kommisarrex
Rare Poster
Gear: n/a
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Flying Near D.C.

Postby kommisarrex » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:26 pm

hi all. This forum has been very useful learning about kiteboarding. I took the plunge and will be taking lessons in riviera maya at the end of February. I live in the Washington D.C. area (pentagon city) and bought a trainer kite to get in some practice beforehand. Thing is, I have no idea where is a good place to practice with the trainer. There are so many weird security regulations in this part of the country and I also don't know where there's reasonable consistent wind. Long Bridge Park and the bike trail near national airport seem to have good winds and open space, but, they are near the airport and flight paths. Any ideas? I'm totally solo here on this (no friends or family kite), so appreciate your input.

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone

Re: Kite Flying Near D.C.

Postby boardjockey » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:11 pm

eastkb.com

OBX Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Secret Spot, Virginia; Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras, Garda
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Jimmy Lewis boards.

Postby OBX Kiter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:28 am

Dude, they snowkite on the National Mall right under the Washington Monument every time it snows. Google it…and go fly your kite! :thumb:

bpchilds
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha/DaKine

Postby bpchilds » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:19 am

Welcome to the neighborhood,

I am in Arlington. It is different here in this area. I am used to big beaches and great wind on Long Island. Definitely check out EastKB.com.

As for the area you are asking about on the bike trail, I would advise not flying a kite near the airport. There are new rules and regs for drones in the area and I bet a kite like that may be framed upon so close to an airport. I don't know but I would look for another spot. More south in Alexandria probably.

B

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:51 am

Hi

The applicable FAA regulations regarding flying kites are pretty small. So if your in the US, adhere to the following:

§101.13 Operating limitations.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate a moored balloon or kite—
(1) Less than 500 feet from the base of any cloud;
(2) More than 500 feet above the surface of the earth;
(3) From an area where the ground visibility is less than three miles; or
(4) Within five miles of the boundary of any airport.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to the operation of a balloon or kite below the top of any structure and within 250 feet of it, if that shielded operation does not obscure any lighting on the structure.

Paragraph b is why its okay to fly on the National Mall around the Washington Monument, even though your still well within 5 miles of a major airport. You would be in violation in an open park on an approach/departure path to an airport, especially a major one like National Airport (DCA).

Best of luck with your soon to be new addiction, and enjoy flying your trainer kite.

JD

Return to “Kitesurfing”