Netherlands, but Europe as well. Not very common around here. Just regular dyneema.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alamos_kiter » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:18 am

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:59 am

https://www.kiteboarding.com/products.a ... +Line+Sets

Kiteboarding.com will make up flying line sets with various line types including q-powerline.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:22 pm

"https://www.kiteboarding.com/products.a ... +Line+Sets

Kiteboarding.com will make up flying line sets with various line types including q-powerline."

The pictures on this site indicate the lines are terminated by zig-zag sewing rather than fig 8 knots?
Is this a recognized way of terminating q-power line?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:57 pm

faklord wrote: The pictures on this site indicate the lines are terminated by zig-zag sewing rather than fig 8 knots?
no it's not. the specs on q-powerline (or any other cored line) require a knotted end or sleeved and knotted. The reason is that if you sew the ends all the load on the line is going to go on your stitching. Cored line goes straight thru there's no weave to it so the stitch has to both bind the lines together and press hard enough to prevent slip. Normal stitching is stitching designed not to carry load. so no, it's not up to spec. However . . . I like it. If you stitch with strong enough thread and do enough stitches it will in fact carry the load of the line. And you'll end up with a slimmer less tangly line set. I think it's a good idea to do q-power this way but you have to be careful when making line sets this way. make sure when you buy a stitched line set like this that you use pigtails on both ends. This helps prevent wear to the line set. If you end up having to cut the q-power due to wear on the ends you will probably have to knot it and you'll lose this nice stitched loop.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Surely, if you use a pigtail, you effectively have a reef knot and the stitching is just 'tidying up the loose end' & so not really load carrying, thought I accept with slippery dyneema there will be some loading to prevent slippage (but nothing like the full line load). I would have thought the same applies but to a lesser extent, if the line has a direct larks head?

I can see that with q line, the stitching would act mainly on the sheath rather than the load carrying core (where in a braided line there is no core so the stitching acts on the load carrying part of the line).
I don't see why the stitching in q line needs to be any stronger than for braided line. The question is whether the sheath in q line is strong enough to prevent slippage & if it works for some it should work for all? Maybe the stitched overlap needs to be a bit longer than for braided?

Another issue is I suspect it may be difficult to sew q line without an industrial machine....ill give it a go and see what happens.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:53 pm

edt wrote: The pictures on this site indicate the lines are terminated by zig-zag sewing rather than fig 8 knots?

no it's not. the specs on q-powerline (or any other cored line) require a knotted end or sleeved and knotted. The reason is that if you sew the ends all the load on the line is going to go on your stitching.

the stitching doesn't carry ALL the load, it only carry a fraction and only when the line loosens. Larks head/reef knots when tight strangle themselves preventing the line from slipping the stitches only need to hold this slipping force. which is why you can get away with not using spectra sewing thread, and imperfect sewing.

Try the following. Take unstitched q power, tie a larks head. tighten it good onto something. leave the end you'd normally tie or stitch loose. you can now hang of the line if it's tight enough despite having NO stitching or knots at all on the free end. loosen it up a little and it'll slip

This should give you a bit more confidence if you F up a stitch or 2.

If you're still concerned the Canadian distributor of q power can also get you some spectra thread. I've hack tested a few lines even with intentionally sketchy stitching with regular polyester sewing thread and my termination point is not normally the source of failure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”