deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Woo vs Xensr

Postby deniska » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:36 pm

downunder wrote:Thanks for the time and effort in comparing the two.

Im not disturbed by this. Its fun device either one you purchase. If interested in exact science of measurements I would suggest to get a surveying equipment or talk to NASA:)

Oh, and don't buy expensive watches coz they can run late ;) Who would have thought. Continue the line .....
sorry, but your expensive watch analogy sucks..
most vintage watches are ~99.98% accurate for the tasks they are designed for:
http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/accuracy.shtml
so if you want to measure a rather short race with your grandpa's watch the biggest source of error will come from your reaction times..

best expectation for Woo is currently 90-95% consistency (with most people arguing that it's much less), and Xensr seems to fall around 70-80%.. so on my scale of things - they are expensive, but far from watches.. :-)

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:46 pm

deniska wrote:

Im not disturbed by this. Its fun device either one you purchase. If interested in exact science of measurements I would suggest to get a surveying equipment or talk to NASA:)

Oh, and don't buy expensive watches coz they can run late ;) Who would have thought. Continue the line .....
so if you want to measure a rather short race with your grandpa's watch the biggest source of error will come from your reaction times..

best expectation for Woo is currently 90-95% consistency (with most people arguing that it's much less), and Xensr seems to fall around 70-80%.. so on my scale of things - they are expensive, but far from watches.. :-)
Agree!!

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby baxterbradford » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for doing the comparison test Dave. Disappointing that Xensr didn't engage and reply to present their case and share any new developments they might have in the pipeline.
Woo has had firmware upgrades since its launch hasn't it? Xensr is on their first. Whilst that's no excuse in an ideal world, where things are brought to market with perfect performance, it does mean that there's a strong chance performance will improve.
I have a Fuji camera and since I bought it, they have massively boosted its performance in a number of different areas by the release of a series of new, free firmware as their software engineers have devised new ways of handling tasks. They've also listened to customers and added feature sets that help meet their needs.
I've now got a Xensr and used it once, the button pressing routine is less than ideal to switch on and similarly when storing session data at the end. I cannot get the App to find my device either via Bluetooth. Their website isn't exactly brimming with information, but my.xensr.com does work.
When buying the Xensr, I was perfectly aware of the pitfalls of being an early adaptor, but decided that I was happy to take the risk wanting to have the GPS tracking facility. Not everyone will feel the same way and so probably ought not to buy until their criteria are met.

davedej
Medium Poster
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:27 pm

baxterbradford wrote:Thanks for doing the comparison test Dave. Disappointing that Xensr didn't engage and reply to present their case and share any new developments they might have in the pipeline.
Woo has had firmware upgrades since its launch hasn't it? Xensr is on their first. Whilst that's no excuse in an ideal world, where things are brought to market with perfect performance, it does mean that there's a strong chance performance will improve.
I have a Fuji camera and since I bought it, they have massively boosted its performance in a number of different areas by the release of a series of new, free firmware as their software engineers have devised new ways of handling tasks. They've also listened to customers and added feature sets that help meet their needs.
I've now got a Xensr and used it once, the button pressing routine is less than ideal to switch on and similarly when storing session data at the end. I cannot get the App to find my device either via Bluetooth. Their website isn't exactly brimming with information, but my.xensr.com does work.
When buying the Xensr, I was perfectly aware of the pitfalls of being an early adaptor, but decided that I was happy to take the risk wanting to have the GPS tracking facility. Not everyone will feel the same way and so probably ought not to buy until their criteria are met.
Very well explained; there is more than just jump height. The thing is we saw so much reactions on guys posting dual maxima (with the same differences, but without any explanation) that this had to be done.
Woo's respons was very clear on that "you are actually the first that digged into the data".
btw we needed Woo's help since we had a 2hr session where a Woo on screen just displays hh:mm time after 1h. So not accurate enough to compare with the Xensr. Lucky thing the Woo data center good help me out. The second session was ruined because we wanted to split it up in several sessions, but the Xensr had no data in it. Probably just like you had; too impatient pressing buttons from our side. That indeed is something to get used to.
Dave

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites

Postby baxterbradford » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:19 pm

I had to really work at learning the Xensr button pressing routine with several fails and no data. I trialled in on a couple of short car journeys to get the routine sorted. My jumps were disappointing at Zero.... but speed was good and accurate!
I was told by my dealer to do short 30 min sessions instead of one very long one because it takes a long while for the unit to store all the recorded data. If you switch it off before the 4 LEDs have stopped rotating in sequence before all lighting up again, then all data is lost. The downside of this if powering down fully, is that it takes a while to acquire GPS, so definitely start it recording before launching kite. I think I will try leaving it left switched on but not recording between outings. They claim that battery will last all day, so it might be a convenient work-around.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Any plan to test the traceup against the others?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:15 am

deniska wrote:

I said "coz they can", didn't I? And you jumped off your chair patronizing me with assumptions about myself. Assumption is the mother of all fcukups...

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 am

I was so eager to get out on the Xensr, that I went out on a partially frozen lake. I set up on land, walked out on the (hopefully) solid ice and launch my 7m Edge from behind a man-mad island. I rode an old Nobile 666 with no fins so I could slide across the ice to open water.

Well, I got going too fast on the ice and tried to slow down, but crashed. That led to the jump #1 error. Then I got back up and fell through the ice before I made it to open water. The board was upside down in the water, which may have thrown off the GPS. I had to smash ice to get back to the board. (I was in an Ocean Rodeo Soul drysuit with softsocks built in).

Jump #3 was also an error. I didn't jump as high as it said. I'm pretty sure that was when I tried to board press a sheet of ice sticking out from the rest of the solid ice upwind of me. I had to put the board back on after that one too.

The blue lines in the image are roughly where the ice sheet was.

The rest of jumps could be accurate. The GPS for the rest certainly is. It was very gusty and although I never got going that fast, I was getting crazy big boosts whenever I felt a strong gust.
Xensr track_edited-2.jpg
The previous reviews that said the LEDs are not bright enough is indisputable. I had to put my hand over the Xensr to see what was blinking or not. They told me they are making the translucent "X" clear to make the LEDs easier to read.

Thanks,
Stafford

www.adventurekiteboarding.com
Attachments
Xensr track.JPG

exWOO
Rare Poster
Gear: Best
Been thanked: 0

Postby exWOO » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:24 am

Normally, I would state that WOO surely must be better since I’ve worked on its software. But as a WOO ex-worker that has been unpaid for a couple of months of their work, I guess it’s safer to go with the other guys device. If a company doesn’t pay their people, it might mean they are not going to survive much longer.
All the best,
Concerned ex-WOO

davedej
Medium Poster
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 am

exWOO wrote:Normally, I would state that WOO surely must be better since I’ve worked on its software. But as a WOO ex-worker that has been unpaid for a couple of months of their work, I guess it’s safer to go with the other guys device. If a company doesn’t pay their people, it might mean they are not going to survive much longer.
All the best,
Concerned ex-WOO
Wow, you really convinced everybody now!
Your first post while you are at least months part of the industry?!

Return to “Kitesurfing”