flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Depends the mood
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha Contra 2016 in 15M review ?

Postby flysurfing » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:03 am

Hello,

I'd like to find out if anyone has some feedback on the Contra 2016 in 15m.

How is the kite behaving in light wind VS the Velocity for example ?

Thx

dejavu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Favorite Beaches: Melbourne Australia
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Protec, Rip Curl

Re: Cabrinha Contra 2016 in 15M review ?

Postby dejavu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:21 pm

Fantastic kite, very light bar feel, smooth transitions flies great with the new 2016 cleat bar. Much better than my old Switchblade. I have used with 140, 160 and 170 boards in 12 to 20kn.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:44 pm

I had the 2015 Contra in a 15m. super fun kite. It sits deep in the window so it has a ton of power for its size, quick turning, easy relaunch and impressive unhooked performance and great stability.

In Washington we have big tide changes which means strong currents that can make it challenging to go upwind. I ended up switching to the velocity 14m this year since I don't unhook as much as I used to and I wanted a kite with maximum upwind efficiency. The Contra is a better all arounder but if you're in an area where upwind efficiency is critical you may want to look at the velocity too. The velocity rides like a crossbow except its lightweight which adds a lot of stability in lulls and makes lightwind relaunch much easier.

If you ride onshore conditions with small tide changes get the contra.

If you ride sideshore conditions with big tide changes get the velocity.

If you like to unhook get the contra

If you don't really unhook get the velocity.

If you plan on getting a foil or have a foil already get the velocity.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:35 pm

C Johnson wrote:I had the 2015 Contra in a 15m. super fun kite. It sits deep in the window so it has a ton of power for its size, quick turning, easy relaunch and impressive unhooked performance and great stability.

In Washington we have big tide changes which means strong currents that can make it challenging to go upwind. I ended up switching to the velocity 14m this year since I don't unhook as much as I used to and I wanted a kite with maximum upwind efficiency. The Contra is a better all arounder but if you're in an area where upwind efficiency is critical you may want to look at the velocity too. The velocity rides like a crossbow except its lightweight which adds a lot of stability in lulls and makes lightwind relaunch much easier.

If you ride onshore conditions with small tide changes get the contra.

If you ride sideshore conditions with big tide changes get the velocity.

If you like to unhook get the contra

If you don't really unhook get the velocity.

If you plan on getting a foil or have a foil already get the velocity.

I was thinking of getting a Velocity also. I had a Conta and was not crazy about it. Like other light wind kites(med aspect) they stay in the air well, relaunch well, and have lots of low end grunt, but suck at going upwind , and are a beast when they get overpowered..
I think beginners are better off with a kite like the Contra, but once you have the kite flying skills to keep your kite dry a higher aspect kite like the Velocity or Edge could be a better choice for experienced riders.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12, Cabrinha Apollo 10
Brand Affiliation: XL Kites

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:40 pm

And one more + for the Velocity. It has loftier hangtime, that's for sure. You can always tell when someone's riding a Velocity here, as they tend to go higher and longer than everyone else. :naughty:

Strekke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10m, 2017 Naish Dash 8m, 2015 North Dice 7m, Firewire Vanguard 5'1, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil

Postby Strekke » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:33 pm

Haven't ridden those kites but if you're going for a LW kite don't underestimate the importance of upwind performance. I had a grunty 17m kite but sold it - it got me going early because it had nice pull but what's the point if it's a struggle to get back upwind and you still have to do the walk of shame? Might as well not get a LW kite then (unless if you have a different def of LW - I wanted to ride and hold ground easily in 10 kts but needed at least 12/13).

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:00 pm

i have the 15m contra.........there is no downwind pull........im about 73kg......and have ridden it in 15 to 20kts on a mako....upwind like a champ........ive been on a 16m switchblade and 18m crossbow........the crossbow even at 8 kts couldnt go upwind....and switchblade at about 12 or 13 pulling me downwind.

skullcandy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Powered Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 8m/10m/12m
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150

Postby skullcandy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:38 pm

matth wrote: I was thinking of getting a Velocity also. I had a Conta and was not crazy about it. Like other light wind kites(med aspect) they stay in the air well, relaunch well, and have lots of low end grunt, but suck at going upwind , and are a beast when they get overpowered..
I think beginners are better off with a kite like the Contra, but once you have the kite flying skills to keep your kite dry a higher aspect kite like the Velocity or Edge could be a better choice for experienced riders.
Totally agree... not to highjack brand discussion here but I had a Ozone Zephyr and replaced it with an Edge as I got more experienced. Having much more fun boosting, gliding on the Edge and UW performance is grossly good. Same with Velocity I would imagine as both in that race/free ride family.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Chesapeake, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, Cabrinha

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Just picked up a 2016 15m in blue and orange. Beautiful kite, construction looks really good. I was a bit surprised that there were no pulleys, have the new genegation of Contras (starting 2014 I believe) all been like this.?

I'm sure it will fly well, just curious. My other kites are all Switcblades, my 2015 12m has only one pulley, I guess they have been reducing the use of pulleys to keep prices so reasonable :D Not that any of the other big companies are cheaper, they all seem to be about the same.

K

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn

Postby KiteDR » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:14 pm

ktflyer381 wrote:Just picked up a 2016 15m in blue and orange. Beautiful kite, construction looks really good. I was a bit surprised that there were no pulleys, have the new genegation of Contras (starting 2014 I believe) all been like this.?

I'm sure it will fly well, just curious. My other kites are all Switcblades, my 2015 12m has only one pulley, I guess they have been reducing the use of pulleys to keep prices so reasonable :D Not that any of the other big companies are cheaper, they all seem to be about the same.
You like it - I have a 2014 Contra & SB's (good setup! :thumb: ) and I'll have to double check but I am almost sure yes to pulleys through 15 I think? Removed them for a more direct feel or something... I haven't flown 2016s yet to compare but with all that R&D $$ I'm sure it was for a reason better than to save a bit of cash in production.

Return to “Kitesurfing”